/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxjournal.com/article/8478
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=652393#p652393
mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/resolv.conf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

any unix wizards ITT?
inotify won't work on /proc
what's the best way to monitor for new processes (in C)?

I found something called GNOME Tweaks which used to be called Gnome Tweak Tool. For some retarded reason, the Ubuntu GNOME doesn't bundle it with the main distro.
It does let me change font scaling. I still haven't figured out how to reduce window and icon size though.

linuxjournal.com/article/8478
>tfw post from 8 years ago

What's the output of gsettings list-recursively | grep -i scaling?

Does anyone regonize this colorscheme?

org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor uint32 1
org.gnome.desktop.interface text-scaling-factor 0.89999999999999991
org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.publishing-gallery3 scaling-constraint-id 0
org.yorba.shotwell.sharing.publishing-gallery3 scaling-pixels 1024

>open GIMP
>use color picker tool
>create it yourself

>org.gnome.desktop.interface scaling-factor uint32 1
That looks normal and how it should be. I don't know what's causing your big icons. Is it just the icons or are widgets (the GUI buttons, checkboxes, etc) also affected?

have a oneliner
python2 -c 'import gtk; gtk.ColorSelectionDialog("benis").run()'

What are some cool terminal commands?

Nevermind, I found it. Based TinEye.
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=652393#p652393

How can I check if a mobile linux distro supports my phone yet, and what do I need to do/contribute if it doesnt? I want off the android botnet.

I see that we start getting rid of that non GNU Linux thread. Nice.

as
gdb
vim
bash

Is there any way to reduce the letter spacing in termite like the "letterSpace" option in urxvt?

It seems to be displaying Terminus really wide

How does one direct output of a program in to another program.

Say i want to ls a folder that will grep all source files and feed them in to gcc

>He is an interviewer and a good one at that. His job is to get a maximum amount of interesting information out of the guest and show guests personality NOT to argue about everything and trying to shove his opinion in everybodies mounth. You should study how things work before you can criticize them.
Sorry, but after watching him calling RMS a hypocrite pedophile in one show and some months later at the interview with RMS he agreed to pretty much to everything RMS said. I'm simply done with his "interesting information". Fuck this guy.

for f in $(ls -R dir | grep -e '\.c$'); do gcc -c "$f"; done

cat ~

Frown.

mywiki.wooledge.org/ParsingLs
"strings" prints printable strings found in any binary. Example/fun usage:
strings /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so | grep -A51 Dave

Interesting.
But wont that execute gcc for every file instead of feeding them all in a single call ?

>But wont that execute gcc for every file instead of feeding them all in a single call ?
Yes. But why do you want to compile all the source files in one pass?

What the fuck man, ever heard of globbing?
for f in *.c is enough.

strings /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so | grep -A51 Dave | cowsay

Where is the problem?

Calling 2 whole processes that have no business being called? It'll work, but it's dumb.

- parsing ls is never a good idea since ls heavily depends on the users locale settings
- it spawns a useless process
- globbing is a thing, if you need to go deeper use find for portability or enable globstar in bash

strings /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so | grep -A51 Dave | shuf -n1 | cowsay

Isint that how its supposed to compile a program ?
Sure i could just create an object file for every file and then link them.
Is there any difference tho ?
I'm new to the gnu toolchain.

cowsay is clearly the best reason to switch to gnu plus linux

>- parsing ls is never a good idea since ls heavily depends on the users locale settings
We're talking about code
so the user locale is set to en_US, don't argue
>- it spawns a useless process
no comments
>find for portability
I do it, but find has the same problems with whitespaces

And it's written in based motherfucking oldschool 1337 PERL.

>Is there any difference tho ?
You can do compilation in // and recompile only what's need to be recompiled

havent seen someone writing perl stuff in years, pretty sad tbqh, seems that python, ruby, etc pretty much killed it, which is inane, since perl eveloped with gnu/linux over the years, is available everywhere and a nice language for simple programs. when you try hard, you can even replace any awk, grep, sed stuff with perl.

