I've got a mid 2010, 15" core i5 macbook pro, is there a use for this thing...

I've got a mid 2010, 15" core i5 macbook pro, is there a use for this thing, other than a fucking media server or whatever, or is this kind of thing just best sold to someone who wants a 7 year old laptop with a fucked battery for the price of a more functional, more recent laptop?

TL;DR what worthwhile thing do i do with an old macbook?

take it to the gaybar where it belongs, macfag.

sell it. you will still get decent shekels for it.

/fa/ is over here ---->
and /lgbt/ is over there ---->

Why would you make the effort to list specs? It's not like it's target audience have a clue about what an i5 is or what 15" means.

Um... Linux perhaps? I don't know much about MacBooks, but I'd see how it runs for curiosity's sake.

damn you mactarts get bitchy

if it's a 2010 it's actually got a C2D

already got a linux laptop running nicely

i was just checking to make sure there wasn't something obvious i'd be missing out on by getting rid of a spare laptop

upgrade the ram ($30), put in an SSD ($50), and buy a battery from amazon ($30). then spin it for $500 on the second hand market.

i might be being retarded but im pretty sure the 15" is i5

nope. apple didn't jump to the i series until sandybridge update in 2011.

If that's the case, then yeah, just sell it and get what you can.

I just checked ebay and those things are there for $300+ used.

A battery costs like $30 on ebay. Replace that, give it a little facelift and just sell that shit to poor niggers who want to show off an old ifag machine

Literally the best generation 15" MBP
>Upgradeable RAM - up to 16GB 1600mhz
>Replaceable HDD - Put an SSD in ther
>Replaceable DVD unit - Put a secondary SSD and configure a RAID
>both discrete and onboard graphics - Can play a casual game or two
>complete GNU/Linux compatibility WHILE pleasing aesthetics and durability

what happened with Sup Forums?

its fucked that people are buying this model - it gets kernel panics and straight up dies when it switches graphics cards past snow leopard which makes it basically unusable for a lot of shit

Wrong, those are the ones with AMD graphics, this has Nvidia

Are you the same guy saying its C2D because you're wrong like him

thx for helping me out bois

gpu is 100% going to fail at some stage

More like what happened with Apple to fuck itself like this. No wonder people shit on that pathetic joke of a company for EVERYTHING, even past greatness.

Put it on ebay as "15" MacBook Pro Retina" for $1200 and watch dumbfucks buy it.

>I've got a mid 2010, 15" core i5 macbook pro, is there a use for this thing, other than a fucking media server or whatever, or is this kind of thing just best sold to someone who wants a 7 year old laptop with a fucked battery for the price of a more functional, more recent laptop?
>TL;DR what worthwhile thing do i do with an old macbook?

Yes, replace the battery, install an ssd and it'll make a great linux laptop.
Macbooks are built -almost- as well as thinkpads but Sup Forums doesn't tell you that