Just a quick reminder that macOS and FreeBSD are the only OS's that actually have a up-to-date filesystem

Just a quick reminder that macOS and FreeBSD are the only OS's that actually have a up-to-date filesystem.

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016999-CH6-DontLinkElementID_3
wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/ZFS
packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=zfs&searchon=names
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can't wait for macOS 10.13.
Already have it on my laptop and it's pretty good for a beta but want to wait for final before I update my main.

Why should I care, again?

i can't even read that, phoneposter

Do you have a mental disability? You can run ZFS on Linux. GNU is also a userspace and has absolutely nothing to do with kernel filesystems.

Windows have ReFS its used in windows server 2012+ and will be used as next FS after NTFS

Can't boot, motherfucker. Can't simply install on ZFS, idiot.

Then Microdick decided it was too expensive, and killed it.

Gotta have more tablet features!

NTFS is a good filesystem but many of the features are hidden from the user in Windows because of some backwards compatibility bullshit

Yes you fucking can, autist. You can compile it straight into the kernel or have it as a module on an initramfs. It's so fucking easy that the Ubuntu installer will do it for you.

No they didn't. Are you thinking of WinFS?

Nope, and nobody cares about excuses...

No, you don't. The Ubuntu installer HAD it, and then they had to remove it.

Where is it now? Bitch? They stopped.

Being added to win10 pro ws in the fall

Yeah they stopped winfs and made refs instead.

t. mactoddler who can't compile a kernel

You can create a ReFS partition in Windows 8+ right now

>Nope, and nobody cares about excuses...
This is a thread about the filesystems themselves instead of the OS-specific implementation of the filesystem, no?

"Maybe next time", they have been promissing it for ages!

Yes, I can, but I won't, just I don't wash my dishes.

What are you talking about, retard? ReFS is still being actively developed.

>the city of you

Wasn't APFS the one that dropped unicode normalization.
Leading to all sorts of fun with HFS+ migration and everything using non-ASCII characters?

No, it's all BS by the obvious haters...

What about OpenIndiana from which FreeBSD's ZFS is ported from? Also, ZoL is pretty stable.

Jesus Christ you're an idiot.

>APFS
>botched normalization of filenames
>fake copies of files.
yeah no

So that's why Apple itself advises to use "high level APIs" when dealing with the FS instead of letting the FS itself handle things.
I see it now.

Source:
developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/APFS_Guide/FAQ/FAQ.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40016999-CH6-DontLinkElementID_3

Ext3COW is a thing, though I don't know if it's stable enough for mainstream use.
Reiser4 has different writing strategies and COWs some stuff
ZFS is available through FUSE.

The only reason zfs isn't supported out of the box on linux is because of incompatible licences. You can still manually compile it into the kernel though.

Yeah, works out of the box? I don't care.

If you don't care, don't post on a board that is, by definition, for people who care.

Doesn't work out of the box, because it's not part of Linux.

ZFS worked on macOS before APFS was even announced via legitimate kernel extensions, didn't make ZFS a Mac filesystem.

You can use zfs on any linux distro worth a shit. I use it on my file server runing suse.

Technically, APFS isn't part of MacOS either. It's just the only OS that supports it.

Can you even copy URLs into macs ctrl+O like on Windows?

You high?

What do you even mean?

Can you even drag&drop on Windows, while using the keyboard and scrolling?

You're a retard. ReFS supports CoW, furthermore with Storage Spaces Direct and CSV_ReFS it supports spanning multiple servers and reading/writing to them in parallel. Neither APFS nor ZFS supports this natively, and you have to run a bullshit FS on top of ZFS to accomplish it.

Ubuntu ships ZFS, you can install it as your base filesystem out of the box. Are you actually fucking retarded.

if only Windows supported ReFS.

For the fucking 1923912839812TH time.

UBUNTU
DOES
NOT
SHIP
WITH
ZFS
ANYMORE
BECAUSE
STALLMAN
SAID
SO
BECAUSE
ZFS
IS
NOT
GPL
SO
YOU
ALL
BEND
THE
KNEE
FREETARDS
AND
SETTLE
FOR
INFERIOR
SOFTWARE

>if only Windows supported ReFS.
How retarded are you?

Nice, you labeled one of your drives "SOFS"

Scale Out File Server.

>click "choose file"
>paste URL instead a file on hard drive
>it uploads

Why are you so upset about file systems? Is it because the obscure inner workings of Darwin / BSD are all you have left after Apple slowly burned everything else to the ground in every update since Snow Leopard?

