How can the people from a country with an extensive historical and cultural background be unable to speak or even...

How can the people from a country with an extensive historical and cultural background be unable to speak or even understand their own language?

Are there other anomalies such as Ireland?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Irish_language
youtube.com/watch?v=P1la2k7gJn4
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictish_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Isle of Man.

India

Virtual every American Indian in existence

Even they have their own language.

At least the Hindus have Sanskrit.

I can speak and understand my own language fine. Fuck off you monkey shouldn't you be mourning the deaths of your fellow brethren in America?

Yeah that's valid for most native folks from the Americas, but I meant nations with a proper history, belonging to a sufficiently advanced civilization. As far as I know, by the time Europeans reached the new world, Indian tribes still hadn't even the notion of what nations, kingdoms or city-states were.

Wew lad
But seriously as a percentage how paddys actually speak mick?

Are you from a Gaeltacht? How well can you speak it?

Not in the same sense as the rest of the world. Each tribe was it's own "nation" with its own land, settlements, culture, history, etc.

Many tribes in the south and southwest had stable settlements with permanent housing, agriculture, livestock, etc. while tribes in New England and the Great Plains were often nomadic hunter/gatherers.

Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran
I guess most people there can't read their ancient scripts.

What's Brazil?

Exactly

Only the ones in the US, Canada, and Brazil were truly savages. The others were kangz and sheeit and had built real civilizations, even if they were primitive by old world standards.

you might be surprised at how many americans can't read the constitution/DoI because it uses long esses

given geographical isolation and skilled leaders they could've developed into a real nation before being annexed, like hawaii

Are you just taking the piss?
It's a bilingual County. Signs, notices, documents, even a TV channel are in Irish.
Go raibh maith agat. Tá fuath an domhain agam nuair a feicim go bhfuil daoine ar an tsuíomh seo ag rá rudaí mar sin.

Quite sad isn't it?

Whoa this user is steamed.

póg mo thóin

Yeah but be aware that you're a minority m8

Think of Paraguay and Bolivia OP. The majority of the population there is mixed of mostly indigenous blood and their main language is Spanish. Same goes for India, except they're pure breed. Not all forms of colonization replace the original population

>with an extensive historical and cultural background
I doubt he included colonies in that category.

>pig my groin

HAHA

Cucked hard by the English

Not even Wales was as cucked as hard as the Irish, they even have more Welsh speakers. Honestly it's just embarassing since Wales is the omega cucks

English is better.

It's not.

Yeah, Ireland got """cucked"""" so hard that it's a constituent country of the UK until this day

English is more straightforward

Mainly because of British occupation. It's also not taught in the best way anymore. I can't think of a teacher who teaches Irish to children who isn't insane.

Read this if you're really so curious: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Irish_language

There are still people that call themselves Assyrians and speak Aramaic

>Go raibh maith agat. Tá fuath an domhain agam nuair a feicim go bhfuil daoine ar an tsuíomh seo ag rá rudaí mar sin.
Man this looks nice and gives me goosebumps

The majority of Irish words are English in origin. Shop = siopai

Féach orm, táim ag labhairt Gaeilge. Ó a Dhia.
Fucking idiots in this country blame teachers and solely teaches. Learn it yourself.
Ní deacair í, i ndáiríre, tá sé níos éasca ná mBéarla i mo thuairim pearsanta. Is féidir libh, tá a fhios agam.

Cheers

This, I guess. Ireland suffered permanent damage from all the rape. I also heard that at least the Welsh fled to somewhere at the south of Argentina to escape the English assimilation.

Siopai is plural. Siopa = shop

Ostfriesland. Frisians (known to Romans and defeated Roman Legions) but lost their spoken language in the 19th century and speak Hochdeutsch now.

That's Yossarian. He's Assyrian.

If I would learn a UK language it'd be Irish and not Welsh.

There's a small colony of Welsh speakers in Argentina, though I don't know if they actually speak it anymore, but interesting history

They never had on language just a shit load of regional languages. Most speak English better than they speak Hindi.

But Frisian still exists in a small part of Dutchland. Though they're probably all bilingual in Dutch too, Frisian is their native language, unlike Irish speakers who have to learn it as a second language.

Why is this still allowed?

Are the northern irish really this cucked?

>Polish is the second most spoken language in Ireland, irish is the third

Kiss my Hole?

Bretons. French pigs oppressed them.

It's not the Northern "Irish" who are getting cucked. It's the rest of Ireland.

How is that surprising?

It's not surprising, but it's still embarrassing.

A lot, this is a unique level of cultural cuck

How?

It does look nice, but the pronunciation is very tricky. And maybe it's just an impression but sometimes it sounds vaguely ching-chong-ish.

youtube.com/watch?v=P1la2k7gJn4

If I have to explain it then you won't understand anyway. If a concept as simple as your language being spoken by the majority of the population in your nation is lost on you then I shan't waste my time replying to you.

Why is every Brazilian I've met here a drug dealer?
That being said, Irish people can speak Irish. There's a difference between not knowing it and choosing not to.

Not to speak it*

They aren't """Northern Irish""". Ask any of them and they will say they are British.

Ehhh I guess. I just know muh heritage had stopped speaking their language even before my first patrilineal ancestor to come to this country was born. Sad since their one of two groups in the oldest written story in Northern Europe.

