Which Scandinavian language is closest to Icelandic in terms of vocabulary and pronunciation?

Which Scandinavian language is closest to Icelandic in terms of vocabulary and pronunciation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5F_INMLk_lE
youtube.com/watch?v=xjwpWxWNcHs
youtube.com/watch?v=771YB958Og0
sprotin.fo/?p=dictionaries&_SearchDescription=0&_DictionaryId=2&_DictionaryPage=1&_SearchFor=murtur
youtube.com/watch?v=dGK40ykalTw
icelandiconline.is
youtube.com/watch?v=msVZb0GZ6VA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unironically Swedish, although it's quite distant

icelandic is the most conservative scandinavian language so it is hard to understand even from people from norway/denmark/swedish

faroese

checked

nynorsk

fight

Faroese is fairly close to Icelandic, but Faroese is not a Scandinavian language.

Norwegian.. Icelanders wuz norwegians back in the old days

Faroese, if it even counts.

Who gives a shit? Scandinavian languages are gay.

Icelandic is a 1000 year old Dutch, isn't it?

Is Memrise any good for learning icelandic?

You're not going to learn it fluently of course but it gives you a very basic grounding.

Well shit. What's a comparable(to Duolingo) app for learning it, then? I don't really have the time or dosh for an official course(which i don't even know if it exists over here), and the 15 minutes a day way of learning of Duolingo is perfect for me.

From the Scandinavian trio of Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish, Norwegian is by far the closest. Especially the dialects on the west coast of Norway are the least like Swedish and Danish, and are descendent from the same people who had some leave for Iceland.

But outside of those three, the only other survivong Norse derived language, Faroese, is much closer than anything else. They are not mutually intelligible, but they are the closest languages to one another.

Norwegian is the closest of the Scandi trio to both Icelandic and Faroese. There are two Norse derived languages that have gone extinct, Norn and Greenlandic. Greenlandic would have been most connected to Icelandic, and there would be a language continuum from Faroes to Iceland to Greenland. The other, Norn, was also from Norwegian, and found in Shetland and Orkney. It would have been closer to Norwegian than Faroese was, until its slow death and corruption with Scots and English.

Altogether, Norwegian spawned two branches, one a continuum from Faroes to Iceland to extinct Greenland, and the other to Shetland and Orkney.

The relation of Swedish and Danish to these languages is much less than Norwegian. Norwegian actually started distinct from those two as a west Norse language, whereas they were east Norse. But due to proximity and influence, Norwegian has grown to fit as a language continuum between Swedish and Danish, which has made it over time less similar to the all the Norse derived island languages that came from Norwegian.

meme apps such as duomeme and memerise won't make you learn a language. It can give you a very basic introduction, and can help you learn some vocab (even then, not so well), but you can't learn an entire language just with meme methods.

You can't just magically avoid actual studying and time investment thanks to memes.

youtube.com/watch?v=5F_INMLk_lE

Oh, don't misinterpret me, i did say i don't have time or dosh for an actual course, but i'm willing to spend a year or more to learn it by practice and reading before thinking i'm some hot shit.

For example, i'm learning russian from Duolingo for some weeks now, but i plan to test it in about a year by trying to read Metro 2035 in it's original language.

It's almost the same way i learned english, except i used vidya, movies and Sup Forums instead of apps.

>Scandinavian

youtube.com/watch?v=xjwpWxWNcHs

>5-2
:^)

>look mom I posted it again

Icelandic is completely unintelligible. I speak Swedish so I can understand Norwegian and Danish fine, but Icelandic is something entirely different desu.

Faroese isn't Scandinavian?

>The Icelander exclaimed whilst getting pounded in the ass

what's this her voice is cute

I love Icelandic accents but Icelandic women are disgusting desu

Depends on your definition.

Scandinavian is a cultural definition that traditionally applies to Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. In the anglosphere its very conmon for people to include Finland, though they are excluded from the traditional view of Scandinavia. Iceland and Faroes are also sometimes included in Scandinavian too, but again, do not traditionally belong.

Nordic is the term for the cultural and geographic grouping of the Scandinavian trio, Finland, Iceland, and Faroes. Scandinavian is traditionally only Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, but commonly in English used interchanganly with Nordic.

I've even seen universities with departments dedicated to studying the region use them interchangably. Scandinavians tend to dislike if you use it Scandinavian incorrectly too, but its still super common, at least in English

Not true, I mostly understand Icelandic.

Yeah, but OP probably doesn't understand the difference between North Germanic and Scandinavian languages. It's kinda like most outsiders call the whole Nordic region Scandinavia.

Besides, Icelandic and Faroes can be seen as insular Scandinavian languages, as opposed to the continental ones.

how

So it's like how some British on here sometimes get butthurt if you include the USA in the Anglosphere

Being Norwegian? I don't know.

Actually its Finnish, unironically

If you can actually understand Norwegian in addition to Swedish fine I am surprised you have so much trouble with Icelandic. Written icelandic is easy and short spoken sentences/slow speaking also isn't that hard to understand much of what is being said without any prior specific knowledge of Icelandic.

almost 5 years ago

many words are very similar, and the sentences arent incredibly different. its just old norwegian words with -in and -ur behind them.

the absolute madman

>thread about Iceland
>Faroese magically conjured up

fucking GERMANY is a joke

literally everything is blocked on youtube

What did he mean by this?

We're on good terms

youtube.com/watch?v=771YB958Og0
is this blocked?

No
but all the music owned by Jews is

I mean that you don't exist until someone talks about Iceland

I can understand Icelanders, PM probably calls the local Sup Forums sperg to answer any questions Sup Forums may have, but why the fuck Faroese answer as well?

