/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

nyaa.si/view/486767
gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Papers/Distortion_AES_I.pdf
gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Papers/Distortion_AES_II.pdf
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
youtube.com/watch?v=nm6DO_7px1I
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e38e/b5526af06589596390cd585e6aa38c19344c.pdf
beyerdynamic.com/shop/custom-studio.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

glomf

HD600s are for brainlets.

nth for dt990 the most FUN headphone

Lol remember that time when you bought a pair of RE-400s and they broke after a week? Hifiman, never again.

Although the sound quality was good, and they were nice looking IEMs.

5th for anime grills with headphones

> have retarded flatmate who whines about me playing my ps4 on speakers
> buy VE monks just for ps4
> start using it as go-to-sleep set
> start using it more than my daily driver
What's next? VE Zen 2.0?

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

dumb HD600 poster

Kill yourself you poorfag

So my HA-2SE came in today. It's a pretty big difference from output that comes straight from my phone.

Anyone own a pair of 579s? There are hardly any reviews for the "new" Sennheiser stuff and I'm trying to find info about the soundstage for these.

Is the HD579 any good?
There are some things that I really like about them. They look cool and the color is great, removable cable, they look comfy, and I've always wanted to own a pair of sennheisers.

Soundstage should be roughly the same as HD558/598, meaning excellent.

Do the 579s have the same thin voice coils as other models in the Sennheiser price range?

HD579, from the measurements I've seen, are basically an HD558/598 with improved sub-bass extension. This means they're the most accurate headphones in their price range, and you can do webm related to them.

That is a design decision unique to the HD600/650/6XX. I am also not aware of a trend of snapping coils in those models.

Even though it was fine, this was painful to watch

Nope

Reminder that grados are for elder deaf fucks.

Did you watched Love Live!?

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

HD599 is, from what I've seen in FR and reviews, a significant improvement over the HD558/598.
The most perceiveable part of it is vastly improved bass extension.

The HD579 seems to be, by FR, identical, but reviewers do seem to agree it sounds better than the HD599. Either way, it's WAY cheaper so among those two it is the one to get.

The HD-25s have similarly thin voice coils.

t. had two pairs break

wow

No, I haven't yet. I'll go find a torrent right now. I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to get through it though. It would have to secure my interest pretty quickly. I don't even watch movies anymore because I usually get bored after an hour of it.
I started playing with EQ last night and it's like discovering a whole new world. I love the sound from my 990's with the curve I set up. It makes me think I might like some etymotics.

Watch the first 3 episodes, if you don't like it drop it but I'm sure you'll like it :)

Ouch @ torrent. Grab this one, which is the best release I'm aware of: nyaa.si/view/486767

My several year old Aune amp shit itself, what would you guys pair with a DT880 600ohm? I'd prefer it to be under $200 and have a nice volume nob

Schiit stack?

Magni 2 Uber $149
He needs only an amp not a dac.

I've seen Schiit thrown around a few times, but I hadn't ever looked at their products. Good suggestion, thank you guys.

>Prodigy

Patrician taste. Consider the kz zs5's for your next step up.

Is there any drawback in connecting DAC to monitor USB port instead of connecting it directly to computer? Apparently it reduces quality but is that so or is it a meme.

None whatsoever. Bits are bits and as long as the signal gets from point a to point b you're gucci

Is there any reason to own a headphone other than the HD 600?

audio noob here. how do I use a usb DAC/amp dongle? Can I simply plug it into my windows 10 desktop/ubuntu17.04 laptop and plug my headphones into that and that's it? or does it need to be 'set up' in some way to make it work properly?

variety

Is 192000hz a meme or does it make a difference? I appreciate the anons response in the last thread but I want more opinions. Is my (expert '192' switch) on my modi 2 an absolute meme?

192khz is kino

yes

650, seriously.

For listening 44khz is quite adequate.

Theoretically makes no difference. But you might as well enable it, you paid for it after all!

Yes, especially with thd this high.

192khz is a meme, a young(16-24) human with good hearing can hear from 17-18hz to 20khz(maybe 21khz).

I'm a Sup Forums regular so your reply means nothing. Though it might still be kino

What's going on with AKG? Are they bankrupt?

SHP9500S
HD 558
HM5
CB-1
M40X
Which one?
I want the best sound with the best comfort
dont want anything too professional or too good since im using them for listening to music mostly and other things like watching videos etc
btw budget is under 100€

What's the current poorfag can? Still a superlux?

Idol trash here... been listening to random non-idol stuff, like prodigy. Right now oasis, somehow.

Yes. It helps you realize how good HD600 is against the other headphone, and wonder why the fuck nobody can release something better than 1997's HD600.

>192KHz
Meme. Exploiting the "higher numbers means its better".
>switch
It's not. The DAC chip they use supports 192KHz. The switch is there because windows prior to the current win10 do not support usb audio class2 without installing third party drivers. It's meant to be in expert mode, unless you're using older windows and you're too much of a lazy fuck to install the drivers.

Magni2.

Holy shit. I set up madvr with mpc-hc at max settings and I've never seen anything like this. It's even got my 980ti hitting full clock speed. I just watch 480p dragonball super from horriblesubs...

Do you even have 192 music? I've never found anything I listen to in higher than CD quality. Or do you mean up-scaling?

>SHP9500
best sound:check
best comfort:check
dont want anything too professional:check
btw budget is under 100€:check

Thanks. I should just leave the switch on, and the setting on my pc just for the sake of it? with zero negative effects?

