Core2 Duo @ 1.8GHz
2 GB RAM

software:
Debian 7 Wheezy (no GUI installed)
nfs
mdadm
ssh

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/HP-Server-ProLiant-DL380-G7-16-Bay-2x-2-66GHz-HexCore-64GB-RAM-no-hard-drives-/222488259474?hash=item33cd556b92:g:uw4AAOSwjDZYdBNv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What type of raspberry pi do I need for a budget NAS?

Do you absolutely need a Raspberry Pi, or will any ARM board do?

If you must have a rPi, I believe the model 3 has ethernet on a separate bus than the USB, so thats the one you will want

If youre open to other ARM boards theres quite a few options out there. Try to get something with either SATA or USB-3, as these will have the fastest disk transfer speeds

Looks nice OP. What are you hosting with it?

Its really just a file server. the 2TB RAID-1 array is almost full, which is why I got the USB 3 card and connected spare 250GB drives I had. Planning on RAID-10, though I might go with RAID-5 or RAID-6, and the less critical stuff will be on those laptop drives.

Little server that sits in basement along with all networking gear:
OS - Windows Home Server 2011 (based on 2008R2)
CPU - AMD FX 8300 3.30ghz
RAM - 8GB
HDD - 1tb (OS & Client backups), 9TB (3tb x 4 Raid 5;Data). All seagate.
Server is on a UPS and is backed up to a 8TB NAS and 3TB External drive (both of which are powered off when not used). Been running smooth for a long time now, I check event logs least once a week for anything amiss and so far not a peep.

Convince me to build a home server please.
I wanna get one but I don't really have any use for it

PLEX
remote download server (for instance you're at work or school and you want something downloading stuff for you while you're away)
Run IRC/discord bots

>convince me to spend money i dont need to spend for something i have no use for

E8500
2GB RAM
4x 1TB drives in software raid 10
Openmediavault

>Propietary bullshit

Being able to restore a dead client pc to the last day it functioned perfectly without installing any software,drivers.etc is a damn good reason for a server. Will save you loads of time/hassle/data. I sleep better knowing that if worse case happens the data is protected.

9x WD Red 3TB in RAID6
1x SD card + USB card reader for OS
i5 4570S
12GB leftover RAM
Dell PERC H310 flashed to HBA

Software:
Debian 9
mdadm
Samba
OpenVPN
Emby
Subsonic
TS3
rTorrent
ruTorrent (on nginx)
sshd (use it as a proxy quite often, not just management)
>software for the server itself
apcupsd
smartd

1 - less internal clutter in your main desktop (2 less drives at least)
2 - you can access your files from all your devices
3 - you can upgrade, modify, or replace your main desktop more often, while all your data sits safely on your server

He's asking us to be Jewish.

>4x 1TB drives in software raid 10
>Openmediavault

using mdadm and ext4?

I was thinking of moving onto freenas or nas4free in order to setup a ZFS based server.

Excuse the noob question, but why would you use sshd as a proxy? I thought all the client data was unencrypted when it reaches the host. Tgerefore wouldnt you end up just sending unencrypted data through/to your router anyway?

presumably he's referring to connecting to his home server away from home, as a proxy

I use it when browsing from a connection I don't trust, when I'm not at home, such as from some hotel or other public network.

This thing. Torrents, VPN server, file server and backups.

Can anyone tell me between NAS4Free and FreeNAS which they prefer?

I want to setup a new server, and I like the error correcting capabilities of ZFS. Its my understanding that ZFS isnt native for Linux, and I really hate having to deal with using kernel modules, so I guess Im looking for a BSD based solution.

>using mdadm and ext4
Yep, I thought about using freeNAS too but I don't know much about ZFS so I decided to use openmediavault. I might switch to ZFS when I switch to an actual server with ECC but that won't happen in the near future. Btw does anyone know if it's easy to add disks to an existing vdev?

last i checked you can't change the number of disks in a vdev

>Btw does anyone know if it's easy to add disks to an existing vdev?
I don't think you can add more disks at all in the way you can with mdadm, like you can't add another disk in a RAIDZ2 like you can in a mdadm RAID6 for instance.

Synology uses Atom cpus. That entire box will be bricked randomly after some time..

You need a rack user

Not all of them do, that being said if you have an old one with the c2000 in it you should be RMA'ing it

Why not just use https? Or do you think that alone does not do good enough to prevent sniffers and MITM?

