Will six-core i5 make Ryzen 5 irrelevant?

Will six-core i5 make Ryzen 5 irrelevant?

Other urls found in this thread:

ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcee889e8d5e2d2e2d6e2d6f082bf8fa9cca994a482f1ccf4&l=en
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>6 core 6 threads
vs
>6 core 12 threads

Those are all numbers from rumors.

Why even bother? Just get a quad core with SMT for cheaper. I5 is irrelevant thanks to Ryzen.

This, intel pretty much just admitted defeat.

Also most likely that 6 core i5 will be over $300 unless intel again admits defeat and lowers it to $200

Interesting times for all of us regardless.

>95W 105C vs 65W 70C
intel wins

No.
a) Those clocks are a massive regression so you literally will get negative performance in titles you play right now using i5/i7
b) won't matter if it's another rushed pos that can't be cooled down to 60 under load using a good air cooler.

is this on the confirmed slower 10nm?

>yfw intel is adding moar coars

no the 10nm will come later and probably will replace the 6100u and 7100u

It's 14nm++, so basically 14nm.

Higher isn't always better user...

>6 threads
What did Intel mean by this?

>he needs more than 4 threads for video games
Intel is destroying mine currency faggots

>he only plays old games with his top-of-the-line PC

boo hoo it uses more power
>muh electric bill
>muh housefire
get a job and buy a fire extinguisher you stupid nancy boy

Depends entirely on the price. If they keep the same pricing scheme as skylake and kaby as far as i3, i5, and i7 prices it would probably do great even though intel is forcing motherboard changes. If the relative prices increase, e.g. 8350k at 7600k prices, then it'll probably end up losing intel market share.

>What did Intel mean by this?
Thuban stronk.

>most future proof platform on the market vs final revision of a dead socket

Coffee Lake isn't supported on Z270, even though it uses LGA1151

Funny how Intel fags ragged on AMD when Bulldozer used a few more Watts than ivy bridge.

>coffee leek it's not even out
>in less than two years cannon lake comes on yet another platform
It's already dead without it knowing.

Bulldozer at least had good performance/watt for multithreaded integer workloads in comparison to Ivy Bridge. Kaby Lake vs Ryzen is a bit different when Ryzen's perf/watt is so completely dominant over desktop Kaby Lake.

Coffee Lake does look very attractive as a gaming platform. 6 cores at ~4.3GHz with single/dual core boost up to ~4.6 kicks the shit out of Ryzen for high FPS gaming.
That said, it will probably cost a lot more than Ryzen.

But if you go with Ryzen you can upgrade to Zen 3 in 2020 without swapping boards, which will absolutely crush Coffee.

I believe coffee will be good, but Intel can't stay on their 14++++++nm products for too long. In six months a zen1 revision comes, in a year and a half zen is out on 7nm. They have to move to 10nm, and I'll be surprised if they put it on the same platform.

Hold up, you guys told me the 7700k was bad because it only had 8 threads.
Wouldn't a 12 thread 7700k be the solution to the i7 4 core limitations???

>upgrade to Zen 3 in 2020
Most people don't think that way, they will buy a new CPU/Mobo/RAM all at the same time, so they get all of the latest features of a new platform.

I personally upgraded individual components over a number of years going from Phenom II to Bulldozer, doing individual RAM -> CPU -> Mobo upgrades, but not many people do that.

>10nm
Intel's 10nm node is horse goo.
No, really.

Check r5 1600 tests to see that. We know that 16 threads is plenty, maybe 12 is the sweet spot.

>horse goo
>glue
>mcm
Oh you..

Most people forgot drop-in upgrades were a thing in the past.
It's 50% more coarz with 50% more housefire.

Okay, then what? Intel will still rock their 14nm chips while amd floods the market with 12 core 24 thread desktop cpus that use 65w and runs at a stock 5GHz? Goodbye Intel, i guess.

That will take a hell of a long time to happen.
Most of Ryzen's power savings come from their shorter pipeline and InfinityFabric. Reducing process node won't help it that much, other than possibly allowing for higher clocks, or lower consumption at the same clocks.

God knows when 10nm is coming. It's taking them so long that they replaced tick-tock with process-architecture-optimization, and then broke that model on the first fucking time through with two optimizations. Supposedly it's going to hit laptops long before desktops, and performance is going to be worse than 14nm+++++++++.

Only in CSGO

Zen is 19 stages. That's not short at all.
And yes, SenseMI is absolutely awesome when it comes to power regulation.

Intel will adopt 10+ for desktop eventually (probably Icelake).
The bad part is that Core is old and rusty.
It can't even hope to compete against refined Zen uarch-wise.

>6c6t vs 6c12t
Coffee Lake? More like Coffin Lake lmao.

Don't forget that it means biggur dies thus lower margins.
It's soooooooooooooooooooo bad for Intel.

At least consumer Vega is shit so jacketman is not eating his leather jackets.
Poor Quadro tho.

> biggur dies thus lower margins
That depends on the 14nm++ fab process. Nearly all Kaby Lake i5's are perfectly fine i7's, and are just artificially cut down.

better save that $0.001 on the thermal paste.

Why does AMD keep making new architectures from the ground up while Intel just iterates? You can trace Kaby Lake back to what, P6? I feel like doing it AMD's way is a bit of a gamble, risking the result being either awesome or terrible. A whole new arch is definitely a good thing for Zen, but AMD probably would have been better off refining K10 rather than making Bulldozer.

i5 needs to be less expensive than Ryzen 5, but (((they))) want more shekels anyways.

It's still native hexacore dies.
These are bigger.
AMD can allow themselves to sell Zeppelin this cheap because they bin through tons of silicon. Zeppelin feeds everything but APUs.

