Are Americans and Canadians aware of how strong their accents are?

Are Americans and Canadians aware of how strong their accents are?

I was talking to someone from Toronto today and her accent was very weird and loud

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vxR6YPW24X0
youtube.com/watch?v=QgXVJJyzZ00
vocaroo.com/i/s0Zu6nkmiOOo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm aware that foreigners say I have one but Americans and even Leafs don't seem to notice.

Midwestern "no accent" American English.

American accent is quite similar to a gay Irish accent

T-Thanks.

I have the most neutral accent possible, having grown up in Chicago (and not in the south side as a dindu). A nice subset of Midwestern "no accent" American English.

I think I am a neutral subject because english is not my native language.

And brittish accent is the most strong accent in english. Things like scotts, who is not comprehensible, not counted.

American accent is notable, but way more natural than brittish english. Australian english sounds a bit brittish to me in the way it sounds, and I haven't heard any canadian yet.

So, for me, even thought schools teach us brittish english, American english is way better sounding and more natural than brittish english, who needs serious accent imitation before sounding like it.

If you hear an American accent in real life it sounds MUCH stronger than on tv or something

Why do so many English speakers think accents and dialects are the same thing?

>be from Halifax
>can switch between reasonably neutral English and completely incomprehensible to anyone born outside of Atlantic Canada at will
good feel

Based Spaniard

No, not necessarily. What you see on TV is called General American, and it is growing more and more and washing away regional accents. For instance, I come from a region that speaks General American, and so I sound like how the people do in American films.

Yeah this. Maybe it's because on TV so many American voices desensitizes you to it, but every time I talk to a seppo in New Zealand their accent is so jarring.

No I mean, on tv I can listen to an American accent and not be distracted or think much of it, but when I hear one in real life, it sounds so much more pronounced and loud.

The loud part is definitely true for many people, but 'pronounced' still ties back to what I originally said. There are many American dialects, and the people you were speaking to clearly did not speak General American. Just because you did not meet anyone that speaks General American in real life does not mean that it does not exist. That is like someone going London and concluding that RP is fake and that everyone actually speaks Cockney.

They were from Toronto

We're not and I wasn't until recently.

Canadian accent is strong and we frequently say 'eh' but it goes much deeper than that. It's most pronounced with working class folk, of course.

Pfffft I have no accent

Toronto is the most Americanized part of this country. Also, many of its citizens have mongrel accents due to living in different parts of the world during childhood.

t. immigrant in Toronto who was educated by RP-speaking teachers until age 9

*denizens

The accent I have when speaking English is completely fucked up because I switched so much in my mid-teens. I had a really authentic-sounding Irish accent at one point, had to change that because it was too hard to understand.

>yfw the british accent historically was actually used as mockery and eventually mistakenly became an accent

Ever wonder why when someone sings in english it always sounds like what an average American person would sound if they sung? For example Eric Clapton.

>post yfw your accent makes an aussie girl wet

>really authentic-sounding
I've heard this before and it's always been a let down when put to the test..

Chicago has an accent mate. Not the standard midwest either

There is no such thing as a "neutral" accent/dialect. Unless you're mute, that is.

>tfw I have no accent because I dictate the world's lingua franca (American English)
Always wondered what it'd be like though

Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but it was still pretty good.

Northern California "no accent" American English here.

Hey Halifax-user do all Atlantic Canadians say Lord Tunderin Jaysus or is that just the Newfies?

>Watch American média
>understand everything
>Speak to an American in real life
Yowatupniggamodafakasunuvabitch haw ya dayin fuggetsunuvabitch

Greatest ally

you only think that because of non-trilled rhoticism
other than that theres little similarity
far more ulster scots and english influence
also the rhoticism is because american colonials arrived before rhoticism became the norm in england

This holy shit this. It seems like I can hear an American from across the street because of how jarring and ridiculous their irl accents are. Tey sound like parodies

>Lord Tunderin Jaysus
thats a very irish sounding expression, jaysus in particular
never heard anyone say this in particular but it certainly wouldnt be out of place
i wonder if newfies say janey mack

Midwesterners add a nasal dumb Sarah palin-sounding ee before a like in at. I had an Econ teacher from Cleveland and he would say "for exeeample" so many times.

Why are London accents so FUCKING disgusting? Does nobody on this piece of shit island actually speak proper English?

t. mad foreigner who knows how to properly conjugate the word 'was'

where are you from?

Americans stop pronouncing r's like British when they sing

>Eric Clapton
>Clap
I would be more surprised if he didn't sound American

Hearing any accent irl is different to hearing it on television

Canadian metropolises have no accents

this is complete bullshit
americans dont ever become non rhotic when singing

ye have american accents

>no accents
What does that even mean? Literally every way people speak is a form of accent.

retards think that because they sound neutral in their heads they have no accents
that just means you speak with the prestige dialect, not that youre neutral

R only stays if it's the first letter of a word or the last letter and the next word starts with a vowel, unless you're listening to Bruce Springsteen or faggot hipster

I have exactly this as well, I'm from NB

General American is essentially accentless

So it's "Ame'ica fuck yeah!" and "Eve'ybody clap you' hands"? Sounds awfully Asian tbqh.

"Clap yo hands" is definitely how they sing it

>tfw Atlantic Canada has the most un-north american accents in the continent
wew
youtube.com/watch?v=vxR6YPW24X0

I always get embarrassed when I'm abroad and people don't understand me because I mash words together. For example, "what are you doing?" would be "whattayadoin". I need to practice talking slower tb h

Thats how they sound desu

It's not though, there is no such thing as an accentless voice, you just think there is because you're a window licking wannabe yank cunt

No it's not you meme country. The closest you guys even have to a standard accent is America-kun's broadcast standard Colorado accent

>accentless
That's like asking what happened before time. It's nonsensical.