HTTPS is fine, but everything has to use HTTPS and you have to make sure it's actually being used, not to mention that sites can be browsed over HTTPS and yet still pull content from other places over HTTP, then there's DNS too. Going through an encrypted SSH tunnel makes it certain that no matter what site I'm browsing nothing will be visible in the untrustworthy network, it's just a very, very simple way to hide my shit in one go without having to worry about specifics for every site.

Well that sounds bad. So your only choice when you run out of space is creating another pool with new drives?

I don't use ZFS so don't just take my word around, but generally yeah, that's the way it goes as far as I understand. That was one of the main reasons I went with mdadm, because I was planning to expand in the future and wanted to do so in a cost-effective manner and without wasting to many HDD bays in my case.

I believe you can have multiple RAID vdevs in the same pool or something and use them together at the logical level (one big drive), but you'll basically have to use more drives as redundancy since each vdev has to be fault-tolerant in and of itself in order for the entire pool to be.

The big upside of this is that ZFS also guards against bit rot, which mdadm DOES NOT.

The small external is a dual 2.5" enclosure. I have 2x500GB drives in there as a dedicated offline backup.

The large external is my buddy's 4TB. We always split the cost of buying Blu-ray movies and TV collections. He gave me the Blu-ray rips of the entire Dexter collection. (980GB!) And in return I'll be giving him Hannibal and Breaking Bad. My main PC will be busy for the next few weeks encoding. Anyway

Server is
>Intel Pentium G3460 dual core
>ASRock H97 mitx-AC
>2x2GB ddr3-1600mhz
>Samsung 250GB 850 Evo as boot
>2x4TB Toshiba X300's for movies. 2x2TB HGST and Seagate barracuda for anime/TV series. 2x1TB WD Blue for music and pictures
>windows 7 pro 64 bit with backup utility set for auto backup every 2 days
>EVGA 500w

The big restrictions are that you can't remove vdevs from a pool, and you can't change the type of a vdev. By which i mean, if you have a RAIDZ1 vdev, you can't add a disk and make it a RAIDZ2 vdev. It will always be a RAIDZ1 vdev with however many disks it was created with. The limited exception is with mirrors. If you have a mirror vdev, you can add a disk and make a three-way mirror. You can also remove a disk to make a three-way mirror a two-way mirror. Or to make a two-way mirror into a non-redundant single disk (don't do that)

If you want to expand a pool, you can either add a new vdev to it (which you will be unable to remove once its added) or you can replace disks in an existing vdev with larger ones. This leads to the biggest dilemma for the home ZFS user - the easiest way to make your pool expandable is to use mirrors so you can add or replace disks two at a time, but that sticks you with 50% space efficiency. Parity RAID has better space efficiency but you'll need to add or replace more disks at once to expand.

Yes, each vdev has to bring its own redundancy. The pool as a whole is basically a RAID 0 stripe over all the vdevs in the pool. If you lose one vdev, you lose the whole pool.

Some more stuff I recently got for the server. I'm actually ripping it all now. $50 for the pair.

Yeah, I think those are some pretty big disadvantages to home-use ZFS. I think switching over to ZFS from mdadm once you have a complete/full set of drives might be an idea worth pursuing, though to do that you need some other place as big as the array to store shit to while you tear down mdadm and replace it with ZFS. Should be entirely doable if you have backups though, I'm considering doing it myself but nuking my 10TB worth of shit somehow feels unsafe despite having complete backups.

>Parity RAID has better space efficiency but you'll need to add or replace more disks at once to expand.
And you'll still have worse space efficiency than parity RAID solutions which can expand an existing array.

not who youre talking to but non-parity RAID has plenty of advantages over parity RAID.

just sayin

I don't think you understand what I'm saying, I said that ZFS parity still has worse efficiency than non-ZFS parity which can expand the same array. With ZFS you always need to make an entirely new array and have to obviously add more drives for parity in the new array. It's not about parity vs. non-parity.

Thanks for the detailed responses. If you can only add disks to mirrors then I think I'll continue using mdadm for a while. My plan was to create a raid 10 pool but seems like expanding that isn't possible.

How's that palo alto firewall serving you?

I have acquired a Dell Wyse R90L can is use it to be a torrent machine while i'm at college? I have external hard drives i can use.

Is that all of Nichijou?

Yup. The entire series and extras. OVA's etc. Was $20 on Amazon.

Running FreeNAS on this system. Right now running 6x 6tb drives. I know my hardware is to week to really do anything besides just handling files but I was thinking of upgrading and running VMs to use the box as a torrent box/mega download machine. Yes I know I can get Transmission up and and running with FreeNAS but megalinks and what not? I don't think a plug in is out that can deal with that.

