/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vh8F-r25TWc
kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1289331241&requestSource=b
m.ebay.com/itm/272799340730?_mwBanner=1
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-14-refurbished-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-black/5513900.p?skuId=5513900&productCategoryId=
bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=5784703,5514209&productString=*&url=/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=lenovo+thinkpad
amazon.com/dp/B01LXCLDRI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_b4LKzbPVACXDQ
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-460-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-180gb-solid-state-drive-black/5655145.p?skuId=5655145
ebay.com/itm/like/222600233944?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=222600233944&rmvSB=true
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just bought a x60, what is the ultimate setup? distro, win manager, etc. ?

Anything with i3 is fine

heard good things about parabola + i3

Fourth for T430 is super comfy and I don't know why I didn't buy it sooner.

muh thinkpad x220
total cost $49.00 USD
wifi card $4.75 USD
256gb SSD (don't remember the cost, have i laying around the house)

did you do anything to it?

I have a t430 also and i just hate the 1366x768 tn... awful. anyone did the alienware 14x mod?

It's definitely super comfy, especially with a classic keyboard. I wish the screen were better but it's good enough for me.

My t430 with the shifty display.

So i plan on upgrading my T440p from the current 1366x768 display to a FHD IPS one but just noticed that my current setup uses eDP one lane and the new screen uses eDP two lanes, do i need to change the cable too or something?

holy fuck that is an ugly laptop. Just get a laptop already.

>Winblows 10

This thread has been blessed by Outlaw "Kevin" MacGillycuddy, Bearer of the Thinkpad.

...and why are you in /tpg/?

I put in an SSD to replace the HDD it came with. I might upgrade the RAM to 8Gb but probably won't because 4Gb is enough for my needs. I will buy an ultrabay caddy to expand the storage. I was going to replace the keyboard, wasn't sure how I'd like the chiclet, but the keyboard is great. I'd say it's better than the non-chiclet on my old Latitude.

I have a 1600x900 screen.

The screen is a massive improvement from the Latitude I had, which was 1366x768.

Thinkpad T510 reporting in. Found a used T510 on Kijiji that was in excellent condition for $50 CAD. Bought it and swapped used the keyboard, disk drive, heat sink, trackpad and bezel and a battery that lasts 2+hrs on Sup Forums.

My T510 is the i7 quadcore M620, 6GB, 256GB SSD and Nvidia NVS 3100M 3GB GPU. God tier laptop.

The 1600x900 tn is awful as well... i know this because i have a t420 that has the 1600x900.

Think I'm gonna buy the P71 with a P3000 just to play Overrwatch nd shiet

Model: 20AWS37D00 ThinkPad T440p
WM: i3
Terminal: terminator
CPU: Intel i7-4710MQ (8) @ 3.500GHz
GPU: Intel Haswell Mobile
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M
Memory: 2773MiB / 15930MiB

Third new battery in the mail for my X200! Thanks Lelnono and your recalls that are easily exploited!

Also came in the mail was my case stickers! Woo!

It's not great, but as I said, it's a significant improvement over what I had.

ewl jap keyboard has iso enter key

you may give it to me

what can I put in a slot like this for my x61

one of these

Anybody here experiment with solar chargers before?
I might find myself /out/ a lot next year and living in a cabin/campsite is a possibility. The plan is to have my X230 with me to keep busy and do some paperwork. With the 9cell battery (and a spare) that should be good to spend an hour each night before having to top off the batteries. I'll bring a loaded e-reader too but thought it'd be neat to download a bunch of PDF's, articles and Wikipedia pages and junk for when there's no internet. Obviously will load some movies too.

What do guys think of t450?
Is improvement over t420/t430?

T450s is.

elaborate..

Getting 2 T40s tomorrow. What am I in for? Guy says both work but from what he told me I sense that the CMOS could be dead in one and the other's screen 'keeps flickering'. For 18$ for both, I'm excited, but is there anything too 'blast-from-the-past-y'? IDE drive? some extraterrestrial connectors?

Thanks!

Just got the T470 and it won't even charge, shit the AC adapter is broken or something. I have no clue

Luke's right.

Is there something wrong about CFL based T400?
Going to buy 6474-EB5.

Anyone has a LED T400?

Sorry, meant to say T23s. Misread the title.

CMOS dead? buy a 2032, $2 fix.
Screen flicker or backlight flicker? if the latter it should be $15 tops to fix.

Is the T430 worth the price if I'm upgrading from an X220? Can it run TF2 well? (it's the only intensive-ish game I still play, mostly because I hate myself) I'd be using this on a dock as a main PC since I need to travel a shitload. Should I just upgrade my actual desktop I don't sue much anymore or take the plunge?

My main productivity uses are artfagging with KRITA and writefagging with a text editor.

