Simple question Sup Forums, can someone answer this please

Simple question Sup Forums, can someone answer this please.

Why don't we have chargers for phones that can charge the phone at the native voltage of the battery instead of stepping up or down to 5v? A phone battery is typically 4.3 or 4.2v lithium cells, just like the lithium cells in power Banks, yet because we're forced to step up to 5v we're losing almost a quarter of that energy due to conversion inefficiencies.

Other urls found in this thread:

oneplus.net/3t/dashcharge
forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/accessories/dash-charge-protocol-analysis-t3431917
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

lithium batteries as they charge require increasingly more voltage to charge the battery, above what they charge to

I know, that's why they state the average at 3.7/3.8v, but the majority of lithium chargers will be putting it 4
2/4.3v at the most to reduce the risk of overcharging the cells.

Doesn't matter because for lithium batteries you need to dynamically regulate votage anyway.

The thing I am infuriated by is only AC in homes. Why? Can't we standarise on additional 24V? Regulating DC is much less fauly prone than using those AC to DC "adapters". And more power efficiant. Most of my LED screwed lights seem to fail because of a power supply fault. If DC was commonplace, we wouldn't need most power supplies, just a chip and maybe 2 additional capacitors on either side. LED lights might even work without regulating, if enough of them were to be put in series in one light.

>Why don't we have chargers for phones that can charge the phone at the native voltage of the battery

We used to have those, and it was godawful because they all used some special snowflake proprietary adapter and if you lost it and you couldn't find a replacement with the exact right voltage and the exact right plug and the correct polarity you were fucked out of luck. Nowadays if you have a USB Micro B cable then you have a charger for your phone.

That's where you go whole hog and just have 12/5/3.3v all-in-one sockets in every power outlet.
24 volts? probably not enough devices fit into that niche anymore. Even desktop PCs could do without it anymore.

>arduino brainlet can't into switching power supplies

Too wasteful, better have one big power supply for the whole house instead of many in the outlets. It could also be super efficiant, as you'd be able to spend more on it since it'd be a single purchase.

Will batteries get larger in capacity but smaller in size?

yes

maybe

There's also resistive loss to consider, and the compensating increase in the size of the cable to equalize the voltage drop per amp, which isn't even enough because loads would still presumably want the same wattage and therefore you would have to scale up the cables again.

That said, low-voltage lighting is a thing. It is definitely more convenient to convert voltages at the point-of-load.
I'm in the process of building some light bars now. I just need to get the diffusers figured out and the mounting and wiring done.

Yes, we now have smartphones with 10000mAh batteries in them, almost half as thick as 10000mAh power Banks like the Xiaomi ones that they used to sell

>Big battery in a phone
Disgusting.

Regulating DC is much less fauly prone than using those AC to DC "adapters".

Better to convert and regulate where needed. High voltage AC is still most efficient even for fairly short distances. The same line resistance at 24 volts DC results in a higher voltage drop than 110 volts AC. That's why adapters are used at the source with a short cable for the lower voltage. Easy to convert ac voltage and easy to convert to dc.

>Most of my LED screwed lights seem to fail because of a power supply fault

LED screw in lights with the adapters failed because they were price pointed to death. The newer gen bulbs have no converter and string the LED's in series with a series resistor and run on AC. Way more efficient to run and make.

You could have the charger itself go from 3.5 to 3.6, blah blah till 4.2 when it holds at 4.2 till the current draw stops, and the phone could just have a port with a raw connection to the battery, but the moment some fucking charger fails, it cheap and just gives out 5v, or whatever, your phone would fucking explode. Running 5v into a li-ion battery would be catastrophic. It's much better to let the phone regulate the battery, efficiencies aside.

And it wouldn't even work for regular power banks, they'd start at 4.2 while the phone was at, say 3.4, so it'd need to step it down. Then, say, the phone gets to 4.0 while the power bank is now at 3.9, so it'd have to start stepping it up anyway.
Best to just focus on having the most efficient possible 5v step ups and charge regulators that can get fed 5v.

