/mkg/ - Premium ABS Edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Previous Clack

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/381019318430
web.archive.org/web/20161020010737/http://www.daskeyboard.com:80/blog/6-reasons-you-shouldnt-buy-into-the-ergonomic-keyboard-hype/
eadc.engr.wisc.edu/Web_Documents/p160.pdf
massdrop.com/buy/galaxy-keycaps-set
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for new build

1800 is the best layout why do other layouts even try

what kit did you buy?

Gonna bolt mod my model M. Before I do it is there are there any good guides on line?

There's no such thing as alt right.

Yeah:
wiki.geekhack DOT org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod

Yes there is. Go onto your keyboard then hold down the alt key and press left and right as many times you want
>inb4 you're a macfag so it doesn't work

I'm curious about Romer-G switches, yet tempted to build my own keyboard. If we ignore switches's non-existent keycaps, is its contacts layout compatible with anything else?

no

If I make my own board and drill holes in it manually, it's certainly going to be the most unique, the most custom keyboard out there. Likely the most entertaining to look at too.

maxkeyboard sells pad printed ABS caps, which isn't something I'd really invest on. caps-unlocked prices are three times as much, but at least they sell dye-sub PBT caps.

Oh..ok
"We do hope to have PBT key caps in the future but no set date yet.
Perhaps 2018..?"
- Matias Help Desk

but it does work on a mac, retard.

They have laser etched PBT tho

Its tons of fun and really easy to do. It is a little time consuming tho

Oh, I just stumbled upon on an article about handwiring. Where does a controller go?

Also, what about holes in a mounting plate? Are MX and Alps/Matias the same size, since some projects are universal? I wonder if Romer-no-caps would fit it too...

Can anyone explain the appeal of the Norbauer case to me? It does seem well-made and nice, but it still looks like a simple metal box to me. Why so expensive and revered?

Furst time I've heard of it. Anodized aluminum is always expensive, but that price is still like 50 bucks too high. Guess he didn't sell enough of them for the price drop.

Goodnight, /mkg/ :3

>$200 for just a case
Fuck that.

anyone own the anne pro? thoughts?

It's very well-liked over at r/mk, and last week or so there was a guy here who lamented that this was his dream case but he was too late for the GB.

Anyone know how to make this keyboard usable on windows? ebay.com/itm/381019318430

It's pretty much a Poker 2 with bluetooth.
My local mech key Facebook group love it to bits, but at least a few times per week someone will make a post asking for help re. some bluetooth connection issue.
Not worth it in my mind. Get a Poker 3 for that sweet alu case, or Poker 2 and then a custom case.

Just get an adapter, or make one yourself

I don't think there is an adapter I googled it and everything says I need a teensy which I have to solder to make it work and that requires linux.

there is one. go read the old thread. its still up

I would have already gotten a poker but price is an issue for me. There's a code for banggood that marks the anne pro down to $67 so I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger. I would be using it mostly wired but the bluetooth is just a bonus for laptop use.

What do you guys think about a Qisan 60% with GATERON Brown Switches? It's $63 on Amazon. Would I be better off just spending $30 more to get a Ducky?

Probably, but Qisan is still good

GMK?

>Can anyone explain the appeal of the Norbauer case to me?
Personally, I think it's beautiful. I love the aesthetics of it and it looks like it will last forever.

>It does seem well-made and nice, but it still looks like a simple metal box to me. Why so expensive and revered?
Just the chunk of aluminum that big costs at least $70+ (I think it's closer to $90). Then you have CNC machining time and the time to clean it, sand it, anodize it... there's at least 4 hrs of work in that thing.

We are spoiled by cheap chink shit because chinks get paid $6 an hour.

When did large, featureless bezels become such a well-liked aesthetic? It's so boring

How good is ortholinear meme?

Well, you can be like the user from yesterday and get something like one of these.
What is your "ideal" bezel?

who else /waiting on their rama m65-a/ here

Bezel is too small. The Exent is a better keyboard.

>RAMA

top I'm fixing the spacebar stabilizer
bottom is a chicony Monterey blue board

pic related

I would say no more than about 10mm of excess material around the top, and preferably some form of visual interest rather than a big blank block like Rama designs and the Norbaeur have. For example, I quite like TX keyboards' usage of cases with the top section that is smaller than the bottom section, creating a step.

