- /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources. If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet? prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

/t/'s GNU/Linux Videos:

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/blob/master/g_src/music_and_sound_openal.cpp
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
packman.links2linux.org/download/ffmpeg/2848146/libswresample2-32bit-3.3.3-3.1.x86_64.rpm
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10270
github.com/dpayne/cli-visualizer
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

whatever happened to last thread?

I have to use windows for playing my PC games, but I would like to move from Windows to Linux for everything else.

Any tips for this? I was thinking of making a partition on my main drive for Ubuntu and dual boot with win10.
How much space does that partition need, just the specified space for the installation or more?

Is BFQ a meme?

I haven't installed Ubuntu in ages, so I can't remember how much space it gives to your partitions, but when I dual booted, I gave root 40gb but I could've probably use just 30), and the rest was the predetermined spacing.

If you have relatively new hardware and want to use linux as your main OS you could take a look at gpu passthrough via qemu/kvm. It's not hard, but you'll need some basic knowledge about udev rules, loading/removing kernel modules, and maybe changing kernels.

I am trying to play Dwarf Fortress with sound in gentoo, but it says
data/sound/filename.ogg not found, sound not loaded

for several files even though i know they are in that folder. What can i do to fix this?
I installed all the dependencies that it asked for.

So it seems that urxvt has larger spacing between lines than some other terminals because it adds a space for underlines?
Is there no way to disable underlining altogether, or to tell it to just let the underline overlap with any characters?

Because I'd much rather have 1 less pixel of spacing per line than to have underlines which I pretty much never use or see.

You can try running it under strace to check it is actually getting an ENOENT and not just printing that error message for some other reason. Eg
strace -fefile -s99 -o /tmp/dorf.trace dorf.exe
(it'll run slower than normal) then search /tmp/dorf.out for mention of one of the problematic files.

Basically what this guy said here I just want to add though that gpu passthrough requires you to have 2 GPUs. One of them can be an iGPU like the ones included in Intel CPUs, but amd CPUs do not have iGPUs.

I would like that too if you find out but it looks to me like the underline is higher than the low point of letters with dangly bits, like the y and p in pic related. So not sure that is the reason.

show severals open attempts at files but i think they are symlinks because next line it opens at the real location. But the specific /data/sound files return 0. That means it's okay right?

I think there's different levels though. Because the cursor underline is blow everything.

Enter this in a terminal to temporarily set your cursor to an underline:
echo -e '\e[3 q'
You can then see that it shows up below the other underline. Whereas if I do this on other terminals the underline cursor shows up higher

sorry. i mean they open attempt returns with 10 and 12

Why does CSGO stutter like a motherfucker in Manjaro KDE (RX 470)?

Graphics settings on high/low/multicore rendering enabled/disabled, resolution...doesn't make a difference, on the title screen Steam's FPS counter will show ~150fps but ingame, it jumps between 25-30fps to 100ish intermittently and is stuttery as hell.

I already tried deleting those libs in ~/.steam/root.

Forgot to add, on the open-source amdgpu mesa drivers since the proprietary ones aren't supported by manjaro yet.

Yeah, those are the new file descriptors.
It is probably getting an error from openal and catching all just reporting all errors from that block with the same message.

is there a way to read the error directly from openal?

I think some people get that as a problem with some cpu governors that dynamically adjust performance too rapidly
Try running:
cpufreq-set -c 0 -g performance
cpufreq-set -c 1 -g performance
cpufreq-set -c 2 -g performance
for each core on your machine (you can check how many you have with "cat /proc/cpuinfo" for example with 8 cores you'd see cores 0-7 listed)

This will turn off any automatic scaling of cpu performance and just set it to the max. To go back to normal replace "performance" with "ondemand" and do it again.

If this fixes your issue you could script it to turn performance up right before you launch csgo and then go back to ondemand when you're done.

wait so I can just run windows in a VM and use my GPU?

nice, time to move to gentoo I only use this POS OS for games

Maybe it is just your font that makes it look like that.

why is slackware such a great distro?

Hi I just made the switch from Windows to Arch and I'm browsing this site now with Konqueror. It sucks.

What is the browser /fglt/ usus?

Firefox nightly is pretty great.

Is it worth it to learn to use expect?

Icecat, chromium if you don't mind the botnet, firefox was okay until version 53, now it's utter shit, don't even bother with it.

Dunno but according to github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-/blob/master/g_src/music_and_sound_openal.cpp
it is using libsndfile and not bothering to report the error. It has a pretty simple API so you could try writing a tiny test program.

What happened to Firefox? I heard it got invaded by SJW's but I don't know if that's true.

I DO mind the botnet, but Chrome is pretty awesome. On windows I used ungoogled chromium and it worked great with plugins like vimium, but sadly I'm too retarded to compile it myself.

