What are the most practical languages in terms of a career in programming?

What are the most practical languages in terms of a career in programming?

ABAP

Delphi

HTML/CSS/JS + experience with meme frameworks

Java and JavaScript

It depends but in general you should know Bash, Python, C, Java and some web languages.

Java,C#,Swift

This. You'll find a job just about anywhere knowing those two.

>Python
why though?

Learned this shit in IT internship this summer. Holy fuck easiest shit I've ever done

Passable knowledge of C and at least one of C++ or Java. Depending on where you want to go, meme web tech is helpful.

Bump

Java if you can afford college, JS if you can't. There are decent Java courses in most CS departments and all the decent free online material is JS.

For employment, COBOL.
COBOL is still the most widely used programming language in the world, but it hasn't been taught at universities in some time.
Demand is very high, but supply is very low.

If your school offers a course on COBOL, take it. Buy some books to self-study.
If you have the fundamentals down, a lot of firms will gladly pair you with a senior developer to train you up and get your familiar with more advanced topics, including working on mainframes.

Unifag detected.

It was called Delphi.. But that was not the language.

We have objective pascal in some of our applications, and even the senior developers who originally wrote it call it "Delphi."

Is Ruby worth leaning?

Ruby has been increasingly phased out by the trifecta of memery (Go, Elixir, and Crystal), Couple that with the fact that many of the hipster fucks who decided to implement rails and left didn't leave pretty comments means that, for all the work, you might as well learn and be a hot commodity while your doing it.

But doesn't that mean knowing Rails (which I am learning right now anyway) is valuable in the job market?

Delphi's the name of the Turbo Pascal dialect recognized by Borland's compilers. Same way gnu11 is not c11.

Object Pascal*
Turbo Pascal's another environment.

It'll be valuable (just not as much as it once was), but you really should think about learning a language used for more than webdev. web developers are really a dime-a-dozen.

While you're learning Ruby, you should think about making something

These are the correct answer. Also throw in SQL.

What are good languages to lean after you've learned enough to be a professional webdev?
Is software dev the next step?

this user knows his shit!!!
best advice i've ever read here.

You've never learned enough in web, there's literally a new framework to learn each quarter. If you're competent front-end, learn some backend. If you're familiar with fullstack, go pick up familiarity with a new tool, framework, db, platform, service, etc.

What's the one you should learn if you want to make video games?

Might get flak for this, but for me, I found AS2/JS to be really similar to C++, which,after a couple of test projects, was a nice way to hop into C. After you learn C, though, most languages are at your disposal, whether you know it or not. They all follow the same concepts (but particularly shitty ones will have you up all nights wondering how in the world to do something you did in five seconds with another language).

Since you're learning Ruby, I would suggest you familiarize yourself with a language that forces you to declare types and use semicolons (like JS, Java, or C++), because those are the popular ones.

Gamedev is programming on easy mode. Gone are the days of having to write game-changing algorithms in order to render lego bricks, the people before you did all the hard work. C++ is more than enough. Just make sure you go compiled, VM's suck for games.

I was thinking about making a game with the quake 3 engine or something, not too worried about having the best looking game and it seems to be a very reliable engine.

For quake 3 quality, you have plenty of options. C++ and C are tried and true, and you shouldn't have a problem porting to other systems (esp. since they use x86 now). You can embed Lua, and use that to handle the heavy work. If you're on windows, bind that sucker to C#, you'll have a better time.

Learn ur RPGMAKER NIGGA

C++ and C#

C-Wizzy, is that you?

Prolog, Forth, and Scheme

Congrats you're making 200k/yr now

I would say C# and Java due to all the enterprise career possibilities.

I do python myself because I don't like those companies.