You know I thought about getting the Exent, but I decided to stay within a nice moderate budget and got the M65-A and a set of Carbon GMK to go with it.

here's a lewd of the chicony

Those are fair points. I agree with you, some simple lines and reveals thrown in can make a ton of difference.
My biggest complaint about the new compact f77 design is the case is too much of a box.
But, one of my buddies runs a cnc shop so we might make something different for it down the road.

Fuck. They need to get on that.
Hopefully they have some tasteful options and for multiple layouts as well.
Lack of keycaps is one of the biggest things holding matias back.

why do you have so many guns you pussy?

Dude, personal preferences. That's the whole point of it being "personal". Your asking people to adhere to one standard of aesthetic is what seems "boring" to me.
>featureless bezels
LOL
I bet you also think custom keycaps are, what, feature-full?

Which key cap set is the one on the right?

Hey guise im fat and like keyboards and guns. Also im rich unlike you.

>corsair
>those keycaps
shoot yourself, bet you're the type to spend more on guns than you do bullets

Does this have a name?

Its a meme you dip

"Left handed", or "left numpad" is what I've met.

What is a better board, or is the quality about the same?
Ducky One vs WASD or WASD Code

What keyboard is this?

Which would be better for typing: an ergonomic keyboard or a mechanical one?

I'm pretty sure that's a bag

now get lost you fucking normie

Building your own ergonomic mechanical keyboard. There are projects like ergodox or atreus62 around. Probably a meme though.

What are you inventing? A new, your very personal switch?

Unfortunately not, it's just a part for this camera slider that I've been working on since ever. I think I finally found a style of design that I'm content with.

It does accomodate for an mx-style switch though

Ducky One

any specific reasons?

More features and better keycaps. Both keyboards have a steel plate so flexing isn't that big of an issue, but to me the most important part of a keyboard is the keycaps.

yeah i was thinking about getting pbt keycaps from a diff place but that pushes the price upwards of $200 if i go with the wasd. it also has a mac mode which is nice

Ducky works on mac by default and already comes with PBT keycaps at around 100 bucks

What's the best tactile sound-dampened switch for a custom build?
Matias Quiet-Click? Gateron Browns with o-rings?

What are Zealio Purple, customized gaterons?
How bad is Matias keycaps situation? Their websight seems to offer only black/white blank sets for a couple of ortholinear projects and blank/printed full sets.

So I had no idea my year old magicforce 68 actually has one of the heaviest linear switches. Outemu black. I can't suggest these things enough. I also have a board with blues and reds and these are probably the best feeling, definitely way better than reds.
Some times I will switch to my noppoo with blues but I use this more often and the noppoo was $100.
Its such a shame that they seem to have only made one batch of the magicforce. There are several variants available at launch when I bought it that are no longer available. Like I cant find any in black.
If anyone is looking to try a new switch I highly recommend outemu blacks. They're cheap and feel wonderful. I can not wait to buy my first set of o-rings after having mechs for a decade and see how that affects the board. I think heavy switches with a shorter actuation distance will result in a higher WPM.

Yeah ill probably wait until the cherry mx clears are in stock then grab some mac modifier keys to throw on.

I think I'm going to buy this board, the plum nano 75 45g, for $100. Opinions please.

>POM keycaps(fuck ye)
>45g topre clones(cherry compatible stems)
>60%+function row(aka perfect layout)
>standard ansi for keycap replacement
>all black, only branding on spacebar
>removable cable
>black
It looks like my dream keyboard but I'm sure there is some horrible flaw with it or I'll hate the capacitive switches.

Are there any good sources for keyboards in Japan? Everything I've looked at here is massively overpriced.

Also are there any compact keyboards that have function keys? Is there a name for this?

Thanks

>an ergonomic keyboard or a mechanical one?
ergo keyboards are a scam. and that MS Sculpt keyboard is garbage.,

GMK Led-Zep... new group buy starting soon. Yay or nay?

>t. Flipped space bar fag
You wouldn't know anything about ergonomics even after your wrists fell off

are those the same taiho caps being sold on massdrop? Hows the QC on them?