I personally use my modi2uber (has no switch, always expert mode) at 96/24. The reason I do use 96 over 48 or 44.1 is simply that it's high enough that Windows resampler can probably do a good (transparent) job. 44.1 -> 48 and 48 -> 44.1 I just do not trust it to.

>192KHz/32bit
Waste of CPU time, beyond ridiculous territory.

SHP9500S
How poorfag are we talking about?

under 100 aud

>10% thd in the bass region
wow it's nothing

How loose are girls like her?

SHP9500S

But what benefit could you have from doing that? The source is 44.1, it's not going to just pull bits from the ether, or is it?
I thought the higher sample rates were just for like redbook cds and blu-ray music and shit.

>being deaf

It ain't that bad for me.

I always used 96 before I bought this modi. I'm assuming I should stick to that?

You aren't a poorfaggot

>SHP9500S
those are over 100 aud

Then no ideas here, senpai. I bought mine for $55 USD new.

No I mean it's good. It's really high quality and madvr is increasing the frame rate and shit too.

I wonder what the best headphones are for hq animu?????
>inb4 hd600

It's not a choice.
Videogame music, dvd music, digital tv audio, etc. are typically 48KHz.
CDs are 44.1KHz
Windows has a software mixer that will allow you to hear sound from multiple applications at once. To achieve that, it has to resample.
You're either resampling to 44.1KHz or to 48KHz. As the target is close in both cases, the aproximation is not very good, particularly if the resampler is optimized for performance and low latency rather than quality. Setting a higher target (96 is exactly twice 48KHz, more than twice 44.1) makes the fastests and shittiest resamplers behave decently.

why are Sennheiser's 500 series much better built than their more expensive 600 series

If you're not a sheep and actually want to try different sets to find what suits your personal taste, then yes, there is a reason. It's never a BAD choice, but I'm fairly certain that a fair majority of the people who just buy it on recommendation could find something they personally like better, without EQ. Ya'll got a cult of personality around here as bad, if not worse, than Reddit or Zeos fanboys. Fair recommendations are okay, but they are not the be-all, end-all.

mouthbreathers are more likely to buy the cheaper mainstream series of can (500) and therefore the build quality needs to be better

They use actual bendable plastic without thin-ass voice coils.

But all the fat retard autist weeaboos buy 600s.

Because the 500 series is build for gorillas and the 600 for audio enthusiast that know how to treat headphones.

This is similar to graphics. Upcaling an old videogame that's, say, 1024x768, to 1080p, will look weird, especially so if there's pixel art. Some "pixels" will be bigger than others, or a blurry headache inducing mess.
Same videogame, same 1024x768, but upscaled to 4K, does actually look good. Be it using nearest aproximation or something more sophisticated (and intrinsically blurry), it will still look better when the target is 4K than with a 1080p target.
Using a 96KHz sample rate target is the same idea, but with audio.

what are some headphones with good soundscape liquidity?

>Gorilla
Kek. An anorexic chink is able do that

>good
HD600.

I don't want boring shit

Because they can't snap

zzz i have made a mistake. I should have just bought an HD598 instead of the HD6XX

>Good soundscape liquidity
What?

what are some headphones with good sub-treble granularity?

Baby them. Don't stretch the headband too far, and don't drop them with they thin-ass voice coils. Don't buy the 598s unless if you want to be cucked by modded HD 558s

THD measurements are not a reliable indicator of audibility:
gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Papers/Distortion_AES_I.pdf
gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Papers/Distortion_AES_II.pdf
> In our next paper we will show that .01% THD of one type of nonlinear system can be perceived as unacceptable while 10% THD in another example is perceived as inaudible. Even one of these simple examples is sufficient to invalidate THD as a viable metric for discussion of the perception of distortion. Furthermore, 1% THD is not at all the same as 1% IM, but we will show that neither correlates with subjective perception.
>These results supported the skepticism that THD and IMD metrics were poor predictor of subjective perception of sound quality ratings.
Furthermore:
asa.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1121/1.4984044
>Research has suggested that non-linear properties of headphone responses have little effect

Good idea to replace my old m50x for bt770s?
Looking for some comfy closedback headphones.

debunked

>More THD is better
S T O P

dt770*

what are some headphones with a fast soundstage?

And poorly sealed

>snap
Or I will attack, and you don't want that.
youtube.com/watch?v=nm6DO_7px1I

Furthermore:
pdfs.semanticscholar.org/e38e/b5526af06589596390cd585e6aa38c19344c.pdf
From this presentation given at the AES 129th convention:
>Conventional distortion measurements such as THD do not show reliable correlation to the ear’s perception

i've got a pair of AKG K612 Pros and my best friend is sending me his modded Grado SR80e's. but a pair of electrostatic cans is a nice thing to have.

is the Massdrop Hifiman cans a good deal?

Yes if you can handle its cheap feeling build quality

Keyword
>reliable
Paper is not claiming there's no correlation.

That was a pretty good explanation user. I switched my settings in windows over to 24bit 96khz from 16bit 44.1. I didn't realize window's grimy hands touched my audio at all anymore now that I have a dac/amp. I thought it handled it at all but I guess thats impossible because( as another user said) something has to manage the audio from multiple programs.

beyerdynamic.com/shop/custom-studio.html

dt 770 with removable cable