What's a good reason for brands removing the 3.5mm port from mobile phones?

What's a good reason for brands removing the 3.5mm port from mobile phones?

It can't be durability, that port is much more durable than the micro USB port still being used on the majority of phones today.

It can't be internal space restraint as we've seen no big improvement on the space inside a phone being utilised since brands started removing it. iPhone 7 still has a 65% screen to body ratio too so it's not like they were short on space compared to the typical Android phone with 72% screen to body ratio.

What the fuck is happening to the smartphone industry?

because they want to cuck us into buying shitty adapters for $50

> brands
> apple

My only guess is "waterproofing" or increasing water resistance, which seems retarded to me.

Retards who drop their phones in liquids deserve it.

>HTC
>ZTE
>Xiaomi
>Google pixel

Have you been under a rock?

USB-C and Lightning provide supposedly better music quality.
Also, if done right, saves some space for larger batteries and other internal components (see Xiaomi Mi6).

I personally would have a problem with it, as I solely rely on bluethooth headphones these days, because my headphone jack is fucked up, so I wouldn't have a problem with it, except when my headphones run out of juice.

Some of us work a lot in environments where features like that aren't undesirable but I do agree with you. I don't care about 3.5mm jack or music at all really, but I like a big screen that's invincible, so I got an iPhone 7 plus in a lifeproof case and shit is cash.

i work 1st line phone support for the biggest phone company in Norway and just today a customer told me he had "rinsed off" his iPhone 5 by rubbing it while holding it under running water.
He then proceeded to ask me if this could be the cause of the phone misbehaving the last couple of days. Needless to say I sold him a new iPhone SE

>Plug dongle in
>Plug earphones in
>Put in pocket
It's surprisingly extremely unpleasant.

Also can't plug earphones in while charging gets to me too

Jews. It's always jews.

usb ports are thinner. People want thinner phones, so this was inevitable.

The real question is, when are usb earphones be as cheap and common as 3.5mm earphones?

Major reason is probably cost, even a $0.30 jack add up when you're talking about millions of devices.

Secondary reason is probably just trying to be trendy and "push technology forward," totally ignoring that a large chunk of your user base still utilizes this feature. Basically the same shit Apple pulls all the time to great success, so not surprising other companies would be trying to emulate it.

Yup, and that's totally fine. The case industry will always be there.

I suppose this is a possibility, but I feel like it would be worse on battery life as the USB Type-C headphone is most likely a headphone and DAC which requires extra power.

.____.

Wait until now I just assumed they replaced the jack with an extra usb port, are you telling me these phones only have one port in total?

>People want thinner phones
What the fuck?

Yup. Only one type C or lightning port. They've completely removed the dedicated audio port.

think different.

yes they literally have the single port and don't even include dongles

Yup they can if they transfer audio digitally and it is converted at a headset for lightning or USB that maybe uses auxiliary power to boost, instead of at the 3.5mm traditional cable, which is ancient. Even USB 2.0 headsets are leagues better, you notice if you ever try to listen some quality .flac music on a premium 3.5 mm headset vs a premium USB headset.

>USB-C and Lightning provide supposedly better music quality
No it fucking doesn't. Stop parroting retarded bullshit.

HTC dongles are proprietary, you can't use cheap third party ones on the U11 ultra and U11.

I want a niggress like that

It's literally the same fucking signal over a different port.

You may as well be saying HDMI has better digital image quality than DVI on a FHD display when is the fucking same shit.

My only problem is that are there any reputable headphone manufacturers that make good USB C or Lightning headphones?

Biased poll is biased.

If the question had been "All other things being equal, would you prefer a thinner or thicker phone?" a significant majority would have answered thinner.

You can force the consumer to buy pricey headphones or adapters, depending on if they're brand loyal.
For example, Apple includes both an adapter and the standard Lightning EarPods, but they also have the expensive AirPods.

Not before you get to upgrade.

Can't make it thinner without cutting down though.

It's simple for Apple though, they could make it thinner by adding more bezels and increasing the camera hump!

Apple Store probably has the only place maybe bowers Wilkins might, they work tight with Apple and make premium shit. Had a 3.5mm one that lasted about 4 years of regular abuse and the quality was the best you can ask for in the size it was

But that's the thing, phones are (supposedly) getting thinner AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHER THINGS such as the battery size and ports. Nobody wants that. If they do, they shouldn't own such a device to begin with.

You can't slap copy protection on an analog output port, while usb-c allows them to keep you from recording the signal until it comes out of a speaker.

Nope not really any reliable brands still, can't find anything

I want to bury my head in her chest and make the old fart sounds while she sqiirms

It's still too soon, also anything that'll already be out will be overpriced as fuck too thanks to the low demand.

>going outside
>Sup Forums
you expect anyone to believe your ridiculous lies?

I pity anyone who is this delusional.

Stop projecting

I think the only defensible position is that USB audio sounds good but that's really a question of digital vs analog.

99% of people will be using an adapter for their existing 3.5mm units though.

John goes outside big whoop

I float my Xperia in my cocktail at after-work meetings just to tilt autists like you.

Thickness. Which gets into "well, I don't think that's good!" territory, but is a quantifiable engineering decision. 3.5mm jacks take up at a minimum about 4x4x14, so no matter how huge your bezel is they make it impossible to get under around 6mm thick (jack + 1mm casing on either side).

What I'm really waiting for is a 4-pin linear connector like Sony's older waterproof charging ports, though. It would solve the problem while being backwards-compatible with a cheap and simple mechanical adapter.

>Thickness
Most people would prefer thicker phones though if it meant not sacrificing ports and battery life

Probably! It's consistent with even iPhone vs. flagship android sales.