>awk '/foo/ { print $4 }'
perl -anE '/foo/ and say $F[4]
>sed 's/ linux/ GNU\/Linux/g'
perl -pe 's/ linux/ GNU\/Linux/g'
[...]

learn perl niggas!

But would that effect -O3 ? Since you cant really optimize for the entire program when you already have compiled code.

>language nobody can read

I'm not sure that optimization is done across files.
And it doesn't scale.
And you don't need that kind of optimization.

whats the best solution for having botnet gaming ang gnu+linux serious business?

dualboot?
2 disks?

any hints welcome

The following is a list of Windows 'scloosives that are worth a shit and can' t be played on Linux:

can someone please post their .rtorrent.rc
preferably someone on a home connection

Windows as a base OS with Linux running on a VM. Alternatively dualboot

>semi best
linux host, windows vm with gpu passthrough
and not even here you're secure since there is trickery to get around vm
best: ditch shit, it forces people developting stuff that doesnt cuck you
cuck: dualboot, there's basially no way for windows fucking with your linux, but never say never, at leat when you upgrade windows it may fuck with your bootloader and act like your linux partition just was a dream

>pro botnet posting

Did you even read his post? He wants a botnet.
>whats the best solution for having botnet

It's everything, but the sidebar icons do stick out. The window bars are also stupidly big.
Fonts look better now. Is there an easy way to scale the desktop "fatness" down like I did to the fonts?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I basically only want to use Windows for gaming, nothing else. I want to do my real computing on Debian.

I quietened it down a bit since I thought you stupid cunts learned your lesson but it looks like you need some more potty training
So here we go again

some more tatoos and he could play in a black metal band

You did this, didn't you, Stallman.

Or maybe it's just because people relized your troll thread is shit anyway. Your daily 404 just confirms your failure.
>tricking newfriends into bricking their systems
>what is the best linux distro for beginners?
>install alpine
>so I replaced all GNU communism with busybox, now, how do I run bash scripts? pls help
:^)

>Babbies First Linux
>extensive comparison of tens of distros
pls I just want a distro to do some programming on
what do

There is unironically an AUR package for this?

All pics off rms.sexy:
wget -nc -nd -nv -e robots=off -r -Ajpg,JPG -ERhtml rms.sexy/img

All pic off stallman.org:
n="$(wget -qO- stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/ | sed -n 's#.*href="\(.*\)\.html".*#\1#p' | sort -n | tail -1)"; i=1; while [ "$i" -ne "$n" ]; do wget -qO- "stallman.org/photos/rms-working/pages/${i}.html" | sed -n 's#.*alt="\([^"].*[jpg|JPG]\).*#stallman.org/photos/rms-working/\1#p'; i="$((i+1))"; done | xargs wget -nc -nv

>Those commands download pics into the current directory, so create one, cd into it and run the cmds.

Hi, /fglt/.

I have a question.

So, the issue with a lot of trackers is that the music they distribute has a lot of bad metadata and is often organized by album, not by artist. Both of these issues means that my music library is incredibly inconsistent, but, besides symlinking, my problem is that I cannot modify the data in any way, or else I would longer be able to seed everything.

What I'm wondering is if there's a music player for GNU/Linux that enables me to automatically scan that downloads directory, copy new files from that directory to another, and organize the directories according to their metadata?

I suspect that Clementine has this feature, but I'm not sure. Can anyone help me out?

all hail to the guy who made this

Is Debian the single best distro?

It's one fucking retard, probably one of you, who keeps spouting the alpine meme. The more people begin to realize what cancer GNU is the more idiots like him will get drowned out.

install ooboontoo. there are a lot of people who are like you so it's easy to get help. Need the latest tools? the ubuntu PPAs have them.

