What Sup Forums thinks about ReactOS? Its is good it has fatal flaws? It can replace windows in medicore gaming pc?

What Sup Forums thinks about ReactOS? Its is good it has fatal flaws? It can replace windows in medicore gaming pc?

>What Sup Forums thinks about ReactOS?
It has potential. It is under active development and "visibly" gets better with each major release.
>Its is good it has fatal flaws?
Nothing I saw so far. What shortcomings it has can be rewritten and they did some big rewrites in the past.
>It can replace windows in medicore gaming pc?
Definitely not. Driver support is a problem in terms of you cannot run the drivers themselves. The OS itself is still alpha and not stable.

there's not enough interest behind this for it to ever be useful in practice
I hope some code makes its way to wine though

It's a vaporware/scam project. They parade it here and there asking for donations/investor money because "they have potential", only to squander it.

It's 20 years in development and it was never usable on real hardware. Most of it's code is either useless rewrites of notepad.exe and explorer.exe, or code pulled in straight from WINE. They don't have and never had any hardware experts.

Linux is 30 years in developments and widely used on mobile phones, and somewhat used on desktop by some nerds. It boots on real hardware and runs WINE, so it's a better Window replacement than ReactOS.

>I hope some code makes its way to wine though
they've been sharing code heavily for ages
basically anything that makes sense in the other is shared

It's getting a new release in about a week according to a reddit post on druaga1's subreddit asking him to make a video.

I think it's really pointless, but to each his own

At this rate, maybe we'll get a Windows XP clone in 2050. But most likely they will never finish it.

>asking for donations/investor money because "they have potential", only to squander it

ReactOS is being funded directly by the Russian Gov't in the hopes it'll be a viable alternative to Win10. Chances are, before W10, ReactOS was a glorified pet project

>Facebook makes an operating system
>thinks it won't be loaded with spyware

>can it replace windows
It's not stable yet. Nor has it reached XP in terms of functionality. It's driver support is shit. And it's primary goal is to be an XP replacement. A light, non-botnet XP replacement that is. So it will never be for gaming unless it gets 50x more devs working on it. However, there's apparently a windows 7/8/10 replacement OS that's a fork of ReactOS.

>what do you think
I like the idea, but hate that less than 20 people work on it. It would be much better to steal windows' source code and start building a FOSS OS from the current, or at least more recent, kernel.

Ain't got shit on NodeOS

ReactOS != ReactJS

I got it to run on a Dell P4 box, a MSI Pentium M laptop (no wifi tho), that counts for something right? Right?

I don't see the point since Wine exists.

The point is making an open source windows with native performance, instead of shit performance.

Then it fails. ReactOS has shit performance.

>It can replace windows in medicore gaming pc?
Maybe in like 20 years

It's so fucking slow and can't even use ntfs yet

Improve it then. It needs as many developers as possible. Shrugging your shoulders and saying "eh it's not there yet, call me when it werks" is the most retarded thing you can do. Stop being a parasite.

So you can't criticize something unless you help fix it? I hope you are helping improve every open source software you use, otherwise you are a parasite. Honestly, it's one of the most retarded statements I've read in a while.

There's a difference between using and saying it's useless and you'll come back when it's not.

but saying "you'll come back when its not" implies its useless. i hope you're trolling m8, im getting concerned for you

If it was ever going to turn into something useful, it probably wouldn't take 20+ years like it has.

Good idea and there's demand for it now, but it just isn't going to happen even with more attention if it's been this long.

Its interesting.

But its going fucking nowhere. The aim is to duplicate windows, but windows is a moving target. By the time they reach windows 7 levels of functionality and compatibility (probably never) it will be 2043 and Linux will rule the world.

>20 years in development
well, not really.. more like 18 years in hibernation, 2 in "oh shit gotta start working on this again"

It's not trying to replicate the latest windows. It's goal is to replicate XP so it can be run on legacy hardware as a free windows alternative, for businesses. Quote:
>intended to be binary-compatible with computer programs and device drivers made for Windows Server 2003

It should really at least get to 7's kernel level. That would give it access to more drivers and even current drivers/software.
Their biggest problems are funding and lack of devs. Which is why the development is slow.

Wine isn't an operating system. You do see the point, it just doesn't matter to you.

>It's goal is to replicate XP so it can be run on legacy hardware as a free windows alternative, for businesses
It's a pointless target these days
Both software and hardware vendors have long moved past supporting Windows XP
Businesses that are still stuck with legacy hardware/software don't have any resources to support ReactOS development, since they don't have resources to upgrade from XP

Agreed. That's why we need to help ReactOS accelerate development.
To be fair, that statement was from around 6 years ago. I'm sure they plan on getting windows 7/8 compatibility once they enter beta.

Wine is essentially the good parts of ReactOS, running on a decent kernel. There's no reason to use it, aside from tinkering.