Post your gentoo card or get out

post your gentoo card or get out

arch fags can stay as second-class citizens

Other urls found in this thread:

cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/16.04.3/release/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i-is this alright

doesn't gentoo suffer from packages shortage?
after using .deb and pacman based systems it's hard to live with so little packages.

rare
I approve

I fucked up my last OS because I forgot how to use GRUB so now I'm installing gentoo so hopefully I can remember.

Gentoo is for people too lazy to manage their own packages

>i3
I guarantee neither of you actually program.

my dude just do
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

you probably use slackpkg but okay

good guarantee I value your opinion you are clearly the superior programmer here. you must be a very intelligent person.

im arch user and i am second-class citizen

(still learning about gentoo )

>they fell for the 16gb of ram meme

Hmm, you are correct sir, I meant resolve dependencies

Great, now I can boot back into an OS I hate.
I'm installing gentoo anyway so I can brag to prospective employers that I did it.

>doesn't gentoo suffer from packages shortage?

???

employers won't care but it's a good thing to do if you like computers anyway

I used arch for a while and I have not found Gentoo to have any shortage whatsoever. There have been a few obscure ones that you can just build manually without emerge anyway.

It's actually been useful in the past, particularly when I have a lot of tabs open and am trying to run a VM ,etc. Pic related.

what benefit does resolving one's own dependencies bring? genuinely curious.

bump

Why are you trying hard? No one cares anyway.

genuine question

>compiling everything
lamo

what obscure distro is this?

I don't know.

I would, but I'm on my Windows install rendering video.

did you create that fetch, why does it say tfw no free

Legendary plan9, unix successor

bsd is the true successor though

I installed Exherbo when their website existed only to tell you to fuck off.
I did LFS a couple times.
I installed Gentoo many times.

Now I just use Windows because I'm not some loser early 20s retard with time to kill.

k

w-why not use another distro, a-user? i-i hear Void is pretty c-comfy desu

>Being this retard

Gentoo is just a meme distro.

couldnt find how to get memory

?????

I hit swap on my 16gb desktop editing huge files in krita.
my guy

Install Debian.

forgot my pic :)

install gentoo

haven't gotten around to ricing yet

Seconded

Gentoo is a waste of time.

just like Sup Forums

whats that program you are using to browse Sup Forums ? It looks like a command line thingy

EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS='--jobs 7' is all it takes to make installing packages as fast as arch

I don't actually browse Sup Forums with it (i do for other sites though) but it's lynx

Sup Forums is fun though. Unlike waiting for packages to finish compiling.

No it's not.

You actually know what packages are on your computer instead of just blindly trusting whatever packages your distro wants you to use

This is by far the dumbest shit I've read today
It's not like there's not much of a choice with dependencies. It either works, or it doesn't. (and if its optional it should be a suggested package)

Might as well use Windows then if you're just gonna blindly trust everything your distro wants to install

You can have a compile-based system with working dependencies. Review the code like everyone else?

Gentoo teaches to value and optimise time, to think before you do something, to automate processes. Linux is also waste of time for normies.

Thirded.

Currently an arch user. How much more effort is gentoo? Seems interesting to learn it, but do any of you actually have your machines in a completely usable state or are you always configuring things?

XUBUNTU MASTERRACE!

>he doesnt use xubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
>he will never be a cheerful productive man
>he will stay a sad butthurt archfag for life
>why even live

its not too late to lead a happy life desu >>>cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/16.04.3/release/

fourthed...

I hope this post is ironic

is this the new desktop thread

Gentoo doesn't suffer from package shortage at all. Even obscure packages that aren't available in the primary repo can probably be found in an overlay. If that is not the case (at this point I'd be asking myself what the hell I'm doing), but you want to have a package integrated into the package manager at all costs, you can quite easily make your own overlay and write a simple ebuild which builds a release tarball or even clones the upstream version from a git host.

wallpapier pl0x

>not MAKEOPT=-j36

who /getting a threadripper/ 4 gentoo hier

Only for trips

switched to arch from gentoo a number of years ago, but are thinking of switching back to gentoo now that i have better hardware
i also am trying to put together an x32abi system, anybody done/have an x32abi gentoo setup? been having trouble with a few packages

That pic brings old Windows nightmares when literally all that I've used was botnet

tried Gentoo, didn't like it

Installed Arch, too stupid to install Arch edition?
Yeah kid I'm sure you used Gentoo

Hi Danny.

fuck off subhuman

All these people with yoo much free time on their hands. I mean, I could understand Slackware (muh unix philosophy, muh f-91w, mug stick gearshift, etc.) but what's the point in wasting time on Gentoo?

Ubuntu4ever

HI user.

Fuck you cumbreath

muh openrc
muh USE flags
muh based emerge

arch is superior

for u

essplain. Windows nub here thinking of either gento or arch

I love GNU/Linux but it's community is pure cancer. Because of People like you! Enjoy yourselve.

don't even think about it. There are enough threads on Sup Forums with newbie linux users who encounter some problem on these meme distros and then think that all linux distros are like them.
But then again, if you want to be in a meme 'master-race' so badly and you have a lot free time - go with it. Fucking around with a linux distro is kinda fun sometimes.

I really need to update my kernels.

I was dangerously close to installing gentoo and using it for my server, but thankfully I came to my senses and installed a proper distro

I'm also wondering that, I don't mind spending a lot of time to set up everything I like doing that but I can't find much infos about how much time maintenance takes

>systemd

what benefit does compiling one's own binaries for their entire system bring? genuinely curious.

>Being THIS retard

This isn't the GNU/Linux community. It isn't even a computer community in general. This is a bunch of angsty teenagers LARPing with Unix-like systems. These are literally children playing make-believe hackers with expensive props they don't actually understand, and an unhealthy obsession with the "old days" that were long over before they were even born.

If you're a weeb, think of them kinda like Rikka or Dekomori. The key difference being that Rikka and Deko actually know how to use the props they play pretend with.

I thought Popcorn Time wasn't a thing anymore?

is this the cute terminal thread

is dat kde 2?

if you're going to build from source at least do it properly and install Slackware instead

Holy shit it's like im 12 again and installed Mandrake for the first time.

bump