What is the relation between brazilian drug dealers and the thread? are you idiot?

Ireland is the one being cucked. Northern Irish people are little genetically Irish. Northern Ireland existed from a settlement of native Protestant English and Scottish people who took possession of the that area from the original Catholic inhabitants. That's why this even today most of the NI citizens consider themselves Brits instead of Irish

So what you're saying is... they are cucked

Hmm, i guess you're right in a way.
Ireland is the cucked husband and Northern Ireland can no longer live without british cock.
But in this case even the cucked husband has more pride left.

It might have something to do with your drug addiction

You.

OP hurt his feelings. The Irish of Sup Forums are so easily offended, holy shit.

Of course they consider themselves British, they are in Britain and they have British passports. They are British

it's just a case of larger and more advanced force destroys smaller force. It's happened to many people and cultures in history

Unrelated but does anyone else crack up at the mental image of a Brazilian living in a favela typing shit out in English on his computer to insult Irish people?

The Census found that 82,600 in Ireland speak Irish outside of school (where it is an obligatory subject). The CSO also reported that 119,526 speak Polish at home and 56,430 speak French.

In Gaeltacht areas (Irish speaking areas) 35 percent of people speak Irish on a daily basis.

In comparison to the last Census the number of Irish speakers is up by 7.1 percent with 1.77 million people saying they could speak Irish. This means 41.4 percent can actually speak the language but simply don’t.

So you say Polish is the second most spoken language? So what? Poles here, the older ones, have shite English and rather speak in their native tongue. We have a rather large Polish population, and Irish is not a fantastic tool of communication. Everything mainstream is in English, not irish. And so, the vast majority of us speak English.

However, in my circle of friends I know I can speak Irish with at least 8. None of us attended Gaelscoileanna or Gaeltachtaí, but we leaned from school and carried it on afterwards. I have other friends who can't speak it, and it's rude to speak affront of others in a language they can't understand. Now you do you understand why it's not the second most spoken?

I imagine they are rich Brazilians that are getting hyped to shitpost, once the maid comes with the hot pockets and coke of course.

We share a long history and heritage, Irish as a language still exists but Irish people do speak English a lot.

Nobody in favela can speak english, only some uper class people can, many rich people that i've known can't understand a shit in English

Why would i pay a maid to eat hot
pockets?
shm desu senpai

I do believe the Aztec Empire was quite advanced, just couldn't compete with the western powers due to the lack of plate armor and gunpowder

Everyone in Latin America seems to have a maid.

Is Spanish a more widespread second language in Brazil than English?

No, literally nobody can speak Spanish, English much more widespread, only in my state Spanish is more comom than english

irish is an archaic language and english is ireland's language now as sad as it sounds

and horses. Too bad they didn't have any elephants like Hannibal marching on Rome. That would have really freaked them out.

Yeah but they're ethnically and politically British people in Irish territory. That's why they hold British citizenship, etc. I was explaining the reason for that

Don't you have an TV channel entirely in Irish, a newspaper or something?

Northern Ireland being Irish territory now? When did that happen? First Brexit and now this, god they are having a bad time

Yes, TG4.

Nope. Though surrounded by Spanish speaking countries, we have little contact with them, unless you leave close to the borders (wich is an small fraction of the population). English is the most spoken second language here.

Unless you live in one of those ethnic towns in the south where they speak Italian, or German or Russian or something, but those are also a tiny minority

>an extensive historical and cultural background be unable to speak or even understand their own language?
You just described Manchu

Well before it was settled by the Brits, it was Irish territory, wasn't it?

Can't Portuguese speakers basically understand spoken Spanish anyways?

Yes, can understand, but can't speak spanish

Btw Scotland is incomparably more cucked than Ireland or Wales.
Out of 5 million Scots 57,000 are native speakers of Scottish Gaelic.

I love how Anglos always think all the "relevant" people in any country speak English (and fluent English at that).

>m-muh world language!!!
Nah.

Unlike Ireland, Scottish Gaelic isn't a native language to Scotland, though

Its true native language was wiped out long long ago

Also Scottish Gaelic was never a "native language" to the Scottish lowlands anyways, so the situation is completely different

>Its true native language was wiped out long long ago

You meant this?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictish_language

But in south scotland exist another language, Scots, much more popular than scottish gaelic

ye

>Unlike Ireland, Scottish Gaelic isn't a native language to Scotland, though
What? Where did it come from then? Irish settlers? I thought it was a a dialect of the Gaellic, since they're very similar genetically.

Yes we can, but it's trickier to speak it properly. And it's not like we really need it. If I spoke in Portuguese with a Spanish guy and he spoke just in Spanish we'd still understand each other very well

Settled is the wrong term, There were never any British settlers

>What? Where did it come from then? Irish settlers?

Yes, Irish settlers in the middle ages brought Irish over and it evolved into that language. They mostly settled along the west coast and ... some other places I forget. The east coast was mainly populated by "Middle English" speakers that would develop into what is today called Scots of variations of English it gets complicated and politically awkward. The very northern part of Scotland was populated by Norse descendant languages but those went extinct in the 1800's I think which is a bit sad.

It's not what I've read m8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland

Nah there's Natives that can speak their language but based of which ones.
Inuit its guaranteed others it's like 20%

Iroquois Confederacy