How do VMs even work? Should I stick with FreeNAS? I like the benefits of the ZFS file system

>raid 1
why waste the time?

im curious what the hell you guys use these servers for?

Got damn. 6 years ago when it came out I think it cost the equivalent of around 600 dollars to buy all 12 or 13 volumes volumes.

Please don't tell me it fits all on one disc.

Lenovo x220

Software
> OpenBSD
> httpd
> OpenSMTPD
> Syncthing

4 regular DVDs or 3 Blu-ray discs. About 4.6GB per Blu-ray episode. I'll be encoding them of course. Usually about 1.5GB after encoding with super HQ present.

i wonder how you are actually benefiting from ZFS while not having sufficient memory for the amount of disk space you have. general rule of thumb for ZFS storage is 1.5 x hdd space.

jails are not vms, bhyve is garbage, run an esxi on your system with the OS being on a partition of a usb stick, then install a freenas instance on it, create your storage pools and install your vms where your vmdks are located on the freenas.

then again you'd need decent hardware and not a pentium and just 8gb ram

>actually benefiting from ZFS

Under the impression ZFS protects against bit rot, that would be mostly unrelated to my amount of ram

> general rule of thumb for ZFS storage is 1.5 x hdd space

Yes but for using it as a file sever like I do now I have no speed issues at all and my network is the limiting factor.

> bhyve is garbage, run an esxi on your system with the OS being on a partition of a usb stick

None of this means anything to me besides running an OS off a USB stick which I already do for FreeNAS. I know Jails are not VMs I was just saying you can get some of the functionality I want from jails. I also see FreeNAS has a VM tab but I haven't messed with it at all.

I'm assuming i'd have some sort of client to install on my desktop that I'd open to get to the VM installed on my FreeNAS box? If this works the way I think it does i'll upgrade to a SM board and some sort of used Xeon off fleabay. Would like to step up to ECC ram anyways

MacBook Pro 2016 Non Touch Bar

Desktop:
Gtx 970
i5- 6400
16gb RAM
Samsung 23' 1080P Monitor

optiplex 760 SFF (i5 2500, 6gb ram)
1 wd live 2tb nas
1 wd mycloud 4tb nas
dedicated plex machine and fileserver
(serves a PS4, roku 3, and roku stick running plex client)

picked up the computer super cheap off government clearance $50
and the wd nas were picked up second hand as well ($50 and $90 respectively)
the wd nas also serve as time machine backup drives for the macbook and mac mini on my network.

you should know what the technology behind does in order to decide whether the functionality provided is sufficient to your needs or not. and no you don't need a client.

ecc is debatable, xeon as well, depends on your use cases, for private purpose probably not. if you go for xeon i'd recommend the low voltage like E3-1220LV3 if you don't intend to run multiple heavy service. if you don't really care, go straight up for ryzen, it's cheap and efficient as fuck.

I have a Pentium G3450 in my server, and I think it is a pretty capable CPU. I've been hosting game servers with it once in a while, and It never did worse than my own desktop did with its i5 4690. Depends on what you want to do with it, but it can do a lot more than just serving files.

I also use mine with distcc to give my laptop a (massive) boost when compiling larger packages.

>1220LV3
Just got one of those for about 40 dollars. No idea if it works, but if it does, I'll have a sweet 14W chip for my server.

don't. stretch that budget and get an atom instead.

>We always split the cost of buying Blu-ray movies and TV collections. He gave me the Blu-ray rips of the entire Dexter collection. (980GB!) And in return I'll be giving him Hannibal and Breaking Bad.

You know you can just fucking pirate them right?

You aren't on any better legal standing by doing what you're doing, so to me you're just wasting money buying blu-rays.

A discounted Gen8 Microserver. I expect them to get even cheaper now that the Gen10 is out.

Do old atoms have a planned death thing or something?

What filesystem are you anons using?
And why?

That's not true, ethernet and USB still share a bus on the 3. Wifi/Bluetooth, however, has its own bus.

What are the enclosures?

Why can't we just run all of RAM as a ZFS partition so we don't need ECC to stop bitrotting of the RAM?

Btrfs, because I couldn't be bothered with ZFS for Linux. I'll get another server eventually for backups eventually. I plan on installing omnios or openindiana (for ZFS) to make myself familiar with those before I start using them on my primary server.

I'm thinking about picking one of these up:

ebay.com/itm/HP-Server-ProLiant-DL380-G7-16-Bay-2x-2-66GHz-HexCore-64GB-RAM-no-hard-drives-/222488259474?hash=item33cd556b92:g:uw4AAOSwjDZYdBNv

I'd be running ESXi with several VMs, so the cores+RAM are great.
The only downside is the storage. Does anyone know if there's a way to feed 3.5" HDDs to this machine, or can it only be used with 2.5" SFF drives?