I don't know if it's hard to hear due to having such a linguistically distant native tongue or what, but they do pronounce r's.

all these
>i have no accent
Am i being memed? Is this a meme?
everyone by definition has an accent. An accent is just how you pronounce your words. RP is an accent, Transatlantic is an accent, general american is an accent.

Atlantic Canadian accent is best accent t.bh

>tfw I refer to everyone and always end my sentences in "bud"
>tfw I say shit twice like "yeah yeah" or "no no"

Also how do europeans react when they hear blacks speaking in ebonics? I grew up in a majority black town so it doesn't bother me that much.

You're just cucked by America-kun. Maybe there are more places where rhotic r is pronounced, but most are still not pronounced.

"You dunno ye beautiful"
"I never wanned to stad a war"
"Baby I was bon this way"

youtube.com/watch?v=QgXVJJyzZ00

Ignore the content of this discussion, but this vid proves trans-atlantic accents are literally god-tier.

the standard American accent is known for it's pronounced r's what are you talking about

yanks and canadians sound exactly the same

Yes, but when you sing, you don't pronounce many r's. Spoken American is different then sung american

>yfw Americans say "erb" instead of "herb".

That depends on a lot of things. Each country has several accents, just in my area of Northern New England and Atlantic Canada I can think of like 10

There is a general North American accent (sometimes called broadcast) that's found throughout Canada and the U.S., but there are dozens of accents unique to their sometimes tiny region.

i think the general one people refer to would be the great lakes accent

I mentioned this in a thread yesterday but from manitober to bc we all sound the same or similar. Ontario is a mix, and the maritimers are they're own breed.

Yeah, the farther west you go the more watered down and ubiquitous the accents become.

>ee before at
Fucking what?

You're retarded. Not only do you think Americans don't pronounce rs, but you also think this.

he's right but messing up phonological spelling.
Example in a posh english accent is said with the middle a to rhyme with the a in barb or arse.
It rhymes with spam of ham in most northern accents.
In some american accents the throat closes on the short a and it is pronounced nasally instead, and comes out like a mix between a long e and open "ah" sound. It also sounds like absolute shit, re-introducing nasal sounds into the English phonology is the worst thing the colonies have ever done.

If you're having trouble hearing the differences, hold your hand to your throat and feel the different ways your throat and jaws move as you says the different sounds and it becomes pretty apparent.

Canadians prounounce vowels a bit differently
Canadian pronunciation of "about" being the most obvious

>OI YA CUNT HAVE A LOOK AND THIS DOGGLES BOGGLE BE NICKERS DEM BE SOME RIGHTEOUS MATES THEA AVIN DEM SNIGGLES AND NICCAS

You what now?

No, you say it like "HUUUWB."

>tfw surfer dude accent
>tfw no one can take me seriously ever

We, on the other hand know the difference.

Unless it's between like Montana and Alberta. Then it's almost exactly the same because northern Montanans sound extremely similar and vice-versa.

>tfw your shithead meme

Are Brits aware of how stupid they look on the international stage after voting to "take their country back"?

>the you don't have an accent
:(

Shut up.

If you keep talking they could reverse it and then we can't give them shit anymore.

It's weird, but but I've listened to so many Australians and Brits speak that I don't even notice their accents anymore. I used to be able to differentiate between Canadian, Australian, and British accents but now I bearly even notice their accent.

I'm the opposite. I've been to the UK enough times that I can nearly pin-point what part of England they're from. For example, my friends thought some guy at the bar the other day was Irish but I'm like "nope that's Northern England."

Some girl went up and asked if he was Irish and nope, north England aka Umbria.

It's the defining feature of the Inland North (Great Lakes) accent, and North Central (Upper Midwest) speakers do it too.

I'm from the north suburbs.
I used to think the same thing, but I've come to realize we really don't have the "standard" newscaster accent.

No they do not.

Yes they do. The Inland North speakers also notorious among linguists for how unaware of their accents they are.

He's right.

I'm from Montana and I dated a girl from Saskatchewan. The accents are basically identical.

British english is objective the best, and is the strongest accent. But if you want to sound as one, you'll end up sounding pretentious as fuck.

American english just sound retarded, but it's the only acceptable accent to foreigners to imitate.

t. Another neutral subject

No they don't you fucking retards. I've spent time all over the Midwest as well as on the east coast and literally no one I have ever talked to has said anything like "exeeample" or sounded like Sarah Palin.

I live in Chicago and I hear it all the time.

Oh, so you're not actually from a place where you constantly interact with Canadians.

That's OK, guess you don't really know then. Take the time to live in a place to understand it rather than judging it by I "spent time" there.

No you don't.

We're not talking about Canadians you dumb mong. We're talking about some English teacher weeaboo saying Midwestern accents are characterized by putting ee before at sounds.

It's a well documented phenomenon in the Great Lakes, and the first step in the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.

Go watch those "Accent Tag" videos on YouTube, and a lot of the people from Chicago or Michigan will pronounce the word "aunt" like "iant"

>Aunt like iant
Confirmed for never set foot inside the Midwest.

You will here aunt or ant. You will never hear "iant."

vocaroo.com/i/s0Zu6nkmiOOo

Aunt, ant, iant.

the only place here where people sound like poms is South Australia and that's just general English one.

You will never hear the third one.

Don't know of anybody who does that desu.
I think it's an Idaho and Montana thing my Nip friend.