Are there any non-botnet chromium based brothers?

so this method
sf_open(filename.c_str(), SFM_READ, &sfinfo)
is returning a null pointer.

i mean function

Yes, but as said, you'll need 2 gpus (or one gpu and one igpu), that's because you'll need to unloas the gpu you'll use to passthrough from the kernel on boot.

You can modprobe and use it on your host after you boot, but you can't boot with that gpu as your main host gpu AND pass it through to your VM.

Some games falsely detect my sound card as 5.1 even though there's only 1 analog stereo connected to it
How do I force ALSA to only allow stereo?

For example, Civilization VI and all Source engine games

yeah I can use my IGPU and GPU but there'd be times where I'd need to use the GPU (I do some ML work in Tensor) as well

Ye. Looks like your libsndfile wasn't compiled with ogg support. Try installing sndfile-programs and running sndfile-play on the ogg files to check. Maybe just convert them into wav or something.

Just make a new PCM in your asoundrc with your hw device as slave and specify channels 2 in the slave description.

i think you are right. I already had it installed. It gives me
File contains data in an unimplemented format
How do i emerge it with ogg support?

tfw I found out today that you can check your variables in bash scripts with if; then, else, fi. Why is GNUlix so great?

if only checks exit status. test (aka [) is rather more versatile.

Thanks for the suggestion, my terminal didn't find that command though.

tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

you obviously never had the joy the script with windows batch files

Sup Forums I've used Linux last year, but because of work/colege, I came back to Windows, now I'm going for the dual boot, since things calmed a little.
I used mostly antergos (8~months) and ubuntu for few weeks, i liked antergos a lot, but the eventual maintenances were painful, I'm kinda newbie.
So here I'm, since I've done my research I got stuck between Manjaro and Mint, both seem friendly enough to manage. Ah, going with GNOME ofc.
So.. thoughts?

my script only contains
if [ -d $DIRECTORY ]; then
%action
else echo "error"
fi
for now, so I guess I'm already using test?
much appreciated
no I haven't, are you saying it's more difficult?

>Manjaro and Mint
I thought they were both jokes?

Manjaro is okay, but I'd rather use just Arch.
Check Artix and devuan too. Easy to use and you avoid any systemd inconvenience

Mint is.

I am also noob, used Ubuntu briefly in the past and was not a fan, I installed Manjaro KDE and have been loving it. Definitely recommend.

Also, previous to that I tried Mint, but thought it was also too simplistic a la Ubuntu. Love that AUR.

Why isn't pic related a default thing for a fresh Xubuntu installation on an Intel HD graphics machine? It removes the infamous tearing of Xubuntu with what seems to be no drawbacks.

Is void as free as parabola or trisquel?
I want to install a free distro without systemd

Does the Ubiquity installer normally hang when using one of the normie "recommended" partition schemes, or does it only happen when a competent user has a particular use case in mind?
Either way how do I unfuck myself if I have a hard drive without an operating system and an installer that won't install?

I think it was the minimal flag. Now without it it works. Thanks for the help.
Now i need to know why TEXT mode doesn't work. Something with not finding any flavour libncursesw/libncurses

rec me a non systemd distro to use from debian

Do you lot even know why you don't want to use systemd?

I swear to god I'm going to smash this piece of shit. So, I have some problems with my homeserver. Runs Debian:
1) The disk block device names keep changing, rendering the system unbootable. No, I can't use UUID because it's a fucking SPARC system and SILO is a steaming piece of turd. How the fuck can I stop this bullshit?
2) I had a bonded network interface with a static IP and everything was working hunky-dory until I decided I wanted to install pi-hole. Now every time I start the system up every single physical interface gets its own address for absolutely no fucking reason whatsoever, and the bond iface gets the static IP I had configured. Why the fuck is this happening? It's not in the goddamn /etc/network/interfaces file.

The package which contains it should be something like "cpufrequtils"

i'm reading the unix programming environment, and i see now that i'm not really using something with the soul of unix

I can't wait until we have a mainstream nix-like or guix-like distro

and when new users ask what to install we just link them to a pastebin with an awesome /fglt/ tricked out complete config file

You weren't using Linux in the first place. Install OpenBSD or Plan9 or whatever they're calling the open Solaris fork these days.

> The disk block device names keep changing
Not sure it it'll work (especially in the ramdisk) but on my machine there is /dev/block/by-{id,label,partlabel,partuuid,path,uuid} folders that are presumably created by udev.

I dunno about that network shit. Are you using dhcp? NetworkManager?

>Plan9
lol

Hey Sup Forumsuys
I'm installing Gentoo on a new hd with the "~amd64" keyword set and it keeps failing to emerge dev-python/cryptography no matter what use flags I've tried. Is this common with the unstable branch? Should I just stick with the stable for now? I'd prefer up to date packages.

>/dev/block/by-{id,label,partlabel,partuuid,path,uuid}
Thank you so much. Passing the root= bootarg with the disk id worked.

