Dutch?

>Dutch?
Clearly a unique language.

>Luxembourgish?
Clearly a unique language.

>Swiss?
Just some meme dialect of German, obviously.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C_D4MTpkf-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And?

I think this inconsistency lacks Ordnung.

Not really. Swiss German is *much* closer to standard German than Dutch, Luxembourgish or any other language. The fact that it's generally not written (Swiss write standard German with a few minor differences in orthography and vocabulary) just adds to the support for its status as a dialect.

Scottish isn't necessarily any more intelligible to an American than Swiss German to someone from Berlin

I was under the impression that spoken Swiss is barely German?

Though I suppose Scots is an apt comparison.

Are you trying to undermine my cultural diversity nigga?

>cultural diversity
>(((LuxemBERG)))

Castlejew.

>Americans who think -berg is Jewish because all the German jews ended up in the US....... somehow

Cant argue with that

>German humor

It was mostly a reference to all of your 100% totally not-German neighbors being _______jews

>swamp jews
>mountain jews

What's an example of the same sentence in Swiss, Luxembourgish, Dutch, and German?
"The dog chases the cat down the street."

They used their jew magic

Lux: En Hond joht eng Kaatz d Stroos eroof

A heavy Swabian, Styrian, Bavarian or Swiss accent can't be understood by most Germans. Lower Saxon or Berlin's dialect can be understood by everyone. Pretty much everyone can speak high German as well. Generally Swiss people just speak slightely different. When it comes to Luxembourgish or Dutch i would propably only get something if i read it.

We are catholics tho but we do have 2 synagogues

Do all of the Southern Germans (including Austrians and Swiss) understand each other?

I was under the impression that the dialects of Northwest Germany were mutually intelligible with Dutch.

Swiss and German are both High German variants. Dutch is a Low German variant.

They haven't been mutually intelligible for more than a thousand years.

Saxon dialects are somewhat readable but they are dying out. Over the past 500 years the dialect has become increasingly High German to the point where I can read a 500 year old text from say Hamburg better than a modern saxon text.

Not at all. They are certainly related to each other, but a strong accent of a dialect you don't know can be tough to understand, even between Swabians, Bavarians and Austrians. Swiss German is even farther from the three, though most closely related to neighboring Swabian

The good news is that most everybody speaks a dialect continuum between their native dialect and standard German, so if people have trouble understanding each other, they just tone down the dialect until it's not a problem

Low German is pretty much like dutch.
Bavarian is a little like the Austrian they speak in Vienna, but Styrian (from eastern Austria) sounds very different again.
Usually, everyone from Germany, Austria and Switzerland perfectly understands each other, it's just few people, that have very strong accents.
>Swiss German is even farther from the three, though most closely related to neighboring Swabian
You would instantly recognize the difference once you cross lake constance, though.

How would you (generally) describe the sound differences between dialects?

For example, as a very general rule, U.K. English is (usually) non-rhotic, less nasal and less monotone than U.S. English.

youtube.com/watch?v=C_D4MTpkf-E
tfw nobody speaks the dialects from our eastern territories anymore.

Dutch is also meme dialect of german. I understand most of it and giggle all the time.

It sounds like a dwarf language

I'd imagine they're only *spoken* by very old people, but are the German dialects from Eastern Europe documented in literature/recordings?

Yes sure, there's some old people left, but you lose your accent after a while, especially if you've only lived in the east for less than 10 years. My grandma was born in the far east and there's just a tiny bit of her accent left.
Books written in dialects are seldom, mostly just for fun. Generally you would find that stuff in modern dialects, but finding stuff in Eastern Prussian is just as hard as finding stuff in 18th century German, i believe. Actually i never searched for it.
We have Asterix comics in different modern dialects dialects, this one is Swabian

It's not a sentence that can be translated because you used figurative speech.

swiss german is as much a language as luxembourgish is
its just not official
however literally every "german" speaking swiss speaks swiss german from day to day

But I'll play:
De hond jaagt de kat door de straat.

(door means through)

Or
De hond achtervolgt de kat verderop in de straat.

What does that sentence mean anyway? Is it down the street where the cat is being chased or is it being chased away towards.. down the street? And is the dog hunting after the cat or just following the cat?

Owww

>I don't know the difference between an official standardized language and spoken language

its all germanic nigge
u can read all of their stuff
just not understand them when they speak
holland anschluss now

What about "I had (eaten) two green apples for breakfast this morning"?

in durch this would be

I hop oten zwe greene appels an ze mog

Ik heb vanmorgen twee groene appels als ontbijt gegeten.

english and swedish are germanic too

Ontbijt means unbite. Like uncovering and unfreezing you're beginning to eat.

It beats breaking your fasting.

The German Frühstück means early piece.