Aren't you the retard who spent like 400 bucks on these piece of shit G6s when he could have gotten a G7 with that?

Find one fully populated with drive caddies. 16 drive caddies at 10 bucks each adds up and you don't really need 5650s for what you're doing.

Is that a paperwhite? Comfy eReader.

ZFS mitigates this issue by allowing you to make atomic snapshots of the filesystem and push them to another filesystem and back again.
But yes, you need to think carefully about your topology before zpool create

IMHO it's a necessary sacrifice to make for all the shit that comes with.

My home server:

CPU: Intel i7-5700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
HDD: 2x 3TB WD Red, in btrfs raid 0

My work was throwing out some old equipment, and I managed to snag some 256GB OCZ SSDs from 2012, so I'm going to use them to fill the 3 2.5" bays my case has.

Biggest regret of this build is not getting more 3.5" bays in the case, or more SATA ports on the mobo. Though I have like 8 sata ports, which is already > my 3 3.5" and 3 2.5" case bays could populate.

Considering a Ryzen 3 build that will be able to hold > 10 3.5" drives, but right now I'm actually doing fine with the 3TB usable space, and my next upgrade will probably be grabbing a 6TB WD Red to stick in my last 3.5" bay. And because of how btrfs does mirroring, it'll effectively double my usable space to 6TB which should keep me good for a while.

Rule of thumb: whatever raid you choose to employ get least double the usable capacity of what you use now. (ex: 4TB of current data = 8TB capacity of new Raid volume). This way baring any unexpected drive/server failures by the time you hit the new volume limit the drives will be at there eol and will need to be replaced anyway.

I'm waiting on two Red 3TB drives to come in for my Q6600 system, I suppose if I tap out the compute capacity on that system I could just use it as a pleb-tier SAN and grab one of the systems I posted.

I know I don't need that much power, but my electricity is included in my rent and it's so damn cheap.

Meh, legality wise, this is no different than letting my buddy borrow the movie to play at his house rather than my own. From an actual legal standpoint, a consumer is allowed to make digital backups of optical media anyway. Honestly though it's more about not getting bitched at by my ISP, and I get to determine the quality of the video/audio/compression rate rather than hoping the pirated stuff I find is passable. Lastly, I enjoy ripping and encoding my collection. Money really isn't an issue, so I don't see a reason to not purchase DVD's and blurays
yup. My paperwhite. Got it on sale for $70 new from Amazon. It's battery life is nuts. Been reading the old Wheel of Time Series.

You need to know how to program to run a server or just be a command line guru? Been using Linux for a week but I'm a turn of the century kid so I hope it's not too late for me to do stuff like host my own mail server with more experience.

Honestly you don't have to be no. Linux is capable of sharing a drive/folder over the network just as easily as windows if you want although no one recommends that.

Just stick with Windows for easy sharing. My Linux based server needed to be restarted once a week because it would always become unresponsive and no longer able to be discovered on the network.

Meanwhile my windows 7 based server has been up for almost 6 months straight. I'll be crucified for saying this of course, but there it is.

Your ISP complains about VPNs or you don't want to shill out/trust third parties?

>a consumer is allowed to make digital backups of optical media anyway
Of optical media you own. Not your buddy's and your buddy isn't allowed to give you his backup either, I'm pretty sure.

I mean, if your buddy can give you his backup, how the fuck is that any different from downloading some other dude's backup from a torrent? Is it legal to torrent if the uploader is a real good friend?

Verizon has sent me a cease and desist letter over downloading music for free. From bandcamp, from a band that had their music up for free. Last time I tried a VPN, my connection speed was drastically reduced. I have a 100/100 connection. I was lucky to see 0.5 down.
I know what you're saying and to some, buying the stuff may seem stupid, but I enjoy having a physical copy of 99% of my stuff.

Having physical copies is fine and all, just don't be under the impression that trading them with your friend is any less illegal than downloading them online.

Oh alright. Are windows servers packed with stuff trying to make Microsoft money now or are they just command terminals?

I'm sweating just thinking of the heat that puts out, and my ears are ringing from the fans. Get yourself a noise dampening rack or at least stick that shit in ventilated closet.

You should be somewhat comfortable with the command line when you want to run a server. But if all you want is a file server, there are several options like FreeNAS that is mostly configured through a web interface.