It's not necessarily optimal to always chase "most", though, especially if it means being one of dozens chasing that 60 or 70 percent rather than being alone with the remaining 30 or 40. Most people prefer cola as a soft drink, but a hell of a lot more Mountain Dew gets sold than Royal Crown.

Who, in current year says that they want their phones to be thinner? I've never heard anybody say that since 2011. If anything, people like lighter phones (myself included), but not to the point where we're sacrificing things like a headphone jack and a decent amount of battery life.

This, its almost certainly really about deals with the record industry who are still idiotically obsessed with closing the analog hole when they should just go back to selling actual records.

Its nothing to do with waterproofing, it's so they don't have to include a DAC dedicated to the 3.5mm jack.

We finally found the winner.

Waterproofing and a way to push bluetooth headphone sales. Either from the phone manufacturer or partners. You may not agree but its a form of pushing innovation.

the fact that I can see so much of her midriff but cant see her belly button makes me slightly uncomfortable. All up, 9.5/10

A woman's waist is above their hips parallel with their belly buttons which is where her pants are at.

Has ZTE really done this?

I thought the Axon 7 was an Audiophiles dream phone

its too bad that finding a black woman thats actually this attractive is like trying to find santa claus. most of these are instagram models.

She's part Indian

Is this actually true? It has to be converted to analog at the end anyway. If by improving you mean manufacturers being kikes with the built in dac to offload audio to the headphone integrated dac I wouldnt consider this an advantage, although ineed it can provide better quality. It'd be like what happened with Compact Flash, more complex and expensive designs because fuckers couldn't be bothered to do things right from the get-go.

More so they can insert non-recording/patent/copyright protection hardware into the audio line of all smart phones. Need to totally block/remove the scourge of people with mp3's legal or otherwise. Also new hardware/peripherals must sell, only can make so much off cases and stands. Headphones generally wear out much faster because of direct contact/movement/flexing and human usage compared to a phone.

Do I smell a conspiracy?

>People want thinner phones, so this was inevitable.

Yes, that's why the iPhone 6 was 6.9mm while the 7 is 7.1mm oh wait...

Axon 7 was, but their sub-brand Nubia has dropped it so it's most likely that the axon 8 will not have one too.

I think you can kinda see her belly button if you check the top of the pants

Sony will be the last to remove the jack if they ever do. Feels good man.

I get the feeling Samsung too, they haven't been trying to copy Apple lately...

headphone jacks are honeypot-botnet scams. apple realised that they were produced by china chine can never be trusted. that's why they stoped putting them on their devices.

>are there any reputable headphone manufacturers that make good USB C or Lightning headphones?
no, and there's no plans for them to
reputable manufacturers don't build around trends to be obsoleted every 5 years

This. We need another 4 years of dongles at least before we start seeing decent and decently priced units being sold.

>people
>apple consumers

pick one.

Dongles are such cancer, I've got so much buyer's remorse for my U11.

What do you mean?

>charge your phone
>charge your laptop
>charge your car
>charge your watch
>charge you headphones

im running out of outlets here what will need to be charged for no reason next my chair? or maybe my shoes? whwn will this insanity end?

There is no. It is pure anti-consumerism and I would recommend to never buy a phone that has no 3.5mm jack. Fuck these apple copying kikes and fuck apple.

>He doesn't charge his house
Why are you against the hyperloop?

It's not waterproofing. Galaxy S5 is considered to be waterproof and it has 3.5mm

Daily reminder that the headphone jack is why phones were so thick.

Really though it is cheaper not to put one in for the manufacturer

They are regressing, phones back in the day (even music phones like the Sony Walkman 810 or something) didn't have a 3.5mm jack. We are literally going backwards in technology.

The real question is when are we going to get HUD phones? Fuck holding a black rectangle to shitpost.

the xD seeew thiiin meme really has to die

Hand-feel improves with thinness just like salt improves a soup. There is a point where it's too much or too little. Sacrificing jack plugs to make the phone thinner is fucking retarded.

I want to fuck that niggeress so bad

Think about it, if we waterproof electronics, then we can throw people in pools again!

>being in the vicinity with a pool and people
the absolute state of neo/g/

This. Even Xperia phones are waterproof.

No good reason whatsoever

>I float my Xperia in my cocktail at after-work meetings just to tilt autists like you.
Gross, do you know how much bacteria is on a phone?

it's the reason phones today ar STILL so thick

Looks like shit to me.

>Thick
You mean comfortable to hold?

Waterproof rating may be the same on Day 1 but over time the more complex entry points you have on the case the faster the super duper waterproof case is going to turn into a kinda sorta water resistant-ish case

I've been bike commuting in all weather for a few years, I've seen electronics fail due to poor design even though they are supposedly water resistant. One light may be rated equal to another on paper but you get a sense of which ones are going to fail sooner than others after a while.

In an ideal world of course I want a 3.5mm jack. If it means I get better waterproofing for the life of the product I'll give that up without hesitation though. It's not like you can't have sound without a 3.5mm jack.

for that real nigger bass

That's an alcoholic beverage. The bacteria die.

Only if you're drinking straight liquor or a martini.

How is that shit? What does "good" look like? Should the curve be completely flat or what?

You can see that have more pronounce bass and a peak on high freq. With some shit in the middle. Ideally the line should be flat.

Copying the biggest player.

Because it makes even less sense than the Concord.

You mean Samsung?

>What's a good reason for brands removing the 3.5mm port from mobile phones?
space in the phone for more important stuff.

Huff post there's your problem

it is so they can push drm cancer all the way into the headphone. Next thing will be a blood oxygen sensor checking that there is a living ear beside the speaker before it cuts on.

This is why I bought a OPO

because it's fucking deprecated. I don't see you guys crying about how your phone doesn't have VGA out

black people age really well actually. It's white people that age like cheese desu senpai