What is the best way to learn a new language?

I want to learn German and I know the basics from school but I want to learn more by myself. So if you have any tips on how can I learn it more efficiently please tell me. I'll appreciate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ay1cYP9Wb3s
duolingo.com/
dict.cc/
duden.de/
conjugator.reverso.net/conjugation-german.html
heinzelnisse.info/
youtube.com/watch?v=E3-UfPCubsE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Talk to Germans

Geh mal auf Austausch. Ich bin jetzt auf einen und kann dir erzählen, dass mein Deutsch viel besser geworden ist.

Duolingo, movies in that language with subtitles and actually talking to people who speak it.

Speaking of which, german friend, how is "ch" pronounced (like ich, dich, or leich)?
I've seen some people say it like kh, but also some people say it as sh.

Wo kommst du her?

test

Aus Amerika, nach Speyer.
Was für einen schönen Stadt!

Why was i banned? i never post here anyway. Duolingo is great for basic stuff, i found Pimsleur really useful,shit's expensive but you can always torrent it.

Kleiner Hinweis: Stadt ist weiblich, obwohl es nicht so aussieht.

Ich wollte auch auf Austausch gehen aber habe es nicht gemacht. Vielleicht mache ich es, wenn ich ein Masters nehme.

Sprichst du normalerweise Deutsch mit den Deutschen da? Ich stelle mir vor, dass alle ihr Englisch üben möchten, wenn sie mit dir reden.

Ich wohne bei einer Familie, und die Eltern können Englisch nicht, also normalweise die sprechen mit mir Hochdeutsch und zwischen sich sprechen Dialekt (Pfälzisch).

In der Stadt (danke fürs Hinweis) möchtet man mit mir Englisch sprechen (wenn man meine Staatsangehörigkeit wissen können), aber ich antworte auf Deutsch, und normalweise danach tun sie das gleich.

like a hissing cat
youtube.com/watch?v=Ay1cYP9Wb3s

In some accents/dialects they also pronounce it as sh, for example around Cologne.

I recommend this website
duolingo.com/
I've been using it for 4 days now and i really like it
it has millions of users
50 millions are learning german

In the Palatinate it's said as "sh," but in Hochdeutsch (proper German) it's supposed to be said as a hissing noise. If you need to practice saying it, keep repeating "Eichhörnchen" to a German until they say it sounds correct.

>be younger than 25 y/o if possible
>don't neglect neither written nor spoken part of language
>watch a lot of movies in that language with subs in that language (if possible)
>trying to memorise grammar rurels isn't particulary efficient
>make a trip to that country
>make a friend with someone who is fluent in that language

I've never mastered any foreign language, but I think that these are good advices

>I've never mastered any foreign language
>speaking english
>is polish

>I've never mastered any foreign language, but I think that these are good advices

thanks. now im off to r9k for some sex tips.

>trying to memorise grammar rules isn't particularly efficient
With German you MUST focus on the grammar, even though it can be boring and difficult. Without knowledge of grammar you're fucked and you'll never be able to speak it correctly.

Humans evolved advanced brains to process messed up data.

There is some difference between using and mastering, tho.
m8 at least is for free. Plus doing this stuff (and other which appeared to be wrong later on) I could get my english from shit level to average level in not that long, And I started when I was 27 y/o. Mayby it's not that impressive, but I dare to say I know a bit about learning language .

What a cute little pronunciation

the thing is, simply speaking the language won't teach you to speak it correctly when you're an adult. you should first and foremost learn the grammar, then once you know the grammar you can start using the language and as it becomes more natural to you it will become second nature, but before it becomes second nature you need some intuitive sense of how stuff works and it's impossible to have that if you:
a) haven't been exposed to the language for an extended period of time at a young age
b) haven't learned the grammar so that you can compensate for the fact that you weren't exposed to the language

>mfw i came up with a genius method for this yesterday after visiting the hamburg kunstmuseum

>manga has cool visual style so i'd like to read some classics
>I haven't used german in many years but want to practice it more
>japanese < - > english translations are garvbage
>japanese < - > german translations are also garbage
>but both are equally bad most likely
>language in manga is usually simple so easier for people starting off

solution

>read manga in german

declination in demo mode, 5 tenses and that's about it. Srsly what's that tough about German gramma?

