American English

>American English
>Say "Can" when you actually mean "Can't"

I can't take this anymore, why can't Americans say can't properly? This is getting out of control, I really embarrassed myself when I thought a girl said "You can kiss me" but she actually apparently said "You can't kiss me"

Americans get your shit together pls.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0ZF8IqOHtBA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-glottalization
youtube.com/watch?v=Vp7xmbtylqI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

when in doubt use cannot

word "not" matters a lot, so I wonder why they came up with such a bad idea to abbreviate only one syllable for it.

You don't know how to speak English.
In the affirmative, the pronunciation is like KEN. In the negative, the vowel is pronounced differently, like the noun CAN,the food container.
Also, in the affirmative, the verb that follows has stronger intonation but inthe negative, you stress the word CAN'T.

Gonna be honest, I NEVER noticed this before.

No, it isn't.

>could care less
>could care less
>could care less
>could care less

How the fuck are they allowed to get away with this drivel? If there was ever a case for the nuclear holocaust of America this is it

Don't forget the accursed
>would of

It is in American English. The ecception is if it is the last word in the sentence.

Can you go? pronounced KEN
Yes, I can. Pronounced CAN

It is though. Do you pronounce can and can't the exact same except with a t on the end? Not even British accents can be that absurd

Actually nevermind, I misread the post

How embarrassing

Exception
I'm on my mobile.

if you just fucking paid attention it would be fine
we dont complete terminal plosives; for "can't" we say "can" then lift our tongue to start the "t" but dont force it down again. it forms a very specific halting sound which americans can easily recognize

A lot of American dialects drop t's or replace them with the "d" sound. It's the same as how some folks say "inner-net" instead of "in-ter-net".

Depends on the dialect of the speaker. I would pronounce it identically in both examples.

Do you mean woulda? I ain't never heard no one say "would of".

We don't say can when we mean can't we just replace the t sound with a glottal stop.

Holy fuck I never noticed this.

It's charming and it's also our culture which you yuros always falsely accuse us of not having

Each anglo country uses different vowel sounds for different words, aussies vocalise ken to my ear for both those examples. You also pick it up without thinking very easy as its not a new word but a slight change, I went down under for several months and picked up a slight perth accent, i couldnt hear it when speaking but australians would comment on it. it dropped after being in the uk a few days, we imitate to some extent our environment.

>we imitate to some extent our environment

This. I caught myself turning "th" into "t" after staying in Ireland for a while.

Cannot you fucking barbarians.

Can't is not a word.

Vowel sounds are actually one of the most fluid parts of the English language, apparently.

What? We say "can't" and "can" completely differently. Have you been talking to Cajuns, lad?

Depending on the accent:

Can will be pronounced Ken or Kaen, sometimes both depending on the stress.
Can't will be pronounced Kaent, or sometimes Kent depending on the accent, but in both cases the t is practically or actually dropped, leading to them to sound very similar in many accents in America.

It's actually a big problem foreigners have in understanding American English, and sometimes native speakers too. Haven't you ever had someone ask you something like "Did you say you CAN do it or you caeeeen't do it?"

>it's a doggy dog world

Neither is "Cannot", hillbilly

sorry, probably wasn't speaking the language you could understand:
Ayoop, me yob sook - "cannot" ay't e wor, yer fithy yokel

Christ, if only I knew that it will only take one brit-loving not-that-much-of-a-russian to make entire thread feel deeply reserved, I'd keep my pie hole shut.

I'm sorry, Britain - come back!
>EU mode enabled

>in both cases the t is practically or actually dropped, leading to them to sound very similar in many accents in America.
Not true at all, and I've been to at least a third of the US states. The "t" in can't is pretty clearly said.
>It's actually a big problem foreigners have in understanding American English
Maybe because they're not native speakers and have trouble following fast sentences.
>and sometimes native speakers too
Calling bull on this one.
>Haven't you ever had someone ask you something like "Did you say you CAN do it or you caeeeen't do it?"
No, not really. At least I can't think of ever having to ask or answer this question (in the South, New England, New Mexico, the Midwest, New Orleans, or even Canada).

Are you a French expat by any chance?

Correct pronounciation

vocaroo.com/i/s0ZF8IqOHtBA

he said "I cunt", lol

>Not true at all, and I've been to at least a third of the US states. The "t" in can't is pretty clearly said.

No, in most casual speech in General American, the t is glottalized if occurring before another word that begins with a consonant. Of course this all varies heavily from speaker to speaker but the general trend is for this to occur, which effectively means the t is dropped, though the reality is it's replaced by a slight stop that to an English speaker's ear is easy to pick up, but a foreigner will have a lot more trouble picking up.

It's a well known phenomenon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-glottalization

Its not culture, its bunch of ape niggers who don't know how to even speak their native language.

Oh, you mean like "I can't take out the trash." Yeah, if the next word starts with a "t" then the "t" in "can't" is merged, but there's never confusion since you would pronounce it like "I KANt take out the trash," rather than "I KEN take out the trash."
Also, it's not for all words starting with consonants, only words starting with "t". You would pronounce the "t" in "I can't make you a sandwich," very clearly in fact.

I'm doing my part to turn things around. I'm sorry it wasn't soon enough

It's shortened. Originally the phrase also included "but not much". Now the second bit is implicit.

Don't you mean would've?

Spoiling you everyday language with a dialect where one cannot even know which is yes or no isn't culture.
Reminder that it has your set your countryman in trouble.

youtube.com/watch?v=Vp7xmbtylqI

here you go OP now you can never kiss rape a girl again

WTF are you talking about you autistic shit we pronounce the t and some of us as a hard consonant.

I have literally never had an issue telling the difference between can and can't. Maybe you should get your ears checked.