Talos II - POWER9 motherboard

Would you buy this if you could afford it?
raptorcs.com/TALOSII/

If I could afford this I would buy it. I have no money tho.

This

hows this new ibm cpu? are they better than intels workstation cpus?

>Would you buy this if you could afford it?
No. It's no fun to run an exotic system like that except as a hobby.

So this a single core has 4 threads? so it's a 4C/16T cpu?

Yeah, if dropping a few grand was something I could do just for entertainment, you bed I'd have one

even less games than lincucks, thanks but no thanks.
Into le ebin it goes where it belongs

Yes.

Who said anything about "if"?

you better fucking post in the guts thread when you get that user

I mean it

>SMT8
>24 CORE
>Power
Fuck yes I would.

>$2.8k on a meme computer

should have dumped that money in to ethereum user

>pci-e 4.0
AMD AND INTEL BTFO

Fuck, man. That's awesome.

i can confirm as someone who managers enterprise power 7/8 machines this is a waste of money

It'll be my pleasure. Hopefully I'll be able to get an IBM case similar to this that'll take the EATX board.

Looks interesting. Perhaps I still will.

Can one man lift that thing?

Considering I can (albeit awkwardly) lift one of these, yes.

It's about the same price of a workstation. It's not cheap enough for mainstream use, but that price isn't completely horrible.

talos + amigaOS when?

I bet Threadraper beats it.

Those things aren't really heavy though.

Is that an old HP NetServer? We had one of those with four Pentium Pro 200s. Fucker was a beast.

>doesn't rip threads wide open
Dropped

Does AIX work on it? Can you acquire AIX through Talos?

Enjoy your AMD PSP botnet newcuck.

BSD guy should be brown, and shown as working for apple without pay with a Steve Jobs skeltan laughing in the background.

when is pcie4 coming to the rest of the world?

Talos is from raptor engineering
they work on a lot of backporting and reverse engineering software

mainly binary drivers in graphics and they focus on graphics accel and complete foss booting environments

its the same team that leah rowe aka trannyboot ie libreboot hired to work on a majority of hardware projects and never paid

pretty messed up tbqh
they have some crazy ideas and projects though and i respect the engineering and foss aspect

BSD users are all balding cucks that let corporations use their software without reinbursement or even upstream patching

ie sonys ps4, nintendos switch, apples macos, and even googles magenta

>implying I can't afford it
the question is why would I want to buy this meme hardware, no point when it won't run all my games

>he actually did it
I will be awaiting full review on youtube from you nigger.

zo what cpu? sorry but if it had an am4 slot and had the networking block ME on a hardware level then id buy it

>what cpu? sorry but if it had an am4 slot and had the networking block ME on a hardware level then id buy it
i'll try to answer this.
>what cpu
two ibm power9 with pcie 4.0
>sorry but if it had an am4 slot
It runs IBM cpus, so no am4.
>sorry but if it had an am4 slot and had the networking block ME on a hardware level then id buy it
Intel has ME, and AMD has trustzone, or PSP, or whatever they call it now, and it cannot be blocked as it is needed to initiate the cores/cpu.

it can be blocked from sendinf requests.
its obvious ehich cpu it has, its weak as shit though

i can afford this and i have a use case for it but iam carefull how i spent my money and time so i will wait for reports from day to day users

iam also hoping to run this with an amd graphics card on their open source drivers. but then i will have a firmware binary-blob in my graphics card again, so that kinda defeats the point unless someone makes a blob-free gpu again

red flags for me right now are also:
-their kickstarter failed
-i don't know a distro that supports power0 or ships binaries for it. powerpc support was dropped from most dristros in general and i think this isn't exactly powerpc (correct me if iam wrong)
- the only distro i do know that should suppport this is gentoo but that basically runs everywhere. hower this machine should have decent compile times so maybe i will give it a try some day

Waiting to see if they actually ship this time. If they do and the benchmarks look good, then I'll order one.

>-i don't know a distro that supports power0 or ships binaries for it.

And as for the other point
>The Debian/PowerPC64 (ppc64) port project is active for supporting Big-endian 64-bit PowerPC CPUs as follows: PowerPC 970/970FX/970MP/970GX, Cell BE and PowerXCell 8i (PPE only), POWER4/4+, POWER5/5+, POWER6/6+, POWER7/7+, POWER8, POWER9, PowerPC A2, Xenon, PA6T, PowerPC e5500, PowerPC e6500.

>debian

>-i don't know a distro that supports power0 or ships binaries for it.
IBM claims that the 4 core power9 that is bundled with the talos II are made to run with a linux ecosystem.

shame it cant run real operating systems

thanks for an answer to my question thou

Okay, Intel fuccboi.

The question isn't (when is it coming out).. It's when cards will actually support it. I'm guessing 2018 with the launch of the new vidya.

