Dutch created super virus, left it unguarded, and wanted to publish how to make it

tl;dr The Dutch created a super flu that could kill half the human race, left it without armed guards for any terrorist to seize, and even wanted to openly publish how to make it for
anyone to see.

>A deadly strain of bird flu with the potential to infect and kill millions of people has been created in a laboratory by European scientists – who now want to publish full details of how they did it.

>A genetic study showed that the new, dangerous strain had only five mutations compared to the original one, and all of them were earlier seen in the natural environment – just not all at once. Fouchier’s strain is as contagious as the human seasonal flu, which kills tens of thousands of people each year, but is likely to cause many more fatalities if released.

>"I can't think of another pathogenic organism that is as scary as this one," Paul Keim, a microbial geneticist who has worked on anthrax for many years, told Science Insider. "I don't think anthrax is scary at all compared to this."

>The study was carried out by a Dutch team of scientists led by Ron Fouchier of the Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam, where the mutated virus is stored under lock and key, but without armed guards, in a basement building.

independent.co.uk/news/science/alarm-as-dutch-lab-creates-highly-contagious-killer-flu-6279474.html

rt.com/news/bird-flu-killer-strain-119/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Oym7B7YidKs
npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/04/10/301432633/scientists-publish-recipe-for-making-bird-flu-more-contagious
archives.nbclearn.com/portal/site/k-12/flatview?cuecard=56179
nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-uncovered/isis-files-what-leaked-documents-reveal-about-terror-recruits-n557411
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_natural_gas_production
youtube.com/watch?v=eiBiB4DaYOM
ft.com/fastft/2015/10/13/shell-aims-boost-hydrogen-vehicles-germany/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbazole
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You're welcome.

>independent.co.uk
>russia today

yeah post some alternet source as well you dumb fucking nigger

It's just a prank bro.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oym7B7YidKs

Kek who cares

hnpr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/04/10/301432633/scientists-publish-recipe-for-making-bird-flu-more-contagious

archives.nbclearn.com/portal/site/k-12/flatview?cuecard=56179

Apparently he did actually leak how to make the virus a year ago as well.

Only weaklings get viruses anyway lmoa
>mfw yearly flu epidemics

I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU MENTION SMALL FOAMY BEERS ONE MORE FUCKING TIME WE WILL UNLEASH THIS FUCKING VIRUS

sounds like something out of a stupid cataclysm flick

Well, Pakistan, Iran and North Korean got nukes from our technology.
And Iraq has chemical weapons from us.

I guess a killer virus would be another cool product to export.

whoa thats more foam than beer

is it just the angle, or are they really that small?

So what you're saying is that when this study gets published terrorists will make a super-virus.
How, where will they get the equipment and the know-how?

>is it just the angle, or are they really that small?
What are you talking about? That's just a normal glass of beer, m8.

If they don't publish how to make it, nobody can figure out how to cure it. Then when it breaks out of the laboratory, we're all fucked up.

There's two sides on this coin too

shouldn't you design this stuff with cure in mind from get-go?

ppsssst he is american

Drowning yourself isn't enough? You'll want to take us all with you?

I don't think that's a realistic possibility, usually they just reverse engineer the virus to figure out the cure. I know that the argument is that you shouldn't create stuff like this in the first place but it's science and it's better that it's figured out in a legit lab than some 200 IQ terrorist figuring it out in his secret lab for genocidal purposes

The chances of it developing all 5 necessary mutations to mutate it into a genetic supervirus capable of wiping out half of humanity naturally is fairly low, much lower than the chances of it escaping or being released. Even if it is justified in being made, leaving it without armed guards was dumb and wanting to publish it for the general public to see was even more so.

Quite a few educated people with Masters degrees/PhDs have joined terrorist groups-it's not hard to imagine someone with a degree in biology doing so as well. And terrorists can get quite a deal of sophisticated weaponry fairly easily, it wouldn't be much more of a stretch to get the equipment needed to make viruses.

>armed guards
>at a university
This isn't America.

Granted I'm more scared of states like North Korea getting it since they have more technical know-how and the ability to produce it.

>American education
This guy is probably over 20 years old and is still that stupid. Scary.

It shouldn't have been stored at a university, it should have been stored at a military lab. It's like having a university tinker with a nuclear bomb and not securing that shit against intruders, it's just dumb.

>American education

Is all you can say. Where am I being unreasonable? Both the US and Russia only carry out this type of research in heavily guarded facilities (Vector Institute in Russia and military facilities in America). We don't leave this shit to chance.

I happen to have worked with phd students in biology from King Saud university. They were barely at the level of students doing their bachelor-thesis here.
The illegal market for that kind of equipment is also not quite the same as it is for weapons

I'm not talking about meme countries like Saudi Arabia-I'm talking about western-educated defectors. Quite a few members of ISIS came from British universities, for example.

I'm not sure if we even have military labs.

Our military research is done by private organizations, like Airbus Netherlands, Damen Ship Building and TNO (Institute for Applied Scientific Research).

