/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewing For redditors:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/Watches/
youtu.be/IlJFLSVmEzY
rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=272575
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like watches

ATTENTION REDDITORS:
reddit.com/r/Watches/
reddit.com/r/Watches/
reddit.com/r/Watches/
reddit.com/r/Watches/

>tfw you will never own a tantalum decimal repeater voutilainen

youtu.be/IlJFLSVmEzY

H A N D M A D E

Is there any good site beside Chrono24 that sell vintage DJ?

I've seen a fair number of them on yahoo.jp auctions. Whether you want to through the hassle of a proxy and whatnot is up to you.

Bob's watches isn't the cheapest place but they're legit.

Thoughts on this watch?

It's dogshit m8. Hope you didn't pay much for it.

>E-sport
no thanks

>isn't the cheapest place
Yup, that's for sure, just got a quick look and the prices is pretty high. Although the condition and the warranty they have is pretty tempting.

should i trade?

Goodnight /wt/

10 bucks m8

Look how spotless this watch is, I almost couldn't believe it's like 18 years old. In the original box with papers and brochures and everything. I'm pretty pleased, even if the price was higher than ebay/chrono24 and the purchasing process is a pain in the ass. They make you jump through some hoops to verify your identity.

Check locally too especially if you're in a big city. DJs are pretty popular watches and you may find a gem in some local store, just be careful and do some research on it before you buy it.

>want a decent used vintage Swiss watch
>Can't justify spending $500 or more on a fucking watch until I'm at the point in my life where my loans are paid off, I own a house, and make at least triple my current post graduate salary
Why do I even come to these threads? Either I'm envious or get duped into buying a piece of shit like a Seiko or an Orient

The watch on the shelf much more aesthetically pleasing than the one in your wrist, but honestly keep it. It's kind of pathetic to try to have a decent looking watch on your wrist and have it be a timex. You're better off with an ugly "my mom got it for me" watch

Does anyone know of a good paracord strap for a Caliber 89?

I hope you mean the IWC one.

yeah, i see what you're saying. i was only asking cause they're around the same price and i can return the weekender i currently have. the weekender's got that classic shitter watch that anyone can identify and the other one looks kinda like any other watch

oi niggas i got some stupid ass watches and i want nato straps what are some cool colors

Get a decent Seiko 5 and hold out senpai. Saving up for a speedmaster so I know the feeling.

how come watches dont say the face/dial size and instead give the case size? some cases are huge with small faces, or the other way around. it's kind of annoying, cause i like bigger faces/dials.

Should I cop? Don't know anything about this band, does anyone have any experience with one?

*brand. I can't fucking type on mobile

these guys keep coming in waves

Orient watches aren't shit m80. At least for me. My Bambino 4 has really good accuracy, my skx007 does not. I love seiko though and my skx007 definitely has its purpose.
>tfw hand winding feedback
It's extremely satisfying.

>13mm lugs
that's small as shit, and not too good for the price.

I'll go ahead and skip the purchace. It's hard to tell if these Craiglist sellers are posting at an accurate price or not. Thanks

Archie Luxury would call it an absolute shitter. I don't like him too much because his videos are so brain dead but he'd be right on this one.
>Side note
I can remember all the good luxury watch brand names when watching his videos because he repeats them so much in his retarded voice.
>Omega speedmaster MAN ON THE MOOOOON

I wonder how he gets when he hears people say it was faked.

Reference 16800 was the last good sub. Compare it to the next in line, the 16610, and you will see what I mean.

Kind of crap, but $75 is nothing. If you like how it looks go for it.

Now if it were $200+ I'd say stay away.

I get that the Timex Weekender is a shitter, but this might be the most attractive lume I've ever seen on a watch under $200.

They changed the design from tool to luxury watches. Not surprising really, Rolex is now just a brand to buy to brag about how they're "made it" for normies.

beautiful mang, i cant afford this right now or the near foreseeable future which is why i'd love to get a SARB or at the very latest this year a DJ homage like this one and IDGAF if trolls here are gonna tell me its 'dogshit m8'

fuck it man if you dig it then ignore the fags to the left.

Ah I see, you're a diver watch amateur. Ok let me teach you a little :)

The added those "luxury" features such polished markers because it increases night visibility where your lume has worn off due to reflections.

