User-kun, don't plug surge protectors into other surge protectors or extension cords or ups's...

>user-kun, don't plug surge protectors into other surge protectors or extension cords or ups's. It says on the box that you can never do that user-kun! The fireman said you can't do that!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vlme8-DPPo0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Fire prevention

I don't see the problem, both will trip if more than ~1,500 watts are used so unless you have a computer with an intel processor you should be fine.

I did it once and it set the UPS on fire.

What exactly would be wrong with this?

>What exactly would be wrong with this?
it's called trolling.

See plugging them into each other isn't the issue
It's when you take one and plug another into every slot so you have like 20 appliances at the same electrical socket. That's where things become a real issue.

Needless to say I am not learning my lesson but I have deduced that depending on how you order them you can turn off optional shit and have low power draw

Some cheaper power strips while meant up to 15 amps you are supposed to distribute the load over the sockets. If they are wired parallel and you try to draw over 15a then the cheap high gage wire will overheat and melt, causing a fire.

The best way to prevent fire is to start one yourself!

>It's when you take one and plug another into every slot so you have like 20 appliances at the same electrical socket. That's where things become a real issue.
Do they? You'll just blow the circuit fuse if you overload it. I don't see the hazard.

It's if you don't and the heat generated by the devices becomes too much.

I can't estimate the power draw from my socket but I've begun to take proper measures to ensure nothing gets dirty in worry if things possibly catching fire. The concern isn't the draw it's the heat and any potentially flammable thing near the sockets.

>It's if you don't and the heat generated by the devices becomes too much.
If you don't blow the circuit breaker, then apparently you are NOT using that much power. Power strips can generally handle as much current as circuits are fused at.

I've blown a fuse a few times, take my word for it.

Imagine a 9v battery. It takes a little effort to ignite something with it. Now link more 9v batteries. Eventually the amount of output power can be too easy to ignite things.

I say still do it but just be smart in how you daisy chain those fuckers because if you don't you'll end up with an actual fire hazard.

>I've blown a fuse a few times, take my word for it.
Everyone has. What does that have to do with anything?

>Eventually the amount of output power can be too easy to ignite things.
But that is of course not at all what is happening in a power strip, so I don't see how this is relevant.

>I say still do it but just be smart in how you daisy chain those fuckers because if you don't you'll end up with an actual fire hazard.
But how? The total power that can run through the chain is limited by the circuit fuse. The power strips can handle that load (at least, I have never in my life seen one that couldn't, and I don't think you can buy them where I live even if you wanted to). What is the hazard?

Not who you are responding to, but I have had a power strip melt because both an electric space heater & vacuum were plugged in, breaker did not trip.

Breakers do not stop instantly if you overload them.
Only by a short-circuit are they supposed to turn off immediately.

You can look up what class of breaker you have.
Class B / C / D are most common for houses.

It's okay to use this if I have a Vega gpu?

As long as you don't use Intel CPU too.

I did that shit once with a small space heater as well. It melted the plug. Which I only found out because it stopped working after the plastic melted, and the bars fell apart.

After I opened it up the bars were very oxidized right at the plug.

My house I'm renting is very old, so I don't trust my circuits at all.

>a power strip melt
>It melted the plug

El cheapo plastic strips aren't meant for long term use. They usually say temporary power tap or something to that effect on the back. The contacts wear out with frequent plugging in and out and if you leave a high amp load plugged, the plastic eventually relaxes allowing the contact bars to move away. Shitty contact -> higher resistance -> more heat generated -> the more the plastic deforms -> the worse contact is made -> more heat -> ??? -> melted plug and/or house fire.

tl;dr: Don't be a poorfag and pay the $10-20 extra for a metal strip with real wall socket receptacles in them.

Fire codes being retarded
People being retarded

Lucky for me i've bought overpriced belkin power strips.

Listen to her

I have boards plugged into other boards but I don't plug things like heaters into them. The lower power draw devices are plugged into the second boards.

>bought belkin

Why would you ever do that? Belkin manages to be worse than buying deathtraps from aliexpress

if you plug a surge protector into another surge protector they both stop protecting against power surges. Same if you plug a UPS into a surge protector.

>people seriously think this

Not, but they alone will just protect at half their capacity, each 1000w capacity surge protector will offer like 500w protection each.

>1000w

More like 2.9MW

>each

Whichever is more worn and has the lower clamping voltage will trigger. The other will do nothing.

Wouldn't they both trigger?

The surge protection is in parallel with the connectors on the board, not serial, so surely both would clamp but the first would take the brunt of it?

The breaker is sized to trip before your HOUSE wiring melts. What you plug into the outlet may not be able to handle the same current.

That's what happens with multi-stage surge protectors with one at the breaker panel and another at the wall outlet but for that to work they do need to be separated by at least 10m.

I've done it before. It was a long time ago I was maybe 11 and trying to conect my computer but had no electrical extension cords so I used multiple power strips conected to each other.. it lasted for about 15 seconds until the conection started to spark and burned the wall.

instant death, or more like slow death?

Euros have free healthcare so it doesn't matter.

It's all about the watts your draw, or more specifically the amps.
It's fine to extend so long as you're powering like a couple 20W lamps or a 20W phone charger.

those are American plugs

They're not, they're german.

This logic is retarded. Linking batteries together is completely different than linking multiple power strips together. Power strips don't generate power.

>tfw power strip for my computer, screen, printer and phone charger is plugged into another power strip together with a TV, a space heater, a lamp and another power strip
>I have been doing this for 5 years
>never tripped the breaker
>no melted parts
>no housefire

Then how to you explain this free energy machine?

youtube.com/watch?v=vlme8-DPPo0

>my computer
300W
> screen,
50W
>printer
85W
>phone charger
10W
>a TV
50-150W
>a space heater,
1000W
> a lamp
10W

1600W or 13A. You still have an amp or 2 to spare.

that's clearly not a surge protector
don't call any extension cord surge protector

It blew up top where the mov's are.

They're in a vinyl pool with no connections to earth ground, they should be fine.

Until the tingle they get makes them want to get out and put one foot out of the water.

I've got four power strips daisy chained and not a single free socket on any of them

The problem with heaters is that the heat from the resistance element is conducted back to the power source. That's probably how the mov's got damaged.

That's clearly not an extension cord either.

>Printer
>85W

WAT

>An average ink-jet or laser printer which is designed for home use will typically use 30 to 50 watts when it is printing, in standby mode most printers will draw around 3 to 5 watts of power. Commercial printers which are used in an office will draw 30 to 50 watts on standby and 300 to 500 watts when printing.

I don't. I DO have one plugged into my UPC, though. UPC is located at the back of the TV, and I occasionally want to use my laptop in the living room, and I want to charge my Dualshock 4 without needing a 10 foot long micro USB cable. That's all it's used for.

Your insurance wont pay shit if your house lights up and they find something like this, no matter if it caused it or not.

So, yes, don't do that.

What's funny is I only have one outlet that doesn't give a "fault" alarm when I plug my UPC into it, so I would argue that it's arguably safer for me to plug my octopus into it.

Is live and neutral switched?

Got me. It's a privately owned rental, though, and was originally built in the 40s, so if I had to guess, I would say that there's no ground in any of the other outlets.

>kun

Did you just assume my gender?

That's because you're on 110V instead of 240 like the civilized world.

see

>having cheap power strips, cheap electric instillation
I have fucking copper in my house, i have 30a sockets and UPS.

UPS's have shitty surge protection unless it's double conversion type.

The bigger issue is why you're living in a country where you need surge protectors at all

>What is lightning