Devastating test results for Intels new Core-X pro desktop platform

Leading German tech news c’t/heise tested Intels new platform and it is a complete fuckup:
>Core-X series also has 4 core cpus in the range with intentional limited lanes. All mainboards for the Core-X platform support the 4 cores. This leads to bottlenecking because the lane distribution for the pci-e slots and M2 slots. If you use a 4c Core-X cpu you can only use the pci-e with 8x lane connection. Same goes for the M2 slots: because of the low lane count of 4c Core-X cpus the M2 is connected to the chipset and not directly to the cpu resulting in more bottlenecking. Only 300$+ mainboards did not have this issue and connected the M2 directly.

>Mainboards run the cpus completely out of their thermal spec when in boost mode. They measured a 140W tdp cpu running at 290(!)W. This leads to hard to spot losses in performance because of overheat clock skipping although the taskmanager would show high clocks/utilization. This issue is suspected because of the two-month early launch and therefor unfinished firmware development. Their test PSU failed because of this although it should have been well in spec.

Source:
heise.de/ct/artikel/c-t-uplink-18-3-Google-Home-Core-X-Boards-Retro-Pi-Spielekonsole-3798165.html
starting at 23:30

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/amd-threadripper-review-1950x-1920x/
tomshardware.com/reviews/-intel-skylake-x-overclocking-thermal-issues,5117.html
tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html
legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008
techreport.com/news/26911/errata-prompts-intel-to-disable-tsx-in-haswell-early-broadwell-cpus
extremetech.com/computing/244074-intel-atom-c2000-bug-killing-products-multiple-manufacturers
hothardware.com/news/critical-flaw-in-intel-skylake-and-kaby-lake-hyperthreading-discovered-requiring-bios-microcode-fix
youtube.com/watch?v=ytT9p5SngCI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

link a fucking english post, most of us don't speak nazi

I'm sorry they only have the german podcast yet. This story will be featured in the next c't print magazine 17/2017.

PLEASE NO

>290W
How much over spec did the RX480 go initially?

God please, AMD just spin out and kill RTG already, let Fucktel buy them and merge with nVidia like you fucking supposed to.

Intel + RTG, I hope you have a fucking nuclear reactor handy.

Stopped reading there. Core-X is DOA. Intel is eternally BTFO. Why would anyone buy a 4 core cpu ever again?

about 5-12w over spec on the pcie slot. Absolutely devastating for the 6million motherboards it killed.

got up to 95w is some cases, that's 20w over spec.

Not that it really matters as it's been fixed now, and I doubt it actually done any damage for the short time it was available.

remember the 6 million

Is this about the 12+ cores? If not, this is old news.

It affects any cpu of the platform because all MoBos have to support the 4c cpus and have therfor messed up lane arrangements like running the M2 over the chipset to the cpu.
If you want to use a top range Core-X cpu without bottlenecks you have to buy an absolute top range mainboard.

I think a grand total of 4 boards world wide shit themselves from it.

Chances are all of them were sub 50$ boards, probably Biostar too.

WTF would anyone buy a new 4 core processor? Unless the new shit is using 1/2 the wattage as the shit circa 2014, wtf is the point? I have a 4core/8thread Intel proc sitting right next to me that I built 3-4 years ago. They're actually selling this shit to people in 2017 as new? da fuq.
> If you use a 4c Core-X cpu you can only use the pci-e with 8x lane connection
> M2 is connected to the chipset

LMFAO !!!!
> mfw my 2014 4/8 intel CPU likely has better performance

Pretty much every review of X299 and X399 points this out, though.

>With Threadripper, you can run two graphics cards at X16 PCIe speeds, two at X8, and still have enough lanes left over for three X4 NVMe SSDs connected directly to the CPU. Intel's i9-series offers a mere 44 PCIe lanes on the CPU by comparison, but does make up the difference with a further 24 lanes on the motherboard (they do, however, share a single X4 PCIe link to the CPU).

