Does anyone here actually use gentoo?

what can you tell me about it?

>falling for memes
Sup Forums is far to intelligent for that

Is that a tuck-away?

I used it from 2002-2008. It was a lot of fun, but eventually you'll come to realize what a time sink it can become and switch to something like Ubuntu. If you were running it on production servers you'll come to realize what a mistake that was too.

It's fun for a good while though and a great way to learn deep Linux skills. I first started using Gentoo when I was working for a small business IT consulting shop which eventually led me to a 10 year stint at a large enterprise as a Linux sysadmin. I'm now a senior systems engineer at a major tech company and make over $140k working remote from the Midwest. I have Gentoo to thank for all of this.

Oooh gentoo bepis

I think a few people around here use funtoo, but not even the guy who started the Gentoo project uses it anymore

i have a x60 running gentoo that i will probably wipe soon as its in a bag and i probably wont update it until a month from now, so when I do there will be 999 slot conflicts so ill just wipe it and install arch

Yes, give me more!

Its comfy. When I was a linux babbie, installing Debian and Arch taught me not to be afraid of the command line and get to know the system a little better. With Arch, I was hoping to get down to the gritty stuff, but in all honesty its a hand-holding distro.
Gentoo is cool cause its tailor fitted for muhbox, and its the learning experience I was looking for in Arch.

Itz breddy good :----DD
Customization & shit. Also strangely my broadcom bcm43142 works good only on gentoo. Ebuilds are easy to write & there are many utilitary eclasses (kinda like libraries). Also overlays

》to
Too*

I don't get the time sink thing.
If you do anything remotely non trivial on ubuntu, the lack of flexibility causes you to spend about the same amount of time on system maintenance.

I can see by your meme arrows you are only pretending to fall for the b8 m8

I use source mage in my laptop if that counts

would you post some examples of these non trivial things?

>time sink
You know you don't actually need to stare at the terminal and watch the lines go by? Typical updates take less than 15s of your time

Test

>installed Gentoo 2 weeks ago.
>Before that, i had a heavy customized arch installation.
But i consider my laptop and its OS as a "project" and not as an instrument to get work done.
>NEET
After all theses years of Arch i got bored, i had nothing to fiddle around, and every time something broke, i knew immediately how to fix it due to experience.

So i installed gentoo with the goal to have at least all the customization i had in arch
>needed slightly more than 1 day to make my LUKS/LVM2/MDADM setup bootable because of inconsistent/false Gentoo wiki information
>still not got managed to install wifi drivers (desu, only tried a hour)
>RJ-45 cable all time
>still had no time to install card reader driver because of other problems
>After 4 days of debugging i successfully removed screen tearing (modesetting under arch worked, but not under gentoo, just ditched it for bumblebee after 4 days)

Now screen tearing is gone i think i will need additional 7 days to make everything perfect
current TODO:
>make /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness writable for wheel group after boot
>install wifi driver
>install wpa_supplicant or try something different
>ditch grub2 for something more KISS
>restart kernel configuration form scratch
>this time document all kernel configuration changes
>configure acpi
>configure laptop battery to only load to 80% with tp-acpi-bat
>configure lm_sensors (it only shows 1 value, in arch i had like 7)
>configure SELinux
>set up firjail
>configure fuse and udev for easy mounting usb sticks
>configure i3bar
>install unbound for dns caching
>backup everything
>try changing CFLAGS

>never install gentoo again from scratch
or
>install it again with the help of my backup image and this time create a full documentation and contribute it to the t440p page on the gentoo wiki

Please rate this blogpost

8/10 blogpost

Integrating my own packages into the system for one.
With gentoo, my ebuilds automatically rebuild when the abi changes, I can't do that on ubuntu.

Nah, it's a fupa you fucking faggot.

It's cool to see someone not only working this hard to make things work, but contributing to the wiki with what they've learned. I kind of feel like I've been too lazy now.

>no time to install card reader driver

>--menu-config
> search `card reader`
>m
>esc esc
???