C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else

C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else.
Protip: You can't

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/dotnet/core/issues/428
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wow, it's not like every language is getting (often more) massive updates.

Why you shouldn't use C# is because it's basically a Windows only (you could use it somewhere else, but really basically nobody does or will).

Forever and increasingly second fiddle to Java and the other JVM languages. Even if it's syntactically okay, it's just on the wrong runtime, and without access to the right libs (JVM has better stuff in most cases).

t. Pajeet

Golang and C are all you could want.

You mean OCaml my man

.NET Core is officially supported on Linux and Mac (by Microsoft themselves)

>C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else. 2015
>C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else. 2016
>C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else. 2017
>C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else. 2018
>C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else. 2019
>C# got a massive update, tell me why I should use anything else. 2020
The eternal update BTFO

>meanwhile C last code revision was in 11

.NET is pure shit, use some code from 1999, pro tip you cant

.NET Core is becoming somewhat appealing for monkey coding and even for some serious shit. Sorry, this is just yet another .NET vs Java comparison.

Biggest downside of anything Java is interoperability with OS and package management (Maven is single worst shit ever coded). NuGet is awesome, no fucking around, just gimme this package and of course I want the latest version. Calling native functions is easy as hell (at least on Windows). .NET on Linux with MonoDevelop still kinda sucks, but you can just take your .exe and .dlls built by VisualStudio and run them flawlessly in Mono. Oh, that brings me to package distribution which is just copy .exe and .dlls in build directory. What the fuck? How can it be so easy? What about maven-assembly-plugin and 100 lines of nonsense XML? Visual Studio is kinda OK, not as stupid as Eclipse IDEs, but not as good as JetBrains IDEs. Oh, and there's Rider, C# IDE from JetBrains as good as Intellij IDEA. (I don't depend on IDEs but not even Vim with my awesome config and plugins can't beat static analysis and Ctrl-Click [or kb equivalent], that takes where you want to go). If I'd go .NET, I'd probably try F#, but first I'd learn OCaml. C# is kinda OK. It has lot of cruft, but gets the job done. Modern Java may be cleaner, but still limited and generally, who gives a fuck when you have much more powerful languages around?

Bio: I was employed as Java monkey for years and I liked toying with FP in Scala. I'm terrible programmer.

.NET Core is years away from being ready for serious use. and it's a mess. their naming and versioning scheme is one of the biggest shitshows I've ever seen

No GUI in .NET Core though but I see it that Web (HTML/CSS/JS) way of making GUIs is the future. It's quite powerful. Only downside is its huge inefficiency, but that's just plumbing problem. Some platform that'll run all apps on single Chrome runtime will eventually appear. All other rich GUI libs make me vomit.

You are good programmer, just functional guys had high math studies.

^ this ^

>support C#
>call java programmer pajeet
Sorry sir but you're ridiculous.
Well, pajeet or not he's right on this. C# is the last language I would go for in any situation. Greatest bloatware of all time. Would have never work without Microsoft support. That shit has no right to even exist.

I like F#, I'm sure C# is nice too

Because Rust, C, C++, and Java are better than C#.

Clearly this guy didn't make it through a single chapter - and that's assuming he even tried to read SICP.

>No GUI in .NET Core
Really, it's just a matter of someone getting around to writing a library for it. Mono has GTK#, and it shouldn't be too hard to port GTK# to .NET Core.

>their naming and versioning scheme is one of the biggest shitshows I've ever seen
How so? The higher the version number, the more APIs you can access. It's really not that hard

>Really, it's just a matter of someone getting around to writing a library for it. Mono has GTK#, and it shouldn't be too hard to port GTK# to .NET Core.
It shouldn't be too hard to port winforms either since it's basically just a wrapper around the native win32 UI and GDI which could be done with just pinvoke. But alas, MS designed everything to be impossible to port and they didn't release source code for it (not under any useful license anyway).

My gender violates the terms of service

>.NET Core is years away from being ready for serious use
t. someone who has never worked a day in his life

it's a bloody mess that collapses on itself when you try to do anything more complex than a hello world .net mvc website. I know a couple of people that work in .net shops and their teams haven't even started considering switching

github.com/dotnet/core/issues/428

Learn to refactor. You don't work for a real enterprise do you? Code from 1999 would be considered legacy, and by now, that old app was retired and replaced several times over (most likely redundant and needless).

t. Pajeet

All I'm asking is a cross platform GUI toolkit for C#. Is that too much to ask? Is it really hard to implement something like this?

>C# got a massive update.
But that's wrong you dirty nigger. Go back to pooing in the loo