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/08/amd-threadripper-review-1950x-1920x/

its fucked on all CPUs but only with the 10 core did the PSU shut down

Yeah, and the 12+ cores aren't even out yet. Literal housefire when?

Actual source? I don't buy that a company worth 60$$$ billion $$$$ would let a product like this exist. I can imagine this from AMD/ARM/VIA etc, but Intel is above this. Fake until proven otherwise.

So what. It will not show in 95% of reviews, because everyone always uses top parts, other than the one that is being benchmarked(which is the only variance). And if it's not in reviews and memed everywhere it may as well be unknown to the vast majority of buyers.

I've always wondered why almost nobody benchmarks with midrange components - especially motherboards unless it's the motherboard that is benchmarked but nobody cares about MB reviews apart from low percentile of enthusiasts.

>hmm, how do i jew people into buying new, expensive mobos?

tomshardware.com/reviews/-intel-skylake-x-overclocking-thermal-issues,5117.html
tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-7900x-skylake-x,5092-11.html

This was all covered back when 7900X was launched.

>I can imagine this from AMD
What a fanboy. X299 was a rushed mess, and it's not like Intel doesn't have other recent fuck-ups.

legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008

techreport.com/news/26911/errata-prompts-intel-to-disable-tsx-in-haswell-early-broadwell-cpus

extremetech.com/computing/244074-intel-atom-c2000-bug-killing-products-multiple-manufacturers

hothardware.com/news/critical-flaw-in-intel-skylake-and-kaby-lake-hyperthreading-discovered-requiring-bios-microcode-fix

>intel is above this

Holy shit grow up

>8x pcielane
>2017

You're now remembered rx480 killing pcie and kill itself.

Retard.

Learn English before you start shilling, you've made it too obvious you're a broke 3rd world shitter getting paid 0.1 shekels per shitpost.

Step up your English, Joao.

SOPA

Kek.

Intel will launch 3 fucking platforms this year. All of them have issues some way or another.

Intel is desperate.

Oh lol. Intels worst year so far.

They have nothing to compete with amd except for gta5 performance.

>gta5 performance
but why does it run so good on intel

It's a shoddy 2015 port of a last gen console game from 2013.

MOAR COARS
MOAR PLATFORMS

PLS BUY INTEL

>AMD adds more cores
>BASED AMD, INTEL BTFO
>Intel adds more cores
>HAHAHA HOLY SHIT INTEL IS FUCKING PATHETIC HAHAHAHA

What did he mean by this?

SOPA DE MACACO
UMA DELICIA

GTA 5 was actually a fairly solid port as far as ports go. Infinitely better than the shitheap that was GTA 4 at least.

What's the matter user? I thought moar coars was just a meme.

GTA 5 is one of the best games in terms of optimization in recent years.

I think you were trying to write Battlefield 1.

That's not how you spell Doom.

that's why I said "one of the best games", not "the best game". The best would probably be running on Vulkan

The Witcher 3 is also decent considering the graphics

Only up to a point. Once you start turning the advanced settings and shadows on, it becomes a real hog. It's also poorly-threaded and relies on high single core performance.

Holy shit, how can Intel ever recover?

>tfw you realize that apple literally has the cash to buy 100%of intel common stock outright.

Doom is by far the best graphics engine I can remember. In Vulkan, I can run that shit at 4k/50fps ultra on a fucking 290x.

youtube.com/watch?v=ytT9p5SngCI

WATCH THIS
INTEL IS FINISHED

Same on my RX 480. And the graphics is great too. We need more games like that.

Is he comparing the Skylake-X CPUs to upcoming Coffee Lake? If so, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense seeing as Coffee Lake won't have the mesh or cache changes that hobble Skylake-X's gaming performance.

>What's the matter user? I thought moar coars was just a meme.
It was, until Ryzen. Moar cores done right.

what the fuck, intel?
doing something wrong once is sad but kinds understandable, but twice is just dumb.
i thought jews were supposed to be good with money

>They measured a 140W tdp cpu running at 290(!)W.

The
Fuck