Whatever happened to side panel fans

Whatever happened to side panel fans

I have one desu. It just has a Moduvent panel covering it, i havent taken it off because it doesnt have a dust filter to replace it and im too lazy to make one myself.

Gone, thankfully. They make taking off the side panel annoying.

is that the only bad thing about them? seems like a dumb idea, Id rather have better airflow than taking the side panel off annoying

A well designed case can provide cool air to the GPU from the front fans, or worst case scenario from a fan in the bottom of the case.

Side panel fans disappeared to get replaced by a shiny window you can look through.

Front bays disappeared to get replaced by front panel fans, or alternatively another shiny window that you can look through - or RGB lights.

Largely unnecessary.

"Some people" say that a side panel intake unbalances airflow and introduces more dust. I've always found it both lowers and offsets the heat of a GPU (and if you're autismo like me and use manual fan controllers the posi/neg pressure balance can always be maintained).

They were a pain in the ass to take off, they interfered with side panel windows, and they really didn't improve temperatures by an appreciable amount.

>not running negative pressure
Your autism is shit.

>cool air directly to a GPU's fan has no effect
I disagree, especially with the radiant heat of a PSU now going straight into one.

>trading more dust for less eddy currents
I never stated anything, just that there could be a positive OR negative pressure balance

Closed cases are trash and serve no purpose for an enthusiast unless you're shilling products for ad revenue on Youtube. Take off your side panels and enjoy the drop in temps or use a superior open air case or test bench. Use custom fan curves for near silence. Clean your god damn room and get proper air filtration so dust is not a problem you filthy fuck. Use a datavac to blow it out outside regularly to prevent any build up.

>the radiant heat of a PSU now going straight into one.
You know how I know that I shouldn't put any stock into anything you say?
Even if you don't mount the PSU fan down like you should, that fan is an intake. It draws air in through the fan and exhausts it out the back of the case. The PSU does not have any effect whatsoever on internal case temperatures.

We found an illiterate nigger!

and its you

>radiant heat
Try grade school English again

>mount the PSU fan down like you should
thats actually one of the (many) things I dislike about modern cases, the bottom-intake PSU thing. I want that fan assisting with throughflow ventilation. Of course a lot of cases just have vents all over the place these days, so all you can do is fill every fan slot, there's no way to use a few fans to get the air to flow where you want it. Top exhausts are awful for this.

It's better to have bottom intake PSU. Better for the PSU.

Just stick a couple of intakes low down at the front and a blow out up the top at the back and you're golden.

Any decent PSU is rated for a 50C intake temperature at full load.

>I want that fan assisting with throughflow ventilation.
That's how it is defined in the ATX standard. The fan in the PSU was supposed to aid as a exhaust for the case. But certain things are done due to being trendy and people keep buying certain cases with certain features. Hope they pander to my wants and desires some day. Would love to see a nice case with SATA backplanes caddies for about 4-5 HDDs, and stacked mounts (with backplanes) for 2.5" devices. To me, many prebuilt workstation designs are a lot nicer to work with than home assembled systems in FOTM cases.

tfw side exhaust with flange for cpu heatsink

tfw psu has a vertical exhaust

tfw gpu in a wind tunnel

tfw window tunnel for drives

tfw rest of motherboard is passively cooled

*slicks hair to the side*
so....
sup ladies, like muh unix?

Yes, because you really need to worry about the little box in the corner that is actively cooling itself without polluting the surrounding air. I would be shocked if the heat coming off the casing could raise the case temperature by half a degree, especially when coupled with the fact that front intakes are blowing cool air across that region anyways.