>grammar
>speak
Nice meme. thinking 2 seconds about grammar rule before saying any word.

why hasn't "visit krautchan" been suggested

>grammatical genders that don't make any sense
>there are about 12 different ways to form plurals (umlaut, suffixes, added suffix for dative plural etc)
>remembering how german verbs are conjugated is a bitch because of unpredictable vowel changes
>subjunctive I & II
>subordinating conjunctions
>word order changes in many different subtle contexts
>words that are context sensitive can be confusing (sie/ihr)
>inflections differ on 3 levels: weak, mixed and strong
>pronominal adverbs (darauf, davon, woher, wofür etc.)
>particles (doch, schon, gleich etc.)
>weak nouns

read this the grammar is like training wheels before it becomes second nature. after that you don't think anymore, you just speak.

the hard part with genders is vocab though

you have no idea how often this happens to me while speaking german
>speak
>want to use a noun
>don't know the gender of it
>can't guess it intuitively
>avoid using that noun because you need to inflect determiners and adjectives well in advance for gender and case
it's way easier in e.g. russian

>grammatical genders that don't make any sense

Althought I don't know jack shit about German, I had to learn it for 4 years in elementary school (I live at the border). I screwed this back then, but now I think that German simply has every single noun starting with der/die/das and you have to memorise this like it was just one word. DerWagen, DieGurgenSalad and so on (or DerGurkenSaldad?). Beside that you wrote in Chinese to me, I can't say anything about it. But, hey, we have some fucked up grammar as well (7 declinations and some other stuff which I don't remember atm).

Don't even try, stay the fuck away from my country, nigger.

I was hoping that in many cases germans will "know what you meant" and just recognize that you're not a native speaker and guessed the wrong gender

does that not happen? I could see how it could make the sentence incorrect in some cases, but not sure how often.

yes, you're supposed to remember nouns with the article attached. the thing is, there are many words in german that I haven't explicitly learned but that I know exist in the language nonetheless.

e.g. the word "theme". if I'm speaking to a german and I want to use the german word for theme I can easily guess that the words is "Thema" because it's "tema" in Norwegian and "theme" in English, BUT I can't guess the gender. it could be literally anything.

it's also extremely annoying when a given word in Norwegian is identical to a word in German (in meaning and looks) but has a different gender.
e.g. "Stoff" in german is masculine but neuter in Norwegian.

yes, they will know what I meant so it's not a big deal. it's mostly because I'm a perfectionist. I want to master this language, I don't want to speak incorrectly if I can avoid it.

But besides these gender stuff German should be pretty easy for Norwegian, and even if you didn't give a single shit about der/die/das, you could understand everything and be understood.by everyone. You really wanna perfect it, no?

then stay to online convos where you can use canoo.net and leo.org for everything

(i think these are the best two resources but maybe things changed in last 7 years)

I use these sites:
dict.cc/
duden.de/
conjugator.reverso.net/conjugation-german.html
heinzelnisse.info/

>the grammar is like training wheels before it becomes second nature
It doesn't work this way. After much practice in speaking, listening, reading, and writing, it becomes second nature.
Grammar is only needed to write beautiful and correct texts.

Ivan here has a point. Both Russian and Polish have shitload of rules, too. I've never bothered with trying to memorise them, yet my Polish is quite neat in comparsion to other Poles. I just read a lot, so "I know how it should be said/written". That particulary aplies to spoken language, you simply don't have time to remind yourself rule and use it on concious with keeping the pace of talk.

this is actually a good idea
thanks everyone

explain this then
youtube.com/watch?v=E3-UfPCubsE

>In the Palatinate it's said as sh
t. Ronny aus Berlin