You're welcome!

post your shitters that you've had forever and is reliable!

What's /wt/'s opinions on shark leather straps?

They look good and apparently are water resistant. Also not as expensive as crocodile and ostrich.

That's some nasty shitter.

Had it since 90s was gifted,a nice straightforward piece. Where's yours

By the way you write, your curry skin and your nasty shitter I know you are a Pajeet.

P O O I N LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O

>There's a video of him throwing a patek into wet concrete as construction workers were paving a road.
Why?

By the way I write- lol you faggot I was driving hence 'the way I write' so where's your nasty shitter then?

>driving while typing on his phone

Can you get more Indian than this?
Here's my shitter.

nice shitter you bangla.

nice SARB but is it me or does it look massive on your pasty wrist?

I got bamboozled into getting an Orient agent watch from Mass drop. The thing is way uglier than it looked in pics, barely keeps decent time, and the second hand doesn't stop when you're setting the time which pissed me off. Thinking about selling it on eBay for a $30 loss

picture?

They look cool. the water resistance would depend on the padding used. They may be cheaper than your hoity toity croc straps, but does a 3rd world country sell them cheap on eBay?

> is it me or does it look massive on your pasty wrist?

It's you, I'm afraid.

nah, its massive on you.

Watches look larger in pictures than they actually are when they are taken with a phone camera from a close distance.

Half broken bagel in sverige

regardless- great watch, would love a 35 if i can ever afford it.

Because you can clearly tell the ratio between face/case size from pictures.

Now the real question is, does case size mean horizontal case diameter, lug-to-lug distance, or case diameter with the crown? Sellers don't have a consensus on this.

>61910732

>"Nonsense. Grand Seikos are probably the best finished production watches in the world, period. Seiko throws so much labour at the ~5,000 watches a year that Grand Seiko makes, that their level of finishing has more in common with JLC than Rolex.

If you cannot tell that level of finishing appart from a $400 Seiko, then you are an absolute pleb."

Grand Seiko obviously has better finishing than their SARX line as it has none at all... The cases are both finished well but GS obviously also gives slightly better bracelets. I honestly don't know why you care about the finishing on such a plain movement or why you would want a display caseback on half the GS's anyway...

> "Grand Seikos are probably the best finished production watches in the world, period. "

holy fuck you Seiko cucks are actually delusional.

those watches are 38mm but their wear fucking huge... why does seiko make all their cases so fat?

>Grand Seiko obviously has better finishing than their SARX line as it has none at all...
I was referring to case/bracelet/dial/hands finishing rather than movement finishing.

>holy fuck you Seiko cucks are actually delusional.
Do you understand what "production watches" means? It means series produced watches as opposed to handmade watches. Haute horlogerie brands are not production watches.

So, yes, Grand Seiko does have better finishing on its cases/dials/hands/bracelets and movements than Rolex, Omega, etc.

fukin enormous dood

how can you just say something like they have better case dial hand finishing than Rolex? it makes no fucking sense. How are you even judging that?

The same way you tell that a Rolex has better finishing than a Vostok.

what? Rolex has superb finishing... are you putting it under a microscope? how can you just decide seiko has better finishing? also there are many production lange's, pateks, aps, etc that all have far better finishing than grand seikos.

Twink.

Actual grown-ass man.

When people start complaining about 38mm sporty watches I know /wt/ has a hormonal problem.

People have put them under microscopes, but macro photography should be good enough. I'm not the other guy, but I think he meant closer to mass-produced than just production. No one thinks than Seiko has better finishing than Lange, that's retarded. Seiko has better finishing than some of the really low-end Pateks (see beveling comparison image) but definitely not Pateks in general.

you are talking about movement bevels lol .. the gs movement basically looks like a 6r15 anyway so who gives a fuck? oh and when the watch looks like this it doesn't matter anyway.

That's fucking beautiful, Jesus Christ

also a magnifier is not a microscope.

This is a macro photo showing the level of finishing on the hands and indices on a Grand Seiko.

Also haute horlogerie brands are not considered production watches period, Rolexes are probably the second best finished production watches after GS. Substitute "mass production" for production if that helps you understand the difference.

