What does Sup Forums think of these? Are they essential? Are they even reliable?

What does Sup Forums think of these? Are they essential? Are they even reliable?

I use them for ip cameras around the business. We have massive construction aste recycling equipment on the grid and the camers get fried if they arent behind these.

Just make sure you aim for like double your power needs or youll burn shit out when you actually use it.

Also I tend to use them just long enough to turn a generator on for the servers. Or if no one is here itll tell the servers to shut down when its battery gets low.

>reliable
They are almost always shit after two years.

This.

Also. Go for double conversion.

I always wanted one, but came to the conclusion its not worth spending $100+ for the 1 day a year my power goes off just so I can save whatever processes I'm doing.

No i just go to starbucks

Who cares about that.

It's about protecting yourself from the transients.

Double conversion ftw.

They're essential for "mission critical" operation. Shitposting is not a mission.

It's useful especially in areas of the country that have occasional brown outs, or short power outages lasting under 5 minutes.

For these I can just continue on as I am and wait for power to return.

Well that's what I'm saying, maybe 1 day a year the power will short out for less than 5 minutes. (Probably has been 3 years since it was out for 30mins+)

correct. it's not for the day the power is off (hurricane, derecho, god-forbid-EMP)
it's to protect your equipment from those 1-second blackouts, brownouts, and spikes and unstable/unreliable power.

This is more of an issue if you live somewhere where the infrastructure is outdated, or really remote (rural). I lived in an old house, and the power was extremely unreliable. We often have burst light bulbs, and occasional one-second blackouts. I lost a lot of PC equipment over this (it's gradual, but eventually your motherboard or other components will fail). one day I said fuck it and I bought a UPS. seven years, no problems (well, one failed hard drive, but it was really old, so I don't think it's power-related). Can't tell you how many times in the midst of a drive-to-drive copy, the power goes off for a sec, and I hear the UPS beep (it's kicking in), and that's just a life saver. Of note: the power is more haywire on days of high local usage (snowstorms, hot-humid heatwaves).

sorry for the blog post

They work great in black situations. That being said, they aren't needed for shitposting. Mainly to keep up cameras, emergency programs, a d essential equipment from going out.

> Shitposting is not a mission.
it is for some people. in fact, it's critical for some people.

I wanted to add, laptops are not prone to this problem like desktops because the charger stands between it and the power outlet.

UPS and surge protectors are essential for anyone.
Doesn't matter where you live.

What kind of stupid question is that? Only an idiot would cheap out.

what's there to think?
don't you have one?
>people on a tech board are tech illiterates

can vouch for the rural part. also have had like two or three power outages this year alone. I think my UPS is rated for 800W but the draw during normal usage never really breaks 200W. Only went for such a high amount because of a 750W PSU.

A shit desktop or laptop doesnt need it.

I have one on my nas and the old dell I use as a router. I dont have one on my x99 but next week when I set up a bunch of virtual machines I might just to avoid the chance that some blink or brownout corrupts my fucking install.

why there are no psu combined with ups? it would work like a laptop but for towers, this way it could last much more than few minutes

They're worth it just for the power conditioning. Directly DC powered equipment would be better but that's not widely available in the consumer space.

There are some interesting mods you can draw DC from the internal circuitry and power DC equipment from them. Some people buy or pick up for free these old/used just for the AC/DC conversion circuitry to mod.

Why are people saying not needed and shit?

Let me ask you, when that one second brownout or blackout occurs for any reason ( Not always weather related. ) And it fucks up your SSD / HDD or other components [ Literally takes one time to fuck shit up. ]

You will wonder why you didn't have one then.

I have a apc xs-1500 Before nothing but a power strip.

I live in Florida so lightning and shit is common. But. More often than not power goes out when some raised truck homo crashes into power poles around here or something fucked up. Always on clear sunny comfy days. Never when its storming and lightning wrecking everything.

Neightbor lot thousands of documents for his home business all cause he didn't have anything his pc was hooked up to the fucking wall outlet... Nothing between the pc and it.

This ups handles two pcs / twp 27inch monitors / 1 cintque 27inch / a 7.1 speaker sound system and various equipment, plus a 55inches tv and 4k blu-ray player.

Several brown outs, black outs later nothing stayed on fine. First major black out for over an hour. Continues working on a project, while listening to music and the TV on. Power came back.

Best 180 I ever spent. Protected my shit and kept me working unaffected during a lightning storm and black out.

An XS-1500 would power all that shit for about 5 seconds.

Double conversion doesn't kick in.

It's always kicking. It rectifies the mains and inverts it again.

Also you'll never know when ur PTC on the psu blows cause of no smoke rules. Offline ups don't help much for this type of shit because it has a switching time. Usually less than a cycle but it takes time to detect the transient too.

You know why PC's usually go unstable? Or get "slow" with age? Because the PSU no longer provides stable rails, and the decoupling caps at the atx connection can't take decoupling the lines anymore. Typically if you open the PSU you'll also find swollen caps as well in this condition but that's harder these days cause those chinks are potting everything.

If you give a fuck about your electronics it's double conversion ftw. You can be cheap and go offline, which us your 100 dollar ups, but your mileage will vary.

Or you can just raw dog it like OP. Enjoy your electronic AIDS.

Currently using a APC Back-UPS RS500 from 2004, still going strong. Found it in a dumpster drive a few years ago, replaced the SLA and it worked as good as new. Where I am I get blackouts every few weeks, I couldn't live without it.