Because a 24VDC toaster would draw 80 fucking amps
It'd toast, all right.
Stepping 120/240VAC down to what you want on every device vs stepping a whole shit load down to 24VDC then again to whatever you want on each device?

Bad power supplies in LED lights was just their answer to "How the fuck do we get them to keep buying bulbs if the led's will last for 10 years?"
Didn't even need to gimp them like in incandescents, they just put in the cheapest possible adaptor instead. The extreme of this is putting a 2w adapter in with a 5w led, but that's more the chinese being cheap, not companies wanting to sell more of the things.

>string the LED's in series with a series resistor and run on AC
And fail if you give them the side-eye.
I bought a bunch of chinkshit bulbs not too long ago that had an IC regulating and presumably dissipating the current, rather than resistors. Those survive much better on shitty mains.

Actually, we have. Oneplus 3 and 5 chargers work this way.

Quickcharge at 18V isn't fucking direct charge

Except it isn't at 18v, you clearly didn't research how DASH/VOOC charge work.

Actually, it's just 5V @ 4A through a thick-ass cable. There's still power being dropped in the handset, if I understand correctly. Not that switching LiPo chargers are unknown to the world or anything.

>Normally, heat generated through charging is dissipated in the phone itself causing performance issues during active charging and throttling CPU and GPU speeds. By shifting the power management system and heat dispersion elements to our Dash Power Adapter, very little heat ever reaches your OnePlus 3T.
oneplus.net/3t/dashcharge
forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/accessories/dash-charge-protocol-analysis-t3431917

I stand corrected.
Moderately impressive.

I know 90% of quick charge is just boosting volts at 2A, I pulled 18V out my ass, my phone uses 9v, but I thought others ran at 18
4A through fucking microUSB? I hope to god they're at least using C, but even that's retarded.
Either way, that shit's not charging the lipo raw. You dump 5V 4A raw into a single cell lithium it'll level your fucking block.

Well colour me surprised.
Doesn't increase charge speed tho, just removes excess heat from the phone's step-down. Battery still gets hot and shit.
Still, I'm impressed

A "3.7 nominal voltag battery" gets charged to 4.25v on a standard charger, this includes every one of your stupid cells

There are circuit boards for lithium batteries you can use to regulate the current and voltage.

USB C (by USB-PD spec) must be capable of like 60 watts on 5v, or 100w on 12v. Amps are secondary units to USB-PD, it's either capable of USB-PD spec at 5v and 12v, or it's isn't USB-PD, and legally not a USB-C cable

>5v into a single cell
>but it's an 18V battery pack
>must just be an 18v cell charged at 5v
>"fucking chinks"
Really makes you think

I charge all my lipos (regardless of cell count which you clearly didn't think of) at 5 amps because it's normal and it has been for a very long time
Lrn2cCharge
But I mean it's entertaining watching you try to explain this to yourself

Are you seriously trying to tell me that oneplus uses four cell battery packs in their phones?
8A through those tiny pins is still insane. Does it reconfigure to use like four pins at once for positive, and the casing as ground
I never said there was anything wrong with pumping any amount of amps into a cell, I've had cells that could take 100A at any given time, but, and pay attention, if you put FIVE VOLTS AT FOUR AMPS into a SINGLE 4.2V lithium cell, shit's gonna go bad.

Yes, yes it does something similar, and I put THREE AMPS MAX VOLTAGE into a SINGLE 3.7 VOLT LITHIUM cell through several charge cycles a day, you wanna come to my house and inspect it for damage?

>5v 4amps
That's like USB power you scrub
Go wiki more battery articles before posting about why you think your "direct adaptive charging" idea is so unique, never tried and will work flawlessly instead of USB and multiple cells

It's not 5v, see

USB is 5v 0.45A

Many do, it's common practice making parallel battery packs, with seperate leads to easily charge 4 cells at one amp
This is nothing new, they just stopped telling you the battery info because you're a retarded consumer impressed by "quick charge" and that's more than enough for your money

USB power delivery spec is a wide variety of voltages and amperages but USB C easily reaches 4 amps at 5 volts
You're thinking like USB 2.0 or 3.1(previously known as 3.0)