/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

inlandempire.craigslist.org/sys/6245507086.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

To the user who offered me the solution "\xdf" to my lcd display problem a few days ago.

Thank you. It worked perfectly.

I've got a WRT54G (v4) which I'm only going to use as a wireless router. ISP modem is great and has 5GHz wireless, but only 1 computer LAN port and three other TV LAN ports which for whatever reason don't work over local network (probably because it doesn't support local network period), which is necessary in my case.

Should I use some freetard free as in freedom fimware or is Linksys's firmware good enough?

I recently got a Galaxy S8 as an upgrade deal to replace my old iPhone 5. Now that I'm finally on a non shit OS, how do I customize it so it's not fugly and clunky as shit?

Mainly I really want to completely remove Bixby and Google Assistant.

>use as a wireless router.
Dammit, I mean as a wired router.

If all you want to do is increase the number of LAN ports, you can get a switch. But if you really want to use the Linksys then go for it. The firmware it's got is fine for basic switching.

I'm trying to cross compile a rust program from Ubuntu 17.04 to windows 10. I managed to compile a simple "hello world" program but not one full of dependencies. I'm linking with x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc but it seems to be missing some libraries. It says:
/usr/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld: cannot find -lAdvapi32
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

Has anyone here done something like this?

You're gonna want to flash a custom ROM. Check the XDA Forums' Galaxy S8 Android Development section.

What is the deal with the CIA/NSA and consumer processors? I know they put in some backdoors, but does that basically mean that they can monitor everything you do even if you are running secure OS/software? Is there a date that this all started? Have the manufacturers responded to this at all?

Excellent video Pajeet

Re-asking from old thread:
Anyone know this font?

It's probably looking inside /lib for windows specific library files, I'd say to try and get the library files you need, from sys32 or whatever, and put them inside the local directory, then add -L$(pwd), or equivalent, to your build command

I'm going to go for dd-wrt since the linksys firmware doesn't have an option for static ip leases.

Does a passkey generator exist for the MSDT?

Is h265 a meme? What advantages does it have over h264 10-bit?

So my university library have iMacs with really fast internet but I cant install anything in it. How do I torrent?

Portable executable on a flash drive?

Where does Sup Forums X store its settings? Even after clearing all browser data my settings persist.

im installing itunes (thanks for any concern that might be offered but i'm happy to keep using itunes, at least for now) on a new laptop and im at the stage of selecting a destination folder
i keep all my music on an external harddrive (in an auto-generated itunes folder), so should i (or even can i) choose this external harddrive to be the installation destination folder?
thanks

are you underage

Damn, that was easy. Took a while though.

4chanX has a reset settings button in the top of the settings menu

what are the prereqs to read Intel Software Developer's Manual and all its references?

Are there any good disk partitioning programs for windows? They all seem shady as fuck. I just want to shrink my main drive, but windows is being retarded and claims I can't do it because of immovable files.

Not exactly tech, but I figure I'd get a better understanding here from someone who understands 3D engines and stuff than on Sup Forums. Can someone explain why my framerate in CSGO shits the bed if I increase my FOV?

CSGO doesn't have a FOV slider, so you have to manipulate it by changing the aspect ratio of your resolution. If I go from 16:9 to 16:8ish (2560x1440 to 3072x1440), my framerate turns to total dogshit and the game actually isn't even playable on some maps because my framerate is so low. It's not a GPU limitation because I have a 1080Ti and GPU usage is barely above 20%. In some cases my FPS goes from like 180 to 100.

Whats the deal? Is it because when you have a wider FOV there are more objects on the screen that the CPU has to deal with, or something like that? Is there anything I can do about it short of waiting for better CPUs?

I have 4 domains hosted with godaddy. I have cPanel for linux and I am trying to make websites that kinda look like the newyorkpost.com

What should I use to give my website a nice interface? Should I code HTML files and upload them or is there better softwares that have less coding and more interface addons?

I am using cPanel for linux.

You're kinda right, a higher fov does mean more objects to draw, whichs means more processing/rendering time per frame. What you might be experiencing though is just a quirk of GPUs in general in that they are really designed and optimised to produce graphics at certain resolutions (and aspect ratios). But to say for sure you'd have to run it in a debugger or a profiler to see where the bottlenecks are.

>Is it because when you have a wider FOV there are more objects on the screen that the CPU has to deal with
yes
things that aren't on screen at any particular time don't need to be drawn/animated, sometimes even physics may be skipped or simplified for them

"stepping back" to get more things onto the screen is one way to slow down a game, but games account for this by lowering the quality of objects further away from you

but with a wider fov, this doesn't happen, as the distance from objects doesn't change, so this might have a larger impact on performance

Lots of initiative, patience and free time

it might not be very apparent just how much more of an area the game needs to consider with relatively small fov adjustments

Do macs have portable executable torrent clients? I tried searching but didn't find any

ty anons, guess I'll buy me a i7 coffee lake when they come out

How do I scan my LAN to find IPs of devices?

