I remember back in 2012 Linux had less than 1% of desktop OS market share. Now it's 2.53%

I remember back in 2012 Linux had less than 1% of desktop OS market share. Now it's 2.53%.

What happened?

It was 2% in 2016.

Systemd

I remember playing snake on my tracfone and saving up for a palm thats thicker than your dick

What happened?

Considering Linux owns embedded and owns mobile, the only thing left is the desktop.

you forgot supercomputer, mainframe, distributed, cluster and cloud computing as well as server market

>2.53%

Which will never happen desu

Windows 10 being shit, ChromeOS being distributed to normies, SteamOS being sold to the few thousand gaymurs.
Hopefully GNU will reach at least 5% market share in the next 4 years.

that's over 50 million desktops, satya

nice try though

so what? still 2.53%

So what? Still tens of millions of desktop installs.

no need to get all nutella on me now, satya

Linux still only has 1%.
GNU accounts for the increase.
More GNU = better desktop.
Thanks GNU.

That's over 1/3rd of Apple's marketshare.
Nice try though!

Back to fractional economics!

It's because ChromeOS, but is ChromeOS GNU/Linux or a different OS with the Linux kernel like Android?

It's a modified gentoo.

YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

It's GNU/Linux

the kernel does, the *linux* OS are shit. Takes proprietary work on the linux kernel to make a usable OS.

But the android userland is completely usable with no proprietary additions

>according to the chart, linux/apple = 2.53/3.52 = 0.7
Yeah, it is over 1/3 of Apple's marketshare. It's also over 70%, on desktop. Even if you say that all operating systems under "other" are old Mac versions Linux still not under 35% of Apple's userbase.
Considering how close it is to Macs, why isn't more software developed or ported to GNU? It's actually possible for GNU to surpass Macs soon. And Linux as a platform isn't as restricted as MacOS. Why are companies not exploiting this and making more software for Linux?

It's Linux kernel, with chrome as it's DE. It's based on Gentoo (not even memeing). But they restricted it a lot. Kinda like how north Korea took Fedora Linux and made a locked down version of it (RedStar OS, I think).

Isn't ChromiumOS still a thing?

Windows 10.

come on now, it can't be that bad, can it? i mean why would normies give a fuck if microsoft is spying on their shit?

It's not just that. The OS feels like it is in alpha state. Things get broken all the time.

>cloud computing as well as server

because freetards won't use their shit as they'll demand it be made open sores

Because spying services use resources. Too many resources are wasted for useless services. It downloads fucking candy crush and Minecraft in the background without asking you. It downloads updates automatically by default. The OS is basically bloated as fuck even though it had the potential to be the best performing version of windows.
It wouldn't be half as bad if Microsoft wasn't a shit company that ruins every product they have.

"Freetards" make up less than a fifth of Linux users. Nobody gives a fuck about non-essential software like games and media studios being close sourced. It's the vital OS components that matter.

This and this.

>Mainframe, cloud, server
Unemployed retaed

if it were economically viable as you say to port software to gahnoo loonix then they would do it

clearly it is not

>It downloads fucking candy crush and Minecraft in the background without asking you
I see this posted on Sup Forums a lot but it never happened to me or anyone I know and I've been using it since it came out. At this point I'm convinced it's either a meme or it just doesn't happen on European versions of Win10.

>It downloads updates automatically by default
It's designed for normalfags, so everything is enabled by default and it's up to powerusers to disable what they don't want. If it was disabled by default no normalfag would enable it and then you have all that bullshit from the past where millions of computers get raped by some worm that uses an exploit that was patched weeks/months/years ago.

More like 10 million virtual machines retard

Does Ubuntu on Windows 10 count?

At that rate linux will be 50% of the market share in 975 years

Android

You'd have to go through a lot of unnecessary trouble to get a browser running in X11 on windows and get tracked by this poll for ubuntu on windows 10 to count.

Desktop share doesn't count android. Android has over half of the phone share anyway. And development for android isn't really compatible with desktop linux development because most of the technology is different.

When every year is the year of Linux, you're bound to gain some market share.

>You can disable all of this in the registery, including cortana

>that's over 50 million VMs with less than 10 minutes of usage each, satya

That's over 50 millions distros with 4 hours of usage each (before another distro hop), satya

Consumers stopped buying desktops. This is purely a denominator effect.

laptops count too

also ChromeOS happened, and a lot of children have it.

Intelligence is increasing. Humankind is advancing.

>after 20 quarters of decline

ChromeOS

5% when?

nothing! its all fake
it should be up to 67%, i use my Canon as a fucking desktop and it doesn't figure in this statics