>is there anything too 'blast-from-the-past-y'?
SO-DIMM DDR1, 1GB RAM tops (512MBx2).
IDE HDD, 9mm one.
USB 1.1.
Cardbus Type ll, you can add a USB 2.0 port this way.
16MB VRAM onboard GPU, dont expect run anything with this.

It will be a Linux Text machine.

i'd jump from a *20 series to a *40 instead if i had to

Can't an X220 handle TF2 fine on the lowest settings?

Not him but i play TF2 on a T400 at 30 FPS with the lowest settings.

Aren't the 40 series rally shitty? Also really expensve? This is based on hearsay. I'm a writefag and I goddamned hate chicklet keyboards and I was considering putting a 20 series keyboard in the 30 series, bu I used a T430s keyboard once and it was actually really nice. is the keyboard quality consistent on the later models?
Kinda sorta. I've only ever gotten source games to run correctly under windows on this laptop for some fucking reason and it seems to be a problem nobody else has, not even my friends who use the same laptop and the same distro.

>Aren't the 40 series rally shitty?
The shitty part is the keyboard layout, soldered U processors (unless you get a t440p) and the touchpad (which can be replaced with the T450 touchpad). You'll also get a more modern platform and the option to have a FHD IPS screen.

>Also really expensve?
Nah they're around the same price as a typical t420 or t430 on ebay and even cheaper on rare ocassions.

>is the keyboard quality consistent on the later models?
Yes but i do agree that the new layout is worse than the old keyboard layout.

which bios did you use to remove the whitelist? im trying to find it now

What is the best thinkpad for 500e?

Question for T400 users, do all T400 have the mercury warning even if they have a LED screen?

A family member gave me a bunch of old computers, one is a thinkpad t40. What should I do with it?

Can anyone answer? i think the seller is annoyed with me at this point for asking him so many questions and make him check his inventory.

>x200 with Latin-American layout

Are you mexican?

si... fly...

Qué tal su desempeño comparado con la T430, sé que la diferencia es abismal, pero cómo la ves?
> Actualmente tengo una T420 y estoy tentado a comprar una X200 (aunque no es la tablet)

My T400 had no warning but I found pic related inside. All models should have Mercury warning. You don't want to get AIDS do you?

Sup friends, looking to buy a new laptop for on the go photo editing.

Budget: Under $300, cheaper the better I suppose but if it's worth it I could shell out the $300.
Size: Anything really, preferably something smaller
Performance: Anything that can run Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop smoothly
Other requirements: Getting deeper and deeper into photography and I want to start editing my stuff as I travel instead of waiting until I get home. My only real requirement is having lightroom run smoothly while editing 10/20+ photos at once.

I'm not even the guy with the mexican keyboard. This was just a reference.
youtube.com/watch?v=vh8F-r25TWc

Translation about what he said:

Howdy pall, how is the T430 performance, i know the difference is huge but what do you think?
>Actually i have a T420 and i been thinking about buying a X200

Reminder to mexanons to speak in English, this is not Sup Forums.

That's an utterly terrible request really. For photo editing you need a lot of screen real estate, good resolution, good colors. You might find a large Thinkpad within that budget but none of them would have a screen even remotely usable for photo editing.

>Getting deeper and deeper into photography
>lightroom run smoothly while editing 10/20+ photos at once
That's nice and all but if you buy something $300-tier you're gonna be shit out of luck. Best you could find is probably 30 series, maybe 40 series if the machine is in bad condition. These are most likely powerful enough and again, their screens are garbage.

>preferably something smaller
If that's not a priority, you might have some limited options but you're most likely not gonna get them for $300.
15" models are really your only way to go here. Get a W series or a T series with a W series screen. With either of these options you want to be around an outlet most of the time though because if you're working with Photoshop battery life is going to be shit.

>These are most likely powerful enough
What I meanst was
>These are most likely not powerful enough
At least not if you really want to work on 20 photos at once

I was just browsing the Internet on my T420 and suddenly I see a puddle of clear, light brown fluid pooling by the right side of the laptop. It doesn't have any odour and doesn't appear to be acidic (my hands haven't fallen off yet). I pick it up and the entire underside is soaked with this fluid. Immediately unplugged and took out battery.

What the fuck is this, Sup Forums? Could it be possible that something was spilled on it ages ago and it only now drained out? I took it apart to clean it when I first bought it and saw no signs of anything like this. Would appreciate any ideas as to what this could be.

well done you made your thinkpad cum

post photo

it's your wifi fluid dude

Actually laughed, thanks user.

I got spooked and cleaned it all up immediately, no pictures I'm afraid. It happened rather fast.

pls

kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1289331241&requestSource=b

How much is this worth in USD to you guys?

Maybe $200, maybe $250 because it has an SSD. But only if it's in good condition

I've seen an X200 for like $100 USD. It's a good deal?