4K 100Hz+ non-TN 30"+ monitors when? I want to move to 4K but I don't really think it's worth it at 27", the current standard size for a 'big' monitor.

What cooling would you guys recommend for 6700k, current one is barely keeping up with stock clocks.

If I use cpu onboard graphics instead of a dedicated gpu will there be a significant or at least noticable performance drop during general use
web browing, video playblack, navigating explorer etc.?

Win 10 64bit

What do you consider 'barely keeping up'? Unless its getting hot enough to downclock don't worry too much about it, unless you mean you need more thermal headroom to overclock.

The NHD15 and Phanteks PCHwhateverthefuck are both pretty good. You might just have gotten a shitty application of TIM though and need to delid, I dropped more than 30C after delidding.

Alright. I have a drive with some fucked up sectors or something. It works for the most part but hangs indefinitely when trying to access certain files.

Here's the issue: I'm trying to install a linux (xubuntu) on a different drive (one that isn't fucked up), but when I run any kind of disk utility like gparted they get stuck on trying to scan the broken drive. My xubuntu installer also gets stuck, I assume it's for the same reason.

So, how can I install xubuntu to /dev/sdc without having to touch /dev/sdb?

no (its even worse; i'm simply incompetent)
could you help me anyway
from that response i'm guessing you just cant install programs on a harddrive? you need all the other things that only a computer/laptop has
could you confirm/deny this though please

is a 600 watt EVGA Bronze 80+ PSU enough to run all of this stuff?

if so, why does my computer keep turning off while gaming/under load

faulty PSU?

Just give it a go, itunes will only work with that drive plugged in though, if it doesn't work anyway for whatever reason just reinstall itunes on to the internal hdd

It should run that easily, you're probably pulling 400 from the wall, tops.

>why does my computer keep turning off while gaming/under load
I had this issue and for the longest time I thought it was my GPU dying, turned out the PSU was toast. If possible try another PSU if you have one spare or one you can borrow, or just try your luck and RMA it.

ok, will do, cheers

It depends more on your CPU not on your OS, if you have a relatively decent CPU then only using onboard graphics will be fine for just web browsing and video playback, you might notice some slight hesitations but not many

I have another PSU I'm about to try. I wanted user opinions before I went thru the trouble of swapping PSU's from one computer to another

Why not just unplug the bad drive then install xubuntu?

You're better off swapping the psu first before trying anything, crashes under load are usually the PSUs fault

thanks. gonna swap it now

Yeah I decided to just unplug it, install, and plug it back in. It worked.

So I downloaded a TV series and each episode is in its own directory. What's a one liner that'll move all the AVIs into the parent directory.

If you're on windows just search for *.avi and then move the files to one directory

I'm no using Windows you fucking asshole, do I look like a degenerate to you?

If you don't use Windows and don't know how to do this, you are a hipster degenerate.

Or I just don't know how to do it.

is there any program to burn into cd a linux installation?Bc my mobo doesn't support booting from usb or smtn

inlandempire.craigslist.org/sys/6245507086.html
should i gwet this or not

Mac user detected

I've been using Linux for almost a decade as well but I currently am using OS X.

Make the pc on pcpartpicker.com and see what its worth. Also

Is it a good idea if i add a single 8gig
to my current dual channel ( 2 x 4gigs ) ?
asking because i found one for 50 bucks

>I've been using Linux for almost a decade
>can't use the mv command with wildcards
You're not fooling anyone

I'm not trying to fool anyone, I'm telling you facts. Whether or not you choose to believe them is your own choice. I'm not here to discuss my OS experience though. Either answer the damned question or move along.

Dumb question here, is something like webm related possible?
Just a exe file that puts a given input into a defined output?

Not an exce but a batch script can do that

do you know for what i have to search to find more info on stuff like that?

"drag and drop batch script webm"
first link

>Main PC is connected to router.
>Router is connected to modem.
>Both router and modem supply DHCP

How do I access network devices connected to the modem from one connected to the router, and vice versa?

Is Armhf architecture any different than armv7-a?

or more specifically, if i have a device that says it uses armv7-a architecture, should software compiled in armhf architecture be compatible?

disable dhcp

This is whats going on: NAT.
the router is providing nat to devices behind it as is the modem.

You need to configure the router to allow port forwarding to specific devices and ports that you are trying to access.

OR

Configure the router to dnat on both sides of its interfaces (if this is possible) and then configure each pc or device's routing tables to use the router as the path to the other network

OR

use only a single device to perform NAT and dhcp functions

I wish it were that simple, you apparently can't disable DHCP (enable bridge mode) in the VZW actiontec router if you also have cable service, it just disables my internet entirely.