>Are you using dhcp? NetworkManager?
Nope, all static. This config was working until I installed pi-hole and rebooted.
My interfaces file looks like this:
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The bonded network interface
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
bond-mode 0
bond-primary enp0s1f1
bond-slaves enp0s1f1 enp1s0f1
bond-miimon 100
bond-downdelay 400
bond-updelay 800
address 192.168.1.12
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

rate

is it actually a good idea to install gentoo?

no it's a joke

not-the-thread-you-think-it-is/10

sorry

If you have to ask, then it's not for you.

>Pass user since 2017

>is it actually a good idea to install gentoo...
for?

personal computing and work

install gentoo

>install openSuse
>notice that all videos can only play at 240-280p
>because MP4 codecs are not installed out of the box
>have to go to some weird website offering extra packages not shown in the normal package manager
What the actual fuck.

All these extra hoops for basic functionalities This is why Linux will never be popular.

You can get the package here:
packman.links2linux.org/download/ffmpeg/2848146/libswresample2-32bit-3.3.3-3.1.x86_64.rpm

>>notice that all videos
On YouTube, that is.

I just want to complain that the linux client for private internet access uses the deprecated net-tools package and it screwing with my laptop's suspend function

What key is ^[[6~^?

^~^

>Alacritty - Another promising looking lightweight terminal
>without any scrollback
What the fuck is with this trend?

I don't understand. Having a terminal without scrollback is one of the most retarded concepts of development on GNU/Linux I've ever heard
>B-But it's not the job of a terminal to do multiplexing, use tmux
This also makes no sense at all. Under what definition of "multiplexing" does scrolling fall under?

and even if it was considered multiplexing I can't help but point out that these terminals already fucking have scrolling. When the screen is filled it scroll up, that means they already have the code in their terminal for shifting lines. Saying you can't just increase the buffer size and let it go the other way too is bullshit.

Didn't mean to link that post

Jeez user I just posted an emoticon.
I didn't know you would get so mad
Can you forgive me?

Nevermind, got it working. Had to select the correct profile.

No, I'm fucking pissed.

Well fuck you too faggot

>friendly

pls stop

This problem has already been noted if anyone is wondering.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10270
I don't know if to blame ncurses6.0 or df.

what the fuck is up with audio visualizers
>cava looks like shit, but at least syncs correctly
>ncmpcpp is amazing but it's fifo-based so it unsyncs every ten seconds
fucking why

github.com/dpayne/cli-visualizer

It isn't a trend. It is a "I want to do a opengl backed terminal in rust" project. Basically personal development shit. Just ignore it.

qmmp supports projectm (milkdrop from winamp2) as a plugin. Opengl backed and smooth as butter.

>opengl backed terminal in rust
Isn't that all good though? Maybe experimental, sure. But wouldn't that actually make a pretty efficient, fast, lightweight terminal application?

Actually on github they say they got so much pushback for not having scrollback that they're adding it now

Daily reminder that it's OK to keep a snack between your toes for later consumption

>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ sudo apt-get install openvpn
>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>Suggested packages:
> resolvconf
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
> openvpn
>0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>Need to get 0 B/477 kB of archives.
>After this operation, 1,116 kB of additional disk space will be used.
>Preconfiguring packages ...
>Selecting previously unselected package openvpn.
>(Reading database ... 46247 files and directories currently installed.)
>Preparing to unpack .../openvpn_2.3.4-5+deb8u2_amd64.deb ...
>Unpacking openvpn (2.3.4-5+deb8u2) ...
>Processing triggers for systemd (215-17+deb8u7) ...
>Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.0.2-5) ...
>Setting up openvpn (2.3.4-5+deb8u2) ...
>Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-18+deb8u10) ...
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ openvpn
>-bash: openvpn: command not found
>
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ dpkg-query -l | grep openvpn
>ii openvpn 2.3.4-5+deb8u2 amd64 virtual private network daemon
>xxx@xxx:/usr/bin$ openvpn
>-bash: openvpn: command not found

what the fuck

nevermind I had to run as sudo wtf

It's not Xfce exclusive first of all.

Because it gives a slight performance toll (according to some sources). The Intel DDX driver is also very old (unless you distribution packages development builds) and some people have no problems just using the modesetting driver and that one doesn't support that option.
Also it's not hard for users to enable it themselves.

>apparently is a power user who doesn't need systemd
>doesn't know how to look up online some basics facts

Go here

Then you better replace 90% of other software too, you retard.

Wooooow, you installed software other people wrote and applied a wallpaper and theme other people made. wooooow you are a god, that is impressive, your... whatever is impressive you are so cool it totally represents your soul everyone approves of you well done nice cool i like it

Stop posting you imbecile.

how can void be so good. I'll be using this distro for the rest of my life as long as the head behind it doesn't run out of pesos or whatever the fuck money spaniards use.

What's so good about it?

It's simple, regularly updated, has all the packages I want and I've been using it for the last 8 months with no breakages from updates. What more can you want from a distro.