Can I have 4TB of disk space in this thing?

can I have 4TB of disk space in this thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000LM024/dp/B01LZMUNGR
seagate.com/www-content/product-content/barracuda-senpai/barracuda-new/files/barracuda-2-5-ds1907-1-1609us.pdf
nucblog.net/2017/04/kaby-lake-i7-nuc-review/
intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178997
zotac.com/ro/product/mini_pcs/zbox-e-series/all
gigabyte.com.ro/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXi7G3-760-rev-10#ov
intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc7i7bnh-brief.html
a.co/aRIexom
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ask your local tech support

yes

amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000LM024/dp/B01LZMUNGR

fuck that's great, lad

seagate.com/www-content/product-content/barracuda-senpai/barracuda-new/files/barracuda-2-5-ds1907-1-1609us.pdf

5TB too

Is this the perfect machine?

You can do it with an HDD for $150 or a 4TB SSD would run you about $1500.

What is included in that box? CPU? Anything else? Can you upgrade it over time?

it's not bad but it's fucking overpriced like an apple product. it's literally only worth half its cost.

Jesus Christ seeing this makes me proud of how far personal computers have come over the last years. With this thing in mind, just think of all the 10/10 classified stuff that could be floating around tech/gov firms. It's a wonder we're not having space stations all over our solar system yet.

Everything is soldered

Its laptop hardware. Only RAM, Drives and maybe CPU can be exchanged.

for me it is. very small, silent and powerful.

it's a barebone, so everything is included except memory and storage

it supports notebook memory and m.2 ssds and the taller versions 2.5 hdds

it's basically a fucking laptop in the form of a small case and no built in display or keyboard

Only can upgrade RAM memory or storage capacity

nucblog.net/2017/04/kaby-lake-i7-nuc-review/

So you can't upgrade the CPU. I have a normal SSD in my PC right now. Can I use it in that thing?

Also
>Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNHX1 with 16 GB Intel® Optane™ Memory

What the hell is "Optane Memory"?

Google it faggot

> What the hell is "Optane Memory"?
intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-optane-technology.html

Something like SSD with even lower access latency.

Are you the same guy that was asking if an Intel nuc was ok to buy?

Optane is sort of a cross between RAM and an SSD. It has faster speeds than SSDs but it's more expensive per GB (though less $ than RAM per GB). And it's nonvolatile unlike RAM so you can shut off power and it'll still keep data stored like an SSD

>16GB
Too small. And ONLY m.2 SSDs? Why ...

Nope. When?

>ONLY m.2 SSDs?
You can probably put a 2.5 ssd in the talle version just fine, bu then where do you put the hdd?

Afaik it does have sata for normal HDDs/ssds

Does a PC with dedicated GPU exist in a similar form factor?

Exactly. You can't have both. I'm not excited anymore.

What's your problem with m.2? It doesn't cost more than a 2.5 (or at least not by much) and it's faster

> Too small.
It's almost certainly not supposed to replace bulk storage HDD or tape drives at this point.

This is for programs and databases and such. And you can fit a lot of that into xx GB. (For example, my current everyday file manager is around 4.5MB, the terminal is 95kb - including docs and all that - and I didn't really minimally install them).

Surely they'll also sell bigger drives eventually.

It's not any faster unless it's an NvME drive and they're certainly more expensive than their SATA counterparts

>bu then where do you put the hdd
USB is an option. You can get cases for 5x3.5" drives, which is 50TB if you want.

Or just on your network, you do have a certainly reasonably fast GBit Ethernet port.

I have actually been thinking.

What the fuck is the point of a full Desktop these days anyways? No need for a fucking Physical Drive Bay, just GPU, CPU, etc.

NUCs have no GPU. The internal GPU sucks balls.

Tower PCs are only for gamers these days. Those machines require decent cooling, a decent PSU with active cooling, a dedicated graphics card with cooling etc. Plus, you can squeeze in any number of HDDs if you want

Is that a gamecube?

> What the fuck is the point of a full Desktop these days anyways?
Of a desktop / server tower? That you can use fast parts, and mount a significant number of them (for example, 10 HDD and a big GPU, with all the power cables and all that). Both of which you can't do in a NUC.

these youngins don't appreciate it

I am speaking for general consumer/gaymer use.