I could just port forward my FTP and access my drive that way, but I'd rather keep it internal and not open shit if I don't have to.

your going to have to port forward.

for some added security use a non traditional port. have it forward port 60000 on public side to ftp on private side.

that will keep out 99% of the ftp bots

You are wanting to be able to access devices on the private side from the public side.

this necessarily involves 'opening shit'

how did you think you could access something on the private side from the public side without opening anything up?

Why can't I install the Chromium webbrowser on Debian 9?

sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

What am I doing wrong? All I get is [codeE: Unable to locate package chromium-browser

Is it not in the Debian repositories?

Also, why doesn't Debian 9 come with ifconfig but does come with ping? What's up with that?

try
apt-cache search chromium | grep -i chromium

Thank you anons. I will look into DNAT and try to figure something out, but I will just port forward in the mean time.

just so you know, doing dnat on both sides is less secure than port forwarding.

anyone who tries to access an ip address on the private side from public will be able to.

it will basically perform the same routing that a router does on private-to-public but in reverse as well.

only do this is the public side of your router is another trusted network (i.e. in your house)

it gives me the following
chromium - web browser
chromium-driver - web browser - WebDriver support
chromium-l10n - web browser - language packs
chromium-shell - web browser - minimal shell

To add context, I am posting on another computer because I don't seem to have a browser installed on the one I wish to install Chromium onto.

Those are the packages it found in the repo
I would try
sudo apt-get install chromium

Now I know that my packages are broken.

I didn't, but that seems to be the easiest way to get a mappable network address to the drive, considering I have two DHCP providers.

If I had it my way, you would ONLY be able to access internally, I don't have anything I'd need to access when not home.

Although now that I think about it, I'm still a fucking retard, and I'll just bridge mode the Netgear assuming that's possible.

So your router is connected to the modem via its WAN port, I take it? If not you'd have 2 conflicting DHCP servers on the same network, I guess that's not the case.

You have 2 separate LANs in that case, one is the modem's and the other is your router's. Devices behind the router should be able to connect to shit behind the modem, but not the other way around unless you port forward on your router. If you want something to be accessible online from behind the router you'd need to port forward both on the router and on the modem.

That network setup doesn't sound ideal for a simple home network to me, I'd try to get rid of a DHCP server and have everything in a single LAN, that way all devices will have access to everything else and you only have to port forward on the modem for access from the internet. The simplest way to do that if you cannot set your modem into bridge mode (which would be ideal) is to disable DHCP on your router and connect it to the modem through a LAN port instead of through its WAN port. That way you'd basically be using the router as a sort of switch/AP hybrid.

try
sudo apt-get update

to refresh packages

should be possible to bridge your router to the modem, and that should work as well

What kind of hosting service I'd go to if I wanted shell access to Off-site VMs?

For web hosting small resume website among other things. I'd run out of my home but after moving to a new place I'm stuck with DSL for a while.

Anyone know why rocket league crashes windows? I have an i5 4960k clocked to 4.4(stable), a 970, Windows 10.

I mean, what the fuck? There's like 100 solutions and none of them have worked yet.

I still am unable to install the chromium package as it complains it is unable to correct the problems as I apparently have held broken packages.

Update drivers?

I'm so confused, not a tech related question. A person called me and they had the wrong number. I informed them of this. I simply told him "Sir, I'm sorry you have the wrong number." He was then like "Okay, I'm looking for some hotel" (I couldn't really tell what he said aside from hotel), and I said "Sir, I am not an employee at any hotel. I cannot help you." His response "Fuck you kid. You're a piece of shit." Then he hung up. I'm so confused.

Additionally, maybe something running VCenter so I could dynamically create and remove VMs as I'd want. I don't know if such a thing would exist, but I'd be interested to know if it did.

Well I'm stupid, I forgot my question. What did I do to piss this guy off?

I've run
sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get update

and it still claims I have broken packages. I went into synaptic and tried Edit > Clear Broken Packages and it still does not work.

Not sure. My guess is that they thought you sounded like someone they knew.

what's a decent free vpn? every one i've tried is shit and i'm tired of reading articles on it

I have a S8+ and when I screenshot it captures a 16:9 instead of a 18.5:9. Any fixes?

Hola is the only one I can think of.

ok so like it's chill for torrenting? it looks like it only covers the browser

For torrenting you'd need a full VPN, and one that preferably doesn't keep logs. You'd have to pay for that sadly since there is demand for services like that.

Any kind of VPS should work.

>so I could dynamically create and remove VMs as I'd want.

Digital ocean has a nice interface for something like this and even and API. But they are expensive $5/Month for the cheapest VPS.

in VBA can I assign a thingo as a variable so that it is reassigned on every call?

basically if I have 'Cells(x,y).value' used multiple times, I'd rather have 'tmp' which does the same thing every time I call it

because I want to just update the original assign of 'tmp = Cells(x,y).value' in case the cell changes (like a row inserted or something) and its referenced multiple times in the code

there is surely a simple way but I can't get my head around it

word, so what's the best way to stay lowkey then with a torrent client?