Ah, I see you are just shitposting then. Nevermind then.

show me a zoomed view of rolex hands so e can compare them.. So you are excluding all swiss brands? All those brands produce a fair number of watches every year... What other brands are you including?

this looks nicer it has better finsihing

I've never seen a Death Star phase complication before, neat.

Rolex doesn't even attempt stuff like the alternating brushed and hand mirror polished finishes on components as small as segments of a hand, or surfaces on a baton. Rolex tends to use simpler single finishes on hands and batons, and the same is true of their cases and bracelets.

That watch is so well designed. God i want one... wear it in good health user.

what is the Cellini?

First for glorious cccp
>B-b-but it's ukrainian

Even on their Cellini line they do not use nearly as much adjacent alternating finishing, nor are the polished portions hand mirror polished as they are on Grand Seikos. Just look at the edges of the dauphine hands here to see what I mean.

>cccp
>Ukrainian
It says 'made in Russia' right there on the dial user.

the cellini hands are mirror polished.. just because they don't use alternating finishing which you didn't even post an example of doesn't meant hey have inferior finishing.. you are also comparing different watch styles.. you simply won't win .. there is no evidence anywhere that gs has better finishing.. Furhtermore GS has shit design.. their cases and dials look horrible compared to most Swiss designs.

Beveled surfaces on hands and indices are a Seiko thing and they look great on Seikos, simpler but still very well done polished surfaces are the Rolex thing. I don't know why you people are arguing about this, they're different aesthetics and they're both good and done done to a very high standard. Maybe you should also consider that GS uses stainless steel which allows for the type of look that Seiko wants and Rolex uses white gold which allows for the look Rolex wants. It would be kind of silly to take white gold and start cutting sharp bevels into it, and trying to brush it would be even more retarded considering humanity has been coveting gold for millenia precisely because it's really shiny. You people just cannot appreciate different things for what they are, trying to rank everything into an objective power ranking from worst to best is literally autism.

My LM Special has passed through customs. Now i just wait to see how much they raped me for.

Literally even the Rolex Forums disagree with you ( rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=272575 ), but as you've just clearly stated you intend to be obstinate no matter what evidence is presented to you I will leave it at that.

I know, retard, I meant what I said. People have used microscopes.

>rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=272575

one guy on the rolex forums says he thinks gs has better hand finishing on two watches that can't even be compared because of their totally different styles.. maybe you should consider you are clearly biased and that both watches are finished equally well. When you consider that the vast majority of people find seiko's case and dial design significantly lacking you'll then realize why they can't get away with charging even as much as a private seller charges for a second hand Rolex.

If you don't believe that ask dufour he loves grand seikos.

>Dufour warns the "too-comfortable" Swiss watch industry that they are no longer the clear winners of watches. He gives considerable weight to the work done by the Germans, Japanese, and even the Chinese.

Don't bother with him user. Seikofags are the Nissan GT-R fans of the watch world.

>I really think Ford really nailed it with the '72 Gran Tori..
>YEAH WELL DID YOU KNOW NISSAN MAKES A SPORTS CAR THAT GOES EVEN FASTER? HAHA ENJOY YOUR STRAIGHT LINES. CAN'T TURN xddd. I MEAN YEAH I PERSONALLY ONLY DRIVE A '97 HONDA WITH A PLASTIC BODY KIT AND THE ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE A GO-KART BUT IT'S WAY BETTER THAN THAT NEW CHALLENGER YOU OWN. FEELING PRETTY STUPID, HUH?

Same guy.

yup i was right, looks massive here but normal here javascript:quote('61916925')

nice and on a normal wrist.

God damn add another link and wear that a little further down how do you even bend your wrist like that? I'm pretty bitchwristed too but not nearly as bad as the first user.

I think the first guy just took a bad perspective shot.

Just because I understand that finishing work actually costs labour time and that massively more hand finishing labour is spent on Grand Seikos than Rolexes does not make me biased. It is you that is conflating how much you like a brand with how much work is out into the finish. If you actually understood manufacturing you would realize how absurd it is for Seiko to throw as much labour at ~5,000 watches a year as they do with GS.

Sorry, what was that, I couldn't hear you over the sound of your own desperate aspirationalism.

What model Seiko?