>usa
>anglo

Vocabulary and pronunciation are actually two very different things.

Icelandic pronunciation is quite degenerate compared to Norse, while some Scandinavian varieties are much closer. Icelandic has some conservative pronunciation going for it, like keeping the dental fricative, proper vowels at the end of words, and you can still differentiate between "hn" and "n", unlike Scandinavian. But Icelandic vowels are very degenerate compared to Scandinavian vowels, and there is no distinction between long and short vowels/consonants.

I don't really know the answer to the question, just thought I should mention this.

actually English is the language most closely related to Icelandic

This is true and not a meme

Watch the edge, Cuckmansdottir

Excluding Faroese, I'd say that certain dialects of Norwegian are closest. I also think that the rhythm of Icelandic is very similar to Finnish.

you two are neighbors right, do you guys suck each others dicks when you get done with shitposting time?

We stroke fish together

For vocabulary, a person with a very good Norwegian vocabulary could probably read Icelandic fairly easily, without major problems. But regular Norwegian is far from Icelandic in vocabulary. I don't know what the case is for different Norwegian dialects, while you can pick from many dialects to get something close to Icelandic vocabulary, I don't know if any single dialect is high enough quality to be considered closest to Icelandic, especially when you consider that Swedish also has some really strong competition in some really high quality dialects.

sprotin.fo/?p=dictionaries&_SearchDescription=0&_DictionaryId=2&_DictionaryPage=1&_SearchFor=murtur

Compare 1st and 2nd definition

one people one nation etc

lel

I want to move to Iceland, but I've read some scary shit,
Does food really suck that much?
Do they really won't let you send serious money to an account abroad?
Will 2D loli get me vanned there?

English before it was ruined by the fucking French.

Surviving language would be Faroese

There's enough of you here already

It's the Icelandic nationalist episode

Obviously this is written, but I understood everything of the Icelandic text except the word "fley".

I'm not wrong.

what the fuck happened to our language to make it so unrecognizable

Do Faroese have a similar accent to Icelandicks?

Also, when you go abroad and people ask you where you're from what reaction do you get?

The French frencified it.

Our core words we use the most are still mostly Germanic which is good.

I can't really say. In my opinion it sounds a lot like a typical Norwegian accent.

I usually tell non-Danish people that I'm Danish, and Danes that I'm Faroese. I don't really feel like explaining. Most Danes seem indfiferent.

Icelandic

youtube.com/watch?v=dGK40ykalTw

Skip and listen to 14:02-14:25, then skip to 15:10 and listen to the end. I personally think their accent sounds more southern-Scandinavian than ours.

I thought he meant English accent

But I would agree, Faroese has a lot unique sounds like í (ui), ggj/gv (skerping), different á, etc, etc

Could be the case. It's been a while since I've heard Icelandics speak English, but I think I recall their accent sounding less stupid than ours.

Wew

That sounds bizarre

If you're referring to Icelandic, then I agree

Faroese wtf

Does it sound that peculiar when you don't understand it?

icelandiconline.is

I'm not sure how good it is, but this site has some free Icelandic lessons. I used to know a cute Scandinaviophile girl and she said we should learn Icelandic together and it was really nice but we fell out and so I stopped learning it because it reminded me of her :(

Älvdalska
youtube.com/watch?v=msVZb0GZ6VA

yeah

This is a really cool language, some really high quality sounds. Keeps the old nasal vowels, that disappeared from most of the rest of the nordics by the 1200-1300s, I don't remember. Also the only North Germanic language to keep the w sound, and one of only three Indo-European languages to keep the original proto-indo-european [w] in its true form, the other two being English and Scots. Traditionally, also had the Japanese F sound, which was how Old Norse pronounced P in some contexts, also extremely old sound.
Another thing is that it lacks some defining traits for both Eastern and Western North Germanic, so in some ways, it can be said to be a hole in between the two different branches.
Was written with runes as recently as 1900 for the last time, kept using runes for much longer than anyone else.

Really cool and interesting language.

Icelandic is the closest language to Old Norse. I just thought I would state this, because there is a lot of misinformation spreading around that Swedish is because it preserves a few vowel distinctions that Icelandic doesn't.

feminism is cancer

Icelandic is still much closer to Old Norse. An Icelander could have a conversation with someone from the Viking Age, and no other Scandinavian language could.

Source: I have never met an Icelander that could not read the sagas in their original form, and the pronunciation changes that have occurred are not enough to make them unintelligible.

What happened?

This guy is pretty spot on.

Icelanders can read Old Norse even today, that's enough to show who they are.

If I could learn one meme language it would be Old English

>Vocabulary and pronunciation are actually two very different things.

That's why I mentioned them seperately

It has been stated that a person speaking Setesdal dialect from Norway could also be able to hold a conversation with someone from Viking Age, but I don't know.

Pronunciation is only part of the reason they can read the sagas, the biggest reason is probably their vocabulary. Their ortography is also a bit conservative, which helps. A Norwegian would have no problem reading the sagas if they were familiar with the words, the sound changes are pretty irrelevant across the Nordic languages. It's the words that matter.
Another thing, the sagas people from Iceland read is a bit changed to be closer to modern Icelandic. It probably doesn't matter at all for people to be able to read them, it's really minor, but it's enough to piss me off, with their lack of distinction between ö and rounded a. So yeah, doesn't really change anything, just a little bit dumbed down and more degenerate in Icelandic publications.

This, desu.

They can read Old English better than other contemporary languages as well.

Icelandic vowels are quite different from Old Norse and continental Scandinavian, arguably being simpler than Old Norse but Icelandic consonants are far richer and more complex than Old Norse