Running a mail server is probably not something you should think about doing yet. Securing and maintaining something like that requires some effort. Doing stuff like running a minecraft server and sharing some stuff with samba is easy. Even a basic web server is easy enough.

oh I was never bragging about legal standpoint. Again, it's all about being able use the remux and encode it how I see fit. Regardless, the 2 of us have copies of a lot of the same movies. We both own Jon Wick 1/2 for instance because we both like to support game devs/movie producers/book authors. The only things we share are the stupidly priced TV series. I.e. Breaking Bad was $100.
Have you used windows before? Like any version? Even plain jane windows 7 can be used as a "server" and is still the recommended option even if you're looking to share files and a printer for a place of employment with 15+ people.

As for "stuff trying to make MS money" I have no idea what you're talking about. Nor about the terminals. A server can be as easy and hard as you make it. My Windows 7 based server was fire and forget. Setup the share, properly implement permissions per user, setup automated incremental backup, and don't look back

Not that guy but Linux has ZFS or btrfs, both of which have features that NTFS don't such as data scrubbing. Learning all that is going to be a pain for a Windows pleb like me though.

I thought server versions of Windows would be recommended in order to keep bloat down or something. I've used Windows just not server editions and I thought that would just be all command line for a server edition. I guess this is the wrong place for this but I get paranoid from all the stuff being talked about Windows in the last few years. I know Microsoft is not the only company to sell your data but still. Not like I am hosting porn or anything anyway.

>Linux Mint became unresponsive
You should probably update. A surprising amount of people switch from win to lin and don't realize that updates are actually nectar of the gods and not hot garbage.

You get free features and bug fixes.
>Hey dude, my Mint laptop is slowing down graphically after weeks of suspending and waking up
>apt-get update
>apt-get full-upgrade

>I can't use bumblebee on my laptop
>dnf update

Not a peep since.

Server Windows OS versions are meant for high end. Many users, certain hardware configurations, etc. As far as paranoia, that can be said with anything. Even if you were hosting porn, who cares?
I know all about updating, but who said anything about Linux Mint? I was using Ubuntu with MATE DE.

2TB or 4TB drives in my RAID5/6?
storage space and cost aren't a concern.

>Do old atoms have a planned death thing or something?

no, but it's a nasty bug.
apparently the SoC's clock output to the BIOS is weak and can die after a year or two of continuous output, meaning that the terminal symptom is a complete failure to do anything after a reboot.

i3-530
4GB RAM
GTX 960
Chink SSD + 250GB 2,5" HDD
Linux

Use it for
Owncloud server
Ethereum Wallet (Really has to run 24/7 if I don't want to wait 3 hours until the newest blocks)
Ethereum Mining (Lost like 1,5MHs, hope the GPU won't die soon)

Poor little guy is pretty much on his knees but I believe in him. It's not actually a server and I don't really have knowledge but it just works the way I want and I like watching him knowing he is doing work for me.
Please no bully.

If cost isn't a concern then why not 8TB+? It's a hassle and waste of space to have a lot of small drives.

I have a question for you guys. How resource intensive is it to run a FTP server that would have a max of 5 people on it? Could I run that off a raspberry pi or is that asking to much of it?

>GTX 960
you picked the best card for mining. won't go wrong.

The main server at the bottom is a Dell R710

Dual Xeon L5520 4 core/8 thread 2.27Ghz CPUs
48gb 1333mhz ECC DDR3

4 320gb 15k rpm SAS drives in RAID 1+0
2 2tb 7.2k rpm Sata drives in RAID 1

This is running VMware and about 4 machines doing different things. The main one is my fileserver with the 2tb drives. Unfortunately I found out the hard way the machine doesn't support 4tb drives. So I ended up swapping out the 2 7200 rpm drives in my main pc for the 4tb 5200 rpm shitslow storage drives. So now my fucking desktop has 10tb of storage and my fucking fileserver has 2tb.

The second server (the one on top of the Xbox, under the Audio interface)

Intel i5 4570T 2.9Ghz 2 cores/ 4 threads
8gb 1600mhz DDR3
256gb SSD

I got this as a living room Netflix machine basically, but then I never used it. So I ended up just installing windows on it and I use it for things that need better single core performance than the R710 can provide.

How hard would it be to build a server that allows others to download shit from me?

I have around 1500 movies, over a hundred tv shows, 3000 books, and over a terabyte of porn.

I'd like to make it so my normie friends and family can pirate with ease.

raspberry 3 model b with OMV
old 120GB notebook hdd(don't care about the files on it)
I just torrent stuff and than view it, costed like 50$ total and took me 1 hour to set it up.
I have a WD RED drive maybe I hook that up to it too