>tfw no money
Someone pick these up.
m.ebay.com/itm/272799340730?_mwBanner=1

What do you guys think of this for a cs student? I'll be running Elementary OS. Other than schoolwork, I mostly just shitpost and read on it. The resolution is bad at 1280 x 800 (WXGA), but if I'm not playing games or watching movies, should I be able to manage? Here's the full specs:
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-14-refurbished-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-black/5513900.p?skuId=5513900&productCategoryId=

And here's the other ones I was looking at:
bestbuy.com/site/compare?skus=5784703,5514209&productString=*&url=/site/searchpage.jsp?id=pcat17071&st=lenovo+thinkpad

I dropped and broke my Yoga 14 under warranty, and Best Buy didn't have any toi replace it with it, so they tried to give me a newer, non thinkpad yoga, but I was able to get them to give me a gift card for $900 instead, but the new yoga thinkpad is ~$1300 and I can't afford the extra $400, so I'm just looking for something cheaper and use what's leftover for whatever else I ever need.

pft bro thats worth 300 USD at the minimum

Mexico here, $4800 Pesos which is $240 USD.
Its actually $3000+ $1800 of the 256GB SSD.

Lenovo ThinkPad T431s Core i7-3687U 2,1GHz 8Gb 128Gb SSD Win10 1600x900 UMTS

299e

Good deal ?

It doesn't even say what model it is, stay away.

Nah

T430s. It's in the image

Sorry, apparently I can't read. No, it isn't worth it.

Thinking of getting this. What are the pros and cons compared to getting a Thinkpad?

Buy a new screen for the Yoga for $25-50?

That is not a thinkpad.
Ideapad is a cheap consumer line.
Works, will last but dont expect any reliability against physical damage.

Yes I know it's not a thinkpad...that's why I asked. So basically the only negative is physical damage? Looks like I'll be getting that laptop then.

Well, I have to buy something from Best Buy because of the gift card. I guess I'll shop around for a price match. Would you pull the trigger under those circumstances? Best Buy doesn't have many options for a thinkpad with an ssd in my price range.

Something broke internally and Best Buy wasn't able to fix. The screen was fine.

I bought an ideapad once and regretted it. Thinkpads are much better.

Yup, Ideapads are not that bad, only the celeron ones.

>Something broke internally and Best Buy wasn't able to fix. The screen was fine.
The fuck did you do?
What broke?

HDD/Screan can break and are easy to repair.
Other than that nothing can break that easy.

I really don't know. I woke up in the middle of the night drunk and vaguely remember dropping it off my bed. To be honest, it's possible I pissed on it too.

Got a refurb t420 with basically like a 'skin' on the top, and the palm rests probably to cover any cosmetic damage. Should I peel them off? It's making my autism kick in.

peel off the touchpad, looks better without that sticker imo

the "skin" dunno, maybe it was trashed/scratched/cummed on to hell

Is this a good deal?
Seems a little pricy, but it already has 8gb of RAM and a decent processor. I'm planning on adding a Samsung SSD for around $100 more as well. Also comes with the added benefit of no cumstains, certified refurbishment, etc. amazon.com/dp/B01LXCLDRI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_b4LKzbPVACXDQ

Might want to try to win the T430 here first

>These laptops are as-is for parts or repair.

>boots to BIOS
Remember these are normies, user.

I don't see the problem.

Even if the BIOS were to be locked it's easy to remove a supervisor password on those models.

I would still have to upgrade the RAM and add a second HD, and there's no guarantee on the quality.

Notice me people !

There's very little guarantee of quality on certified refurbished models. All it means is that they have all the parts they need to work, you'll still need to clean them out and replace thermal paste to fix temps. Not to mention DDR3L is reasonable inexpensive, just pick up an 8GB stick for ~$40 and have 12GB.

Thanks for the info user. What are your thoughts on the T420? I know you can add it's keyboard to the T430 but aren't there compatibility issues? Also is the processor really that better on the T430?

>(will support libreboot by 2018)

Would Best Buy actually price match this? $699 seems too good to be true. As I explained earlier, I have a $900 gift card, so just buying the one on Ebay isn't an option. Here's the links to both:
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-460-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-180gb-solid-state-drive-black/5655145.p?skuId=5655145

ebay.com/itm/like/222600233944?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=222600233944&rmvSB=true

IIRC the 3rd-gen graphics are much better. I don't think the keyboard will have any issues.

Man im making crazy a guy im buying a T400 for my sister, i feel bad for them but the site warranty says, if he mentions it it must be that way or you get 100% refund.
Since i cant complain about stuff he never mentioned im bombarding him with questions for 2 days in a row.
I think i will leave them a tip.

i need a laptop for school. cs related shit and something i can put a linux distro on. whats the best model to get for a used chinkpad nowadays?. ideally i would like a 1600x900 screen, 8gb ram, i5, ssd. i know the t420 used to be recommended a lot. is there a better model i should be looking for now? i dont really want to spend more than like 350-400 dollars max, preferably less than that on something used.

lel post photos of all the questions and replies

T430

Fuck. It looks like they don't. This is from their exclusion list.