>another rushed garbage fire
>still having 'K' series unlocked CPUs (meaning still having locked CPUs)
>those low clocks
>just moving up 2 cores instead of four, leaving Ryzen 7 to own the entire high end bu themselves
>these will probably be more expensive too
this is ridiculous

K10 with faster cachez would ve okay, but merely okay. Sometimes you have to gamble on new design. Bulldozer was a failure because it was design focused on pure int throughtput per mm^2 of silicon. Zen is more balanced design. It's still focused on methodologically murdering Intel and gestating ARM in datacenter.

Also the next AMD design will totally be chiplet and HSA focused.

>shorter pipeline
Agner's mispredict penalties are 18 cycles for Zen vs. 15-20 cycles for Skylake.

wtf are you smoking?
shitdozer was rehashed for 5 years.

It was iterated on, and decently so. Having several design teams working at once is a blessing you know.

Bulldozer was all new. When's the last time Intel made a completely new architecture?

why are they doing no 4c 4t dies and just using the fucked up ones for i3s. something seems off

>When's the last time Intel made a completely new architecture?
Larrabee.
Ehh.
That was bad.
REALLY bad.

ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcee889e8d5e2d2e2d6e2d6f082bf8fa9cca994a482f1ccf4&l=en

They are not rumors, the leaked specs were pretty much spot on accurate

Hey at least Vega is bad.

I will wait for the actual benchmarks before judging that one.

It's DOA.
They failed to fix BW bottlenecks.
The uarch is as good as dead in consumer space.

Forgot about that
>Larrabee's x86 cores were based on the much simpler P54C Pentium design which is still being maintained for use in embedded applications.[12]
Guess not.

Atoms (Silvermont and onwards) are no longer P54C-based. They have limited OoOE now.

8700K here I come

Wrong, since Goldmont it's fully OoOE

>Fully out-of-order memory execution and disambiguation. The Goldmont microarchitecture can execute one load and one store per cycle (compared to one load or one store per cycle in the Silvermont microarchitecture). The memory execution pipeline also includes a second level TLB enhancement with 512 entries for 4KB pages.

all depends on the cache levels, if they are the same as 78xx series, then it's going to suck ass

Oh, NICE.
Shame that Intel has no validation so ded atoms.

oy

It's SKL-S with moar coarz.
No cache changes, still 256KB L2@core and 2MB L3@slice.

because 4c 8t i3 will kill 6c 6t i5

>same old 14nm
>6 cores
>95 watts
some one is lying out their ass

/thread

>not playing doom2 with 2000+ fps

Don't forget to delid and buy a fire extinguisher

Depends on the price. I mean AMD stayed around even when all they had where fx cpus, because intel is really fucked up with how they price all that melted dirt.

8700K looks apealling if it'll have the same IPC as babylake

>announcing sage
back to plebbit with you amdrone

>bulldozer was good.
Let that piece of shit die with the shame that it deserves, and let's all be glad that amd has ryzen now.

Same socket, same waterblock

>Will six-core i5 make Ryzen 5 irrelevant

No, because the 1600 / 1600x are 6C/12T, and that i5 is 6C/6T.

>Power 511.8W

>TWO
>POINT
>EIGHT
>GIGAHERTZ

I never said it was good.
I said it's iterations were decent.

What, how?

not with those clocks, it's probably even throttles

Who cares about base clock? Even the locked i5 has a 3.8GHz all core boost clock, and most boards will be able to lock them to the single core boost on all cores ("Enhanced Turbo"), so 4GHz on all cores for a cheap, locked part.

kaby needs to be 4.5-5Ghz to lead 7% on ryzen at 3.9
it's like you missed all the benchmarks

>m-m-m-muh gigahurtz!

this thing i'm not sure about
i3 with 4/8 kind of murders whole intel line up
i5/i7 won't sell at all, but knowing intel segmentation practices they might lower clocks to oblivion and then nothing will sell haha

AMD beat intel, so they are competing with the ARM market

do you think it's going to be paper launch on 21st?
they announced the thing too early

Benchmarks of what? Muh video gaymes? A 7700K at 5GHz has close to a 50% lead in single core performance in Cinebench compared to a 4GHz Ryzen chip. As always, it entirely depends on what workload you throw at it.

It needs to be a hard launch.
FFS Ryzen sells like fucking hotcakes.
And AMD is yet to launch fucking Raven Ridge.

yup, i'm glad intel is bringing this, already preordered 2 of those babies

amd just delivers fails, almost bought a ryzen

FFS, where are the 10GHz chips you promised me, Intel!

U M A D E L I C I A

>muh singlecore
when will you understand that it's not 2005 anymore?
intel scales like shit with more cores, ryzen got 95%+ scaling
all intel has is clocks, they lose this advantage going more cores

This plus workloads like emulation where IPC is most important. Even rpcs3 which is the most MT emulator and uses a tread for each of the 7 SPEs never needs more than 4-5 threads because almost no games utilize more than 1-2 SPEs.

at least it's true that we can compress/decompress video/sound on the fly now
in 2000 it seemed far off

Please go back to Sup Forums you tech-illiterate piece of filth.

when even a bulldozer can run emulators perfectly fine point is mute

You missed the footnotes about needing quadruple phase change cooling and a small diesel power generator.
Thanks Intel.

>when even a bulldozer can run emulators perfectly fine
at 10fps sure

Not CEMU and that new PS3 one though. The differences are pretty ridiculous in favor of jewtel too - even at similar clocks for some reason. It was pretty much the only thing that made me consider not getting Ryzen next week but I thought about it a bit and realized it's not really worth getting intel just for P5 and by the time it's properly playable Ryzen 2 may roll around anyway. I'm not in a hurry