VP9 hardware decoding is still broken on Polaris GPUs

>VP9 hardware decoding is still broken on Polaris GPUs

No shit? Well, I felt retarded when missed opportunity to buy xfx gtr 488 for like $200 especially after that bitcoin hype and price boom. Now I fell a lil bit less retarded.

it's a fucking licensing nightmare

VP9 is open source, you're confusing it with H265

your cpu can't handle software decoding?
just buy ryzen 3.

>polaris

why is the media company that is stupid enough to fire dodger making GPUs?

POOLARIS

Polaris VP9 decode is a joke!

rx480 8g owner here, I think vp9 driver support is low priority for amd (gaming issue is high priority huh???), and now vega come out, they have no time for this feature.

>hardware decoding
>on desktop PCs

Becuz videocard dept in amd is the better dept. Not like it's good, just others suck even more.

Are you confused or something user?

I'm confused because I don't see why saving 5W of power matters on a desktop.
Also, hardware decoding usually results in worse picture quality.

>Also, hardware decoding usually results in worse picture quality.

HAHAHAOHWOW.jpg

You save power AND cpu cycles that are now free to use on other processes that can't benefit of parrallel processing

>being this ignorant

What other processes would I need so badly while watching a movie that I can't sacrifice a few % of CPU?
I disabled h.264 hardware decoding too, because it's worse in almost every way, it even makes scrolling through a video slower.

its because you can save hundreds of dollars by not buying the moar coarz flagship cpu that you don't need since you're not software streaming
the tdp reduction alone from that is way more than 5w

I dont want to upgrade cpu + motherboard just for video playback, but if gpu does its job right, I can watch youtube 4k smoothly

>I disabled h.264 hardware decoding too, because it's worse in almost every way
My amd gpu h/w video playback looks way better, contrast and color is better than cpu video playback.

>Vega can also decode the VP9 format at resolutions up to 3840x2160 using a hybrid approach where the video and shader engines collaborate to offload work from the CPU.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW

RAVEN RIDGE CAN'T EVEN HARDWARE DECODE VP9 BECAUSE OF SHITTY AYYMD