Are there better file managers on Linux than Caja?
You can't even move/rename files/create folders when you ctrl+o, and ctrl+f seems to inconsistently work.

btrfs works fine for me.

I use BtrFS on Linux and it works just fine, never had any issue of any kind. Supports COW and all the shit you stated in your outdated array.

and it's waaay faster than zfs, scales better, etc.

Is op a troll or just retarded? Almost everything he claims it false

I love IllumOS but there's very little reasons to use it over FreeBSD

>i'am mentally retarded, the post

Ubuntu™ installer comes with ZFS, so you can use Ubuntu™ with ZFS.

can someone give me the basic gestalt of freebsd?

What's wrong with ext4 other than lacking CoW?

\ (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

>up-to-date filesystem
yes other filesystems are unable to store timestamps, good one frend

Btrfs is a piece of shit lol. I'm all for ZFS alternatives, but btrfs is literal shit. Hopefully bcachefs gets somewhere because btrfs is doomed

Also a 100% proprietary filesystem

> For the fucking 1923912839812TH time.

> UBUNTU
> DOES
> NOT
> SHIP
> WITH
> ZFS

Are you actually retarded. Serious question.

wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Reference/ZFS
packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=zfs&searchon=names

Notice that they're still present in Universe for both Zesty (current release) and Artful (next release). Not to mention that I know people who work at Canonical, and they haven't mentioned any plans to stop distributing ZFS.

It would've taken you 5 minutes to search it up, why are you so fucking autistic.

MacOS. I am a Mac owner. Fucking bullshit system, everything is a bad dangerous hack on a bad dangerous hack.
HFS+ is a joke, always loosing permissions and needing filesystem repair.

>HFS2.0

And actually it's in the main repos for 16.10 and later (not just universe).

>Pretending it matters when gluster storage or object storage exist

Copy-on-Write, the basis of OP's non-argument.

>mac
>good filesystem
is this a joke?

>Suse
>Linux distro worth a shit

You poor lost soul

>HFS+ already is essentially HFS2.0.

>copy-on-write
Enjoy your wasted space OP.

you don't know what copy-on-write means or does

APFS is actually good. The only problem with it was the unicode normalization, and they fixed that already

>disk powers off before my COW flushes to disk
No wonder Btrfs and ZFS makes snapshots all the time, you guys must lost data all the time.

>disk powers off before my COW flushes to disk
Then you wouldn't lose any data because nothing has been overwritten

write caching isn't unique to CoW filesystems
besides, CoW has the advantage in this case anyway, as an incomplete write means the old data is still intact, as it wasn't overwriting the old data directly

>you wouldn't lose any data
What about the data you didn't flush because of COW's retardation?

COW flushes less often. Also, Why the fuck would I want COW if I don't want local backups? Good for a NAS but keep that shit away from my laptop.

>Mac OS
>Good Filesystem

Pick one.

>*BSD
This one is correct.

you are right, the osx file system cannot be beat!

>What about the data you didn't flush because of COW's retardation?

>disk loses power before writing data
>why don't I have this data?
Are you retarded?

>COW flushes less often.
"CoW" doesn't have anything to do with when or if writes are being cached or flushed, it's just a filesystem feature

btrfs is the best fs faggot.

>data loss is more likely with a FS than with another
>somehow a feature
Faggot, use it on your own machine. You're probably underaged brown people who think they use the "best" OS.

dataloss is harder to do with CoW, as you're not directly overwriting data

Wasted space.

Holy shit you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about

it doesn't waste space, a complete write causes the previous data to become available for use
you're only using additional space /during/ a write, not before or after
it's kind of like journaling, which some non-CoW filesystems have, only more integrated

>HFS2.0
>shat out by the same poo in loos that shat out HFS

Remember when that abrasive fat fuck Linus ranted about HFS+? Well, now the tables have turned. Now it's Linux that has the shittiest FS of them all.

Someone send Linus an email and ask him why Linux has the shittiest FS while macOS has the best.

TOPPEST OF KEKS!

see Send an email to that retard now and ask him why Linux has such a gigantic smelly piece of shit FS. Ask him why can't he code something as good. Ask him when he'll retire and join RMS at some retirement home.

even UFS isn't too bad

what's your excuse michaelsoft

>ufs
>lose power
>entire directories in lost + found after fsck

>still can't store databases or vm images
nice toy