>Quite a few members of ISIS came from British universities, for example.
Did they, my understanding was that they came from the unemployable uneducated muslim youth in European countries

Releasing the information to the public leads to more people working on it, finding a cure and such. IMO it would be more immoral not to publish what they found, at least if it's published there is more of a chance of humanity surviving it if it is ever unleashed.

Exposing an uncontrollable supervirus to the public hardly fits the agenda of any major terrorist organization and the tech to make such substance is not in the wheelhouse of one that might want to do such a thing.

We come to the argument of whether it's okay to design superweapons such as nukes. Yes, they present a huge risk to humanity but the innovations it led to have been essential for our need of power. Two sides of the coin, all we can do is hope it leads to more good than evil.

This desu.
Add that this is the first time someone publicised it. Perhaps the virus is already in a freezer with armed guards somewhere in Russia and the US.

>Armed guards
>Near something that could literally kill the population of the entire country
This isn't America. America actually has a functional defense department while our minister of defense wears a skirt.

>university tinker with a nuclear bomb
Weellllllllll, I better not tell you who runs our nuclear reactors then. :^)

You would be surprised. About a quarter of ISIS recruits from the West are college educated or above, and most are at least high school graduates. This is largely why they have been able to launch fairly sophisticated cyber attacks among other things.

Why not just bury it? If I was the queen of rotterdam i'd say bury it and be done.

do you have any, you know, sources?

Pray tell, i'm dying of curiosity

A research institute that works with four technical universities.

I raise you with reactors built by Frenchmen and Russians

How have you not nuked yourselves yet? I'm amazed.

Also somewhat dismayed, I thought you guys ran on solar/wind power completely. It's a sad thing when such a nice developed country like yours relies on nuclear energy.

Yes:

nbcnews.com/storyline/isis-uncovered/isis-files-what-leaked-documents-reveal-about-terror-recruits-n557411

>They are perhaps more educated than we would expect," Dodwell said.

A third went to high school and a quarter had a college education; only 17 percent said they stopped their schooling after elementary or middle school. That level of education was higher than the average for many of the countries the men called home.

about everywhere from teenagers up until men in their 60s," Dodwell added. "We're talking about very diverse backgrounds from an education perspective — individuals who list their education as none up to those who listed their educations as Ph.D.s, masters degrees, MBAs … Everything from laborers to doctors and lawyers."

>Also somewhat dismayed, I thought you guys ran on solar/wind power completely. It's a sad thing when such a nice developed country like yours relies on nuclear energy.
Except they rarely, if ever, have a positive rendement you double slav. Nuclear energy is at the moment the most clean source of energy that actually generates more energy than it costs to produce on average.

You know we're sitting on the biggest gas field of Europe right.
Plus we have some of the biggest energy traders of the world.

Our energy isn't exactly clean. We're really lacking behind.
But we aren't nuclear either. Belgium is nuclear, but the Netherlands just has some reactors for science.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_natural_gas_production

None of that suggests the educated ones came from the west

>half of the EU's gas production is Dutch
nice

96% of our power comes from non renewable sources unfortunately.
Germany is atleast trying to go green tbqh but the rest of europe sucks compared to them.

youtube.com/watch?v=eiBiB4DaYOM

Renewable energy > nuclear energy

Our farmers here get massive butthurt because of this.
They say they get depressions seeing those wind mills.

You know, the Netherlands has no need to work towards energy independence, like the rest of Europe.

We own the biggest private oil company of the world (Shell), the biggest oil trader (Vitol), have our own gas (Groningen gas field). So our politicians just look at it from a financial perspective.

If Russia stops supplying Europe nothing happens here. Our exports just go down.

It does not (yet) for most countries

Fuck them this more important than their feelings :D

Shell is introducing hydrogen fuel for cars though. So soon we'll be in the business of green energy.

The Netherlands: not giving a fuck since the 16th century.

How do we eradicate* the Dutch menace once and for all?

*except for their female hockey team

>imblying it will become mainstream before oil becomes scarce

Why the fuck do they want to publish full details?

You have to send all 7/10 and above australian women here.

We bouwen momenteel 400 tankstations in Duitsland. Dus het zou best snel kunnen gaan.

hydrogen fuel is a failur.
Audi and BMW experimented with it and decided to not do further investigations.

Main problem: It's very very highly explosive. Your car will explode like in a Steven Seagal movie crashing against a wall.

Ja maar dit gebeurt allemaal in duitsland.
Ik hoop dat duitsland hun invloed in de EU eerder gebruikt dit mainstream te maken in plaats van dat ze moeite doen om syriers hier te krijgen.

According to Shell it's simply a chicken and egg problem, if car manufacturers or oil companies start with it first. So they took the initiative.

ft.com/fastft/2015/10/13/shell-aims-boost-hydrogen-vehicles-germany/

It's not that easy.
There are technologies you could ese but real pure hydrogen is impossible to handle in civil use.

Already little crashes would leave no survivors in a radius of ten meters.

What is developed here in Nuremberg is Carbazole en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbazole

This is an oil that can store Hydrogen at a low temperature and gives it up at a higher one.

It doesn't explode like pressure hydrogen tanks.
The oils itself isn't burned.