From Logi G810 review: paint came off on some edges
>logi keycaps

>You wouldn't know anything about ergonomics even after your wrists fell off
At least I'm not a motherfucking retard who falls for stupid and expensive scams... like you.

web.archive.org/web/20161020010737/http://www.daskeyboard.com:80/blog/6-reasons-you-shouldnt-buy-into-the-ergonomic-keyboard-hype/

you stick the controller wherever. alps and cherry mx have different hole sizes, but you can overlap them to make a cutout that will fit both

galaxy class

ergonomic is more important, mechanical keyboards are a meme, just another thing for nerds to spend $$$ on. hardly anyone cared about them until 'customization' (buying shit to put on your keyboard) and muh gaming.

matias QC are very quiet and tactile, but if you want to play with keysets, don't use them.

>A shitty blog
Thanks for proving my point that you know nothing about ergonomics. Now don't you have some spacebars that need to be flipped.

>>A shitty blog
dat butthurt
yeah, your arguments are much better, low IQ moron.

You can also consider Outemu purples or Kailh Coppers with o-rings.

anyone use trackballs or other input devices w/ their boards?

You dont seem to get it do you. I don't use blogs or anecdotal proofs. I use facts, but I don't expect a lazy redditor like you to understand. The least you could've done is google keyboard ergonomics and looked at any of the top results
eadc.engr.wisc.edu/Web_Documents/p160.pdf

Yeah, I'm interested in Matias switches, but I'm curious what options do I have aside from w/e they have in their store.
If not customised sets, at least something to pick from in shape and colour. I don't want to fall for "artisan" meme, but I'd still like keycaps that are nice to look and feel.

Matias is coming out with new PBT keycaps next year, an other then custom sets by signature plastics you're limited to tai hao and salvaging keycaps from old dell and apple keyboards

fairly available alps caps options (vary somewhat in bottom row sizes and stabilizer style): granite, tai-hao in several colors, caps from some KBP boards, AEK and AEKII, dell at101, matias, various obscure vintage boards

show me the proof that that MS shitboard actually prevents RSI and other things. go ahead, I'll wait.

Why would I? That microsoft keyboard is a piece of shit. Of course I linked you to a bunch of proof about keyboard ergonomics, yet you didn't seem to read them. Maybe spend less time posting stale memes on reddit and actually read, or just go back to flipping spacebars.

Ergo = scam. no long term study of that shit.
There's really no point in using all these ergo bullshit keyboards.

massdrop.com/buy/galaxy-keycaps-set

>posts paper with links to long term studdies as well as a critical analysis about the effectiveness about those studies because thats what science is all about
>hurp a derp no they don't exist
Good one buddy. The least you could've done is read the sources at the end of the paper, but no that was too much for you. There was even a paper discussing the slope and curvature of keyboards.

You're going to have to spend like $50 on an adapter so it isn't even worth buying,

Print out a staggered keyboard layout and move your fingers around to "type" on it. Now try that but with graph paper to simulate ortholinear and see which one you prefer

What the fuck did you do to that k70

he improved it

Not the guy you are arguing with, but flipped my spacebar in solidarity (oh my god so easy on the thumbs!). Is there any study on existing ergo keyboards? Surely, both typewriter layout and QWERTY are anachronisms and likely the biggest baby duck syndrome in the world - but I haven't seen an "ergo" keyboard with anything but self-claim.

I switched to Dvorak and learned touch typing along with it a few years ago. "Typing faster" is bullshit but it's definitely more comfy to use. The huge downside is compatibility: shortcuts are all over the place (Linux and Mac, IIRC, have "preserve keyboard shortcuts flag" - but I'm a winfag), some games have big issues with it (e.g. Source-based add extra QWERTY layouts) and other systems won't have it (i.e. you have to know QWERTY or embarrass yourself by looking at the keys). All in all, touch typing was the best thing to acquire.

I'm a big fan. Never saw much point to waving my arms all over to use a mouse.

It's funny that they claim that fingers don't move to the side, but I can't imagine comfortable position for my arms that won't require bending wrists unnaturally for fingers to follow ortholinear columns. Standard keyboard feels more natural: I don't bend my wrists when I type.

Is that the one with their RomerG switches? Are those supposed to be any good?

Yes, those switches, I was obsessing with them for a couple of days. It seems like the general consensus of keyboard enthusiasts is "no". Positive reviews are mostly coming from those who either switched from rubber domes or have less than a month experience.