How can I get started on developing an app for android phones?

How can I get started on developing an app for android phones?

I have a cool idea I want to make come true. Can I make it in Ruby? I really like that language the most!

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Java is the best language for Android apps.

Why? Why can't I use ruby? Or solidity? Or Assembly? Just curious what makes X language the best for apps.

Better question. How can I make a PIC MCU do, like anything? I am way more comfortable with analog circuitry and even just discrete digital logic than I am with things like microcontrollers.

I got a chipkit DP32 with a PIC32MX250128B and it uses an Arduino style interface but I'm trying to address registers directly and shit and I can't do it because I don't know, I guess I need the fucking pickit debugger and MPLAB and I hate everything. Fucking mountain of work just to read the ADC and output it's value to some 7-seg displays. I eventually want to interface this with stuff like my phone to pull digital audio off to go to external circuitry but I can't even imagine the fucking complexity involved in making that work. Fucking need I2S and need to figure out how any audio file type in encoded the need to write code for each audio file type I want to decode. Fucking hell. Why do people do this again?

It's like going to a foreign country and asking if you could speak your native language there. You probably could (it's all ones and zeroes, after all), but you'll have to jump through many hoops and put in much more effort to get the same result, as compared to just learning the platform's "blessed" language and/or framework.

Fortunately for you, there has recently emerged a new blessed language in the Android world -- Kotlin. It's to Java like what Swift is to Objective-C, but with perfect interoperability with Java code. There aren't a lot of resources for it yet, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

You seem pretty lost user, try to find your way to

Java has the most documentation because it's what google chose to be the main language.
If you want to write in a different language go ahead, there are tools to let you use a variety of languages, but when you run into a problem you might have trouble finding a solution.

Dumb fuck. He can just jruby that compiles java bytecode.

you can probably find a framework for that online, i can't guarantee that's a good idea though, other anons will probably correct me if i'm wrong

The only advice I ever got from them was go AVR instead.

I wanna go PIC because that's more used by EEs and in actual products. Arduino is mostly just a hobbyist thing and I don't wanna develop bad habits or learn to rely on any crutches the Arduino provides. I figure I know jack shit about MCUs so I might as well at least start off on the right foot, even if it's going to be harder initially. Unfortunately when I'm lost I usually end up referencing Arduino code/examples/forum posts because there isn't as much info on PICs for a beginner. This has often led to additional confusion.

No need to be mean, friend.
That doesn't affect any of the points I made in my post. You're probably going to have a bad time if you decide to go with JRuby/Ruboto as your main Android development platforms.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go with Java because it was the only one I was taught in uni. Shame, I really want to use Ruby. Its so sleek

Android is basically built around Java. You ~CAN~ use other languages, but I think you'll find that it will be easier to just learn and use Java. For example, Scala is a JVM language so you would expect it would be dead simple to get working on android. I found it to be more trouble than it's worth, however.

because google designed their framework in java. of course you could implement it in other languages but you would have to communicate with java apis.

you need a C compiler, and an engineering degree.

Does anyone recommend a guide for app making in java?

I've got my Android SDK installed, ADT plugin on Eclipse, I already know how to program in java. Just not sure how to start app making.

Got this thing called Android Studio and its making a Gradle or whatever the fuck that is, and I'm trying to design a menu screen. This studio thing lets me pick from templates which is kinda cool.

Should I just copy paste some dudes open source app thats decent looking, and work off of it, or start from scratch?

Obviously I'm not making anything remotely like what they are, but I could copy the already working GUI of theirs and just modify everything to fit my needs. It would be like taking someone elses ship, and piece by piece removing parts from his ship and replacing them with my own until 100% of the ship has been replaced with 100% new parts of my own, then that would be my ship now. Rather than getting all the parts and assembling them together...

Is that a good idea or no

Thought that was a /ptg/ thread for a second.

developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/index.html

your better off starting from scratch. is google as a company has ever done something right, it's their android documentation. but the market is flooded with pajeets that write terrible unorganized code.

ty sir

objectively false, webstack+webview is superioir to java. Reading miles of google guides aimed at 14 year old pajeets is a pain itself + you don't even need native apps in the first place, they are a scam.

>webview
>my apps are literal shit tier
tell me more

exactly, 99% of all apps are shit tier, the remaining 1% miss the point of mobile being a shit tier platform. You don't want to shovel AAA games on a crippled hw and your 5 button toilet app only needs that retarded JS xmlhttprequest to upvote.

Using XML to layout your app when you can just make your shitty html+css or make your site responsive (assuming it is a webapp) is marks of a fool.

The one thing you might need native for is accessing and transferring all the sweet user info to your walled garden to sell it, but probably he will give you anyway if you ask him nicely or there is a JS lib for that.

How difficult would it be to make an IRC app for someone with absolutely no programming experience at all?

>start irc.exe

not that hard, chat is the hello world of web tutorials