Thoughts on icecat? Be honest is it good or shit?

Thoughts on icecat? Be honest is it good or shit?

Good.
But not for Android.

IS GOOD if you want privacy, based on ESR, its just works and not bullshit under the hood

I wouldn't think of using anything else

Compiling icecat
My ryzen 1700 CPU goes full speed
Crashes, reboots
Can't use icecat... :(

I'd give it more of a shot but the Mac version has been stuck on 38.8.0 for a year

seriously considering it based on that pic alone

didn't know about this. checked my FF 55 and it's the same fuck yeah.

Development is slow. Spyblock is based on an old version of adblock but the Dev expressed interest in using ublock

It's only good if you're too retarded to flip a couple switches in about:config

You can have all the privacy from IceCat while enjoying more frequent updates and better compatibility in Firefox.

deprecated, iceweasel is the successor

If only you could compile it.

Could you explain?

Install Python,
Download the Source code.
put it in a folder,
run
'mach build' from terminal
use mach run to make sure it works.

find the "DMG" in the folders, install move on

The beauty of FOSS

fuckin awesome, thanks user

Or just use fucking Firefox and disable the telemetry. Literally takes a minute.
Faster than compiling some placeboware from source.

>Install Python,
Dropped.

is dis true

yes

Yeah. It's not that hard.

how did you get it to have categories, my config is just a list. im on ubuntu no bully pls

it's what they say on the box: FF with extra addons, extra privacy settings and bunch of shit like recommending nonfree plugins removed.

Also gotta love how librejs assfucks every recent anti-adblock method.

Screenshot? Also Firefox version.

Icon is a cat
Dropped

it's a nice cat user
an ice cat

Autismo tier

what do you mean categories? If you mean this screenshot then type whats in the url shown in the pic.
But about:config is going to have the most comprehensive list of settings.

I think you're misunderstanding.
about:config are the settings and about:telemetry just shows what kind of telemetry is enabled/being sent.

I use FF stable and am happy with it, but I like to try shit out and tinker

I'm pretty sure it's just a joke about how there's been about ten threads about Hobbes being on the nightly icon, and people not knowing who Hobbes is.

I used it for a while, but sometimes it wouldn't load certain HTTPS pages. Mostly image servers. Changing SSL cypher settings in about:config also didn't help.

No idea if this is fixed now or not, or if it was intentional all along, but I switched to cyberfox then (which will be dead within a year) so I'm considering switching back.

yeah i saw about:config and then didnt realize the screenshot has about:telemetry open thank u user(s)... :^)

Maybe HTTPS-Everywhere was the problem?

I prefere Firefox 57 nightly

I don't think so because I'm using it on cyberfox too with my icecat profile folder copied over.

Also copying the folder to standard firefox the sites would load too.

Enjoy not having any working extensions.

I'm with the other user, I had issues with HTTPS Everywhere. Now I'm using Smart HTTPS.

daily reminder if you want to keep noscript on nightly

>using NoScript in 2017
Switch to uMatrix already.

But don't rely on this though, because this is temporary and it's likely Mozilla will get rid of this toggle by the end of Nightly 57. It's better to find alternatives to legacy add-ons.

Wait so how did you guys get no data collected for every category, or is that just some kind of example?

>how did you guys get no data collected
Disable Health Report, Telemetry etc.

Why? NoScript works very well for me. What are the differences?

i do but those pics literally have every single category with no data.

Well I don't know what it usually looks like (post yours?) but I disable internet during setting up my Firefox and disabling botnet shit is the first thing I do on first launch, so it has never had the chance to collect or send anything. That's why everything is blank.

not much info here but this is basically what it looks like, everything off screen is just no data collected. i wasn't sure if this screen shows just data collection history or what is collected by websites every time you visit.

say that to my face fucker

This isn't stuff websites collect.
Telemetry is info Mozilla collects to "help make Firefox better" and whatnot.

i was thinking about how websites see certain info and all that so excuse me for that

See

I got a new computer and started off fresh with it. I wanted to use IceCat as my main browser except it takes about 30s to start up and is slow as fuck. I'm using Firefox ESR.

if Windows use Waterfox, Pale Moon or Iridium
If Linux use Pale Moon, Icecat or Chromium Stable