Sure, many people are of course just fine with a smartphone in terms of processing power and storage and all that. They'll let others run entirely all the server they use.

Which is why they already primarily use such devices, yes.

And maybe more of them will switch to such Atom / ARM mini PC things - but actually, they generally aren't even looking to upgrade their old laptops, and will prefer a laptop all-in-one thing again IF they actually upgrade.

I have pic related and I want it to be even smaller

That said, gamers do NOT want to use these all in one media PC.

Obviously these small machines don't take the big CPU, big GPU, and their big coolers and power supplies. Nor are the parts on the mainboards etc. nearly as powerful.

It's surely often a bit of hobby vanity, but gamers DO tend to use pretty good hardware, particularly at the moment when they buy their PC it's usually good.

No problem if you don't need particularly much hardware.

There are TV box things with pretty decent i7 CPU and 8GB RAM and all that. And cheaper ones with Celerons or Atoms.

storage space is the problem

You can have a few TB of storage internally, which is often already enough.

If you have more, you can externalize to a NAS that then can be anywhere where it's not in the way.

Or an USB3 / SATA single or multi HDD dock / hotswap thing that you can use when you need it. But that tends to be less convenient on its own.

You could have TEN
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178997

They only fit 2.5" laptop hard drives so no you can't. You can fit 4 or 5 though.

I have an i5 one I use for Plex and play some RTS games on super low. It works fine.

still planing to buy intel nuc skull canyon

These things seem like an elegant way to set up a little home server. Anybody have much experience with NUCs in that kind of role?

With SSD gouging are mechanical drives relevant again?

I can play a few indie games on my Brix i3 (i3-4310U i think?) and those work perfectly fine,

I am leaning towards building an ITX APU system some time in the future however.

Someone tell me why Hybrid drives are bad

does anybody ever upgrade CPUs?
by the time I'm questioning the speed of my CPU, i generally upgrade to the next generation.
ram and hdd space is obvious.
you can double your ram and hdd space when you upgrade.
i don't see more than a 10% increase when upgrading a CPU.

HDDs were never not relevant if your desire is high capacity storage. SSDs did make them irrelevant for the drives you use for like the 90th percentile of your time, though. I'm thinking of getting a pair or two of 6TB drives in raid 1 for my bigger storage needs, and then keep my stuff I use all of the time in my SSDs.

There are some but they are expensive.

zotac.com/ro/product/mini_pcs/zbox-e-series/all
gigabyte.com.ro/Mini-PcBarebone/GB-BXi7G3-760-rev-10#ov

or Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK with external GPU via DisplayPort.

Me too. But even on a discount (it's already oldish) it's still expensive, about 6-700 bucks, excluding the RAM and SSD. So basically if you factor in RAM and SSD you're getting into 1k bucks territory, which is overpriced as fuck.

You can get a decent laptop for 1k. And you even have a display on it.

With a NUC, you still need other external stuff, display, keyboard, mouse.

I'm curious what is the real cost of the components. Since it's just a laptop CPU with integrated graphics, there's not much else that could cost as much on that board.

Could be that having DP, which is rare on htpcs, requires a license.

My friend has one of these sitting in my place for an offsite backup, has around 16tb i think in place

Personally, I'd rather have 1TB of data with 4x redundancy. But that's just me.

it's all the power of a laptop inside a 4x4x2 case
laptops= paying for portability
NUCs= paying for table space
just mount it to your monitors VESA connectors

Hol' up, not to your rain on your parade
But those drives are 15mm thick, and
>One SATA3 port for connection to 2.5" HDD or SSD (up to 9.5 mm thickness)
intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc7i7bnh-brief.html

AFAIK the largest 9.5mm thick 2.5" drive is 2TB.

you can get a decent laptop for under 300

if it's a 2.5" drive, sure.
currently got a 2tb 5400rpm 128mb cache Seagay hard drive from an old laptop, as well as a 250gb Samsung 850 in M.2 form factor. only have it as m.2 because got it for $30
shits pretty comfy desu

don't worry lads I have a quick, simple, and cheap solution to fit 4tb in this NUC here

a.co/aRIexom

You could build something a little bit larger with a faster pentium/i3/i5 with itx and sfx psu and htpc case at the same price of a mid range NUC.

Beekeeper here.
Can't even begin to tell you how confusing it was to keep hearing about all this Intel NUC shit when it first came out.