Why do most gtk3 themes display like this? I'm on debian and I can't find the correct way to google this :S

My gtk version is 3.22.11-1

Stock Ubuntu

I have a heart for people who have nothing, so here is a (You) for you. Take care of it.

I remember there was some total conversion of xface, making it look like windows 2000, anyone got the link? It was some github.

thanks familiamo will do

The .deb evolution is debian:ubuntu:mint so far.
Is neanderthal the best human?

Forgot pic

well bud, there is a company who wants to get some sheckles by driving debian windows friendly with lots of nonfree stuff support and being shit in general. wsl is basically the fault of canonical

gtk3 is unstable, themes for one specific version won't work right on another

I had the same problems with Arc. Turns out my GTK version was too new. With some themes you're out of luck. Arc had a newer version available on Github

Advantage of a swap partition over a swap file? Every single install uses / advises to use the former but I don't know why

Python is also available everywhere. So is Ruby. If Perl was "worth it" it would not have "died".
You can replace awk, grep and sed with any general programming language.

Whats wrong with it just works? Thats what the casual user actually wants. He doesn't want to jump though hoops in order to install a wifi driver. He want to have a distro which works.
Saying in the words of Linux:
>Ubuntu made Debian usable.

python is slow as shit
ruby is better, but its basically the same a perl with python mentality added

If you want "it just works" get a mac.

>Whats wrong with it just works?
The purpose of GNU/Linux systems is customizing, modifications, sharing modifications, freedom. E.g. technical benifits. When're a normie and you get a system which is premade to be used like Windows, you use it like Windows and people start demanding crap like
>REEEE why crappy skype support
etc which ultimativly ends up with more nonfree software and the opposite of customizing, modifications, sharing modifications and freedom.

inb4 gnu communism and linus quotes

-the swap partition is reserved for swap only
-swapfiles must be whole. If the empty file you create with dd if=/dev/zero is fragmented the kernel will refuse to activate it as swap after you mkswap it ofc

Beets my nigga

New kernels my friends.

youre basically right, but nonfree software available on linux make more people use linux

not him, but
>We must recognise that companies developing non-free software that works with GNU/Linux are not contributing to the system or to our community. Instead, they are trying to distract people and lead them away from freedom. Their 'investment' is like building a factory designed to pollute the air. It does harm, not good, to our community.

Well, if market share is the goal, sure, software support makes a difference, but you're asking for a future system, which is basically just as cucked like Android but on the desktop, which makes me unironically fear the year of the Linux desktop happening.

noob here, going though the pain setting up arch like a real man, now I'm struck with finding a good dns resolver, google seems uncool, what dns severs do you suggest ?

opendns is OK

keep reading the arch wiki, wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/resolv.conf

thanks buddies!

your ISP's.

ewwwww is this pic shopped? I hope it is... HE FUCKING ATE THAT SHIT

>shopped

>never felt the pleasure walking through some sand near a lake/sea
You should go outside more often senpai.

excuse me, GIMPED

that doesn't explain his fucking fungus-ridden toenails

I don't think he realized it was sand.

>going outside
thats what normies do

>being triggered by some stupid memes
grow a thicker skin man

how to git gud with lemonbar?
I figured to install it but I dont get how this shit even works.

Basically, you have a script which prints shit, this script is pipes to lemonbar to display.
Simple example:
while sleep 1.0; do printf -- '%%{r} %s \n' "$(cat /proc/loadavg)"; done | lemonbar -F '#ffdddddd' -B '#cc111111' -b -f '-*-terminus-*'

Now, you read the manpage of lemonbar in order to customize the apperance and you learn how2shell to display stuff lemonbar should display for you.

At some point you want to create a named pipe and write all those informations to it - and parse it with another script for lemonbar to read. That way your bar script doesn't lock.

There's also polybar, for the same shit, but more noob friendly.

happy hacking

t-ty for the hint senpai, I guess polybar is more my cup of tea!