You're in the wrong thread.

it shouldn't have a problem running bsd senpai

et no plan9

If IBM can make a platform even cheaper than this than they could potentially be back in the consumer space with many people working on it, and porting software.

No, because I don't actually have any software to run on it. Why would I buy a computer I don't need? It would be fun to fuck around with for a while but ultimately get old pretty fast when you don't actually have any application that actually puts all that nice hardware to work.

Runs *nix (linux, bsd) and amiga. What software are you looking for?

it cant run x86 programs.

No it can't, but you can cross compile software, or just compile programs on the ibm cpu itself.

Let me put it this way, I can run Linux on it, of course, but I have no actual application which would put the CPUs, the amount of RAM or the PCIe 4.0 to good use.

real useful if i dont have source code or a compatibility layer

>real useful if i dont have source code or a compatibility layer
I don't understand this at all. What are you implying?

Are you implying that source code to the software you want is not available, or that a compiler is not available?

the former, compatibility layer im talking about if its already compiled for a different os. short of using a vm of course

No, the software I want is available but it does not require such high-end hardware. I don't need a dual-CPU POWER9 workstation to browse the internet, run mpv and write microcontroller firmware for hobby projects. Same goes for my home server, I don't need a dual-CPU POWER9 server to run OpenVPN, file sharing and a media server.

>No, the software I want is available but it does not require such high-end hardware. I don't need a dual-CPU POWER9 workstation to browse the internet, run mpv and write microcontroller firmware for hobby projects. Same goes for my home server, I don't need a dual-CPU POWER9 server to run OpenVPN, file sharing and a media server.
Ok I understand this situation. I would also be interested in a single socket implementation myself, but right now raptor engineering doesn't provide one as far as I know.
If you are interested in the power architecture there are some vendors who sell desktop boards (amiga/a-eon, and sam/a-cube), but they are niche/pricier than average.

Do you know whether I would be able to order Talos to my friend in USA, so that he repackages it to some old cardboard and ships it to me, so I can avoid 23% VAT here? It would be done to look like some old, worthless hardware.

It's much more powerful than most of other Intel CPU's. AFAIK Intel doesn't make SMT4-capable CPU's.

I'm not interested in POWER in particular, I'd consider it as a platform for desktop use or for my home server just like regular x86, I'd buy it (or not) based on price/performance, power efficiency, features and such just like buying any other computer. POWER doesn't make it special to me as along as it runs all the software I want it to run.

Now if I had any need for some of its special features, like the (currently unique) PCIe 4.0 support I'd be willing to pay more, but as a home user I don't need it for anything and definitely not on a pretty much regular desktop or home server.

2.4k I thought it was way expensive. Good. I'm going to get one in a near future

The talos II is a special interest platform that caters to those that are interested in a fully open source environment with modern hardware.
>performance
Price performance is something I'm waiting on as well.
>not needing pcie 4.0
It being pcie 4.0 is a bonus since the slot will be able to handle current gen, and next gen expansions.

I like it personally, because I find the power architecture instresting. To be honest I'm not a marketer, so I'm not going to tell you why to buy this over product x especially if you are currently happy with your hardware.

I mean, I like it too, but like alone doesn't get me to spend money in the quadruple digits, basically.

GNU/Lincucks*

pleb

the board is pretty expensive on it's own, but the talos + 2 cpus, are cheaper than an intel lga-2011v3 mobo + 2 4 core e5-2647 (cheaaper e5's available, but much lower speed)at least on pcpartpicker. Talos would definately be more attractive if it wsn't $2500+ for mobo, and $310 per cpu. That price for the mobo is a little past autism levels.

Yeah, the mobo is ridiculous.

most software will not compile out of the box on another architecture, it's already problematic to compile some stuff on x86 linux depending on compiler, version of libraries and so on.

most? so is it comparable to modern x86 cpus? not talking about atom or pentiums. i kind of want to buy it honestly. freedom of hardwares always important to me, and is why i have a old cpu still

Well, 28 core Xeons (56 threads) are definitely more powerful than 4 core (16 threads) POWER9.

Still, you can put 2x24 cores (2x96 threads) in Talos.

but how powerful are the individual cores and how mu h latency do they have when multithreading? thats good and all but i wish there was a more consumer version

>Still, you can put 2x24 cores (2x96 threads) in Talos.
Can you? Are all POWER9 chips on the same socket? The site doesn't give any description of what socket they're using, or precisely what CPU is in it for that matter.

Sorry, no public benchmarks for now, but IBM wouldn't release shit.

Yes, all POWER9 are the same socket.

Looks neat, but like all open source hardware its gonna be overpriced as fuck

It's priced similarily to similar-performing x86-based workstations, it's not all too terrible.