Remote vs Office

What would you pick?

I have an offer from a very well known company that would make my CV look impressive and offer great training. However the commute is long and I know I'd leave eventually. If I were to join it would only be to put it on my CV and being able to show off.

I also have offers from remote companies. Remote is my ultimate dream as I fucking hate commuting and in-person workplace culture. I also want to be free to travel and my colleagues would be likeminded. However, it's a startup and they're more likely to fail or kick me out. As a junior dev, training probably wouldn't be as extensive, or nonexistent. I worked for a startup a few months ago and it ended awfully.

What would you do, Sup Forums?

tl;dr:
>world renowned company, lots of training and less likely of being replaced or kicked out as a junior dev
>remote company, no commute and free to travel extensively. Ultimate dream, but more risky and less training.

Wagecuck

Trying to get out of it man. Remote feels less like wagecuckery + I have more time to work on my side shit but it's riskier. Being fired would be even worse. Hence my dilemma

as someone who faces this issue daily i must with a heavy heart say wagecuck. just do everything you can to make it as painless as possible by reducing commute times and have 1 day of work from home

>known company

Remote isn't that great as a software developer.
Doing all the communication over IRC/VoIP doesn't replace conversations in person even for an introvert like you.

LET STARTUPS DIE.

Go for the one that will help you more in the long run. It will look good on your CV because you most likely will learn/grow more there. Remote also isn't as ideal when you're starting out because it's harder to pick stuff up through "osmosis."

If you take the better looking option now, you'll have more freedom to work remote later in your career.

I work remotely and it's so much better than commuting to work every day.
You don't realize how baller it is to be able to wake up at 8 instead of 6 and be able to relax at home before you start working.
The money you save in commute and eating out is also great.

I ended up moving back with my parents so I can save all my money and eventually buy a house instead of having to rent.

Yeah this is why I'm leaning towards remote. I'd be able to save money and invest it in real estate to eventually just stop wagecucking. The option to travel would let me explore more opportunities.

How difficult is it to communicate with your team? I'm involved in a few remote projects but not for a company, so I don't know what it's like.

man fuck off

Why are you so touchy? Because you're stuck as an office slave?

It's not hard at all to communicate, we have daily meetings at 10:30 over Microsoft Teams, we use Teams to share all messages and momentary things. For more serious stuff we use emails or phone calls. Our boss sends us emails. Every week we do an actual on site meeting at the office, on fridays, because it's good to do that on the regular.

Before settling for Microsoft Teams we tried other things, but non were as convenient and easy to use. We use the whole Office suit so we also use Planner, etc.

What's the problem?

My personal pref is to work remotely, but go into the office once or twice a week. Skype is nice, but skype isn't the same as in person.

Why not ask the commute company if there is a chance in the future of doing that? You would get the best of both worlds.

Remember though, you should be looking for a career and not a job. The difference between the two is that a job becomes a career when you don't have to force yourself out of bed everyday. There is a reason well known companies are well known. There must be a reason people like working for them.

Trust me. If you pick the commuter, even if no work from home, and it turns into a career, the commute time won't bother you.

Good points.

The company is probably great to work for, but it's the environment too. I really really dislike the country I'm in (and that's sugar coating it). I want to get out of here and this company doesn't offer that opportunity.

It varies wildly. The remote user is talking about a better case. Since it's a startup, there's a good chance they won't really know how to do remote well. They're probably just doing it because they can't afford the office space yet, not because it's what they want. You might be expected to go into the office after it grows some more.

Also, I can't tell you how many times I learned new things by overhearing a couple senior engineers discuss something interesting and then walking over to participate in that conversation. If the wagecuck company seems like an environment where you could do that, then that's a huge advantage.

It's completely remote, their employees are across the whole world not just my town/country. They also note that they're remote because it's part of their goal and they hate commutes. Could be just lying, but their Instagram is full of their employees traveling the world and shit

>make my CV look impressive
>offer great training
>only be to put it on my CV and being able to show off

If you're just trying to optimize for the best-looking CV, then you need to get your head on straight. The CV just gets you in the door. You should choose on the basis of what will help you grow more. There is no substitute for being a great dev/engineer.

At this point in your career, throw all that other shit out the window and focus on your own growth. You could probably just flip a coin and be happy at this point, but try to think about where you'll grow more.

This makes things a bit more complicated. If you work for the big company, the CV actually might matter if you're trying to emigrate to another country. The other job will help you travel, but that is only a temporary escape. A startup won't look as legit on your immigration papers, I imagine.

good point about the CV. after all I did get given a chance even though i have very little experience.

>where you'll grow more
as a person, in the remote job.
in my career, at the other company. though I have a whole course I follow to become a senior developer, and i could probably get there myself.

>A startup won't look as legit on your immigration papers, I imagine.
Very true. But my goal is to travel around without settling down yet. I'll always be able to live with my parents if I need a permanent home base. Immigrating fully would be in the future when I do have more experience and a better CV.

>>>/kys/

Salty NEET detected.

Lol, why /biz/?

Humans are social creatures and need some level of human-human interaction to stay sane and normal.
I strongly suggest working on-location, but with the option to work remotely (for days when you just don't feel like going in, you're sick, have some engagement, etc.)

Most companies have a VPN and offer company laptops, so you can work remotely on occasion.

Ask them if remote (on occasion) is possible.

It depends on you and the company. If you can work independently without constantly consulting rest of your team and company expects it from its devs, I think pick remote. Otherwise, it's gonna be a shitshow of incompetency and miscommunication.

Take the job that will benefit you more in the long run. If you're concerned about the commute draining you then try set up a daily routine around the new job so you have enough time in the morning to get into work with as little stress as possible.

Don't underestimate how important it is to have a face to face relationship with your colleagues. It helps matters immensely