If my pc requires 380 watts would a 400 watt psu be fine?

If my pc requires 380 watts would a 400 watt psu be fine?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/Sarkastik378/saved/PQGBmG
amazon.com/dp/B00R33ZBQU/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no

Why would you ever skimp out on the power supply?

yes

then what

Most likely not.
The PSU have several different rails, and those 400 watts is the total sum of em, and you're probably not balancing the load perfectly between em.

then what would be good

read about psus, it's not so simple

unless it's a cheap piece of shit
which case you'll likely need 600

>The PSU have several different rails
this is the most import.
each rail has a specific voltage and amperage, which determines the wattage.

So is it 500 or 600

What hardware are you going to run?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Sarkastik378/saved/PQGBmG

Id advocate for 800 if you ever plan on upgrading. Also what tier eff? Getting gold or platinum will save you in power bills.

Your PC does not "require" 380 watts unless you're using an i9 intel processor.

Find out the TDPs of your processor and graphics card and multiply it by 2. That will give you the minimum PSU wattage you can use, the higher the better (cooler, less noise, longer lifespan) but not necessary.

ie: G4560 + Rx 560 = 134 watts
so you need a 300W PSU as a minimum

yeah dude youre a fucking retard.

is this bait?

Please tell me this is a joke...

fuck both of you

You are physically and mentally retarded. Please delete yourself immediately.

i will delete myself after you tell me how many watts

6 million

Maybe even then it might not be enough.

can't seem to find one can you send a link

400 is just enough. no worries my dude. should cover all your needs.

are you patronizing me?

Why would you even build that?

For your own sake go to the PC building general and educate yourself

400 is plenty
just dont get shit brands like seasonic and evga
get diablotek

no. buy it and be happy.

400 is more than enough

No, you need exactly 380 or else it would overheat and explode.

Gaming doesn't usually hit TDP maximum anyway, only synthetic benchmarks.

Ignore the trolls, the build is fine, you just really can't buy a cheap PSU with that build, it's really important. Also you could change that SSD with an m.2 drive

Post a burner email I'll send you a free 500 watt power supply

This
;^)

JFYI - seasonic makes PSU for a half of school oversrackers brands like corsair and other cockcools.
Same shit with FSP, Delta and Great Wall - despite they're selling mostly server and office PSUs under their own brands, mostly you can buy their PSUs from 100500% berillium certificate shithole sticker applyers.

buy this instead, OP
amazon.com/dp/B00R33ZBQU/

anything less than 80+ Titanium is a complete waste of money. don't you like saving money on your electric bill? this is an investment that could change your life.

Take your max draw and make it no more than 80% of your PSU.
380/0.8 = 475W

So get a 500W PSU and an 850VA UPS

[email protected]

Sweet spot for power efficiency is about 50% of PSU rating.

A quality power supply is the most important thing in the build, unless you want all your components to die in 3 months.

you dont need a 1TB ssd. Get a 120GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB HDD, then use the fuckload of money you just saved to get a PSU that's not shit

if you cheap out on that component eventually it will burn out and if it magically keeps working it can damage the rest of your computer

I mean... If you have 2000 bucks to blow on a PC, one should assume you'd put in the minimal effort to do proper research before purchase. Also
>Home Edition

>4 cores in 2017
>paying 25 bucks for a psu on a 2k build
>paying for windows
>wi-fi
remove yourself from existance

>tfw never had a problem with my 4690K at 4.4GHz and HD7870 powered by a CX430M

get 450-500 just in case you want a gpu

lol who the fuck even picks parts
Buy prebuilt, support the manufacturers

>bloatware
no thank you

No.

'Acceptable' for cheaping out, but not good.

OP, you should always aim for a PSU size double that of your regular full load (not power virus loads or instantaneous power, average full load) - it's the sweet spot on the efficiency curve and it will last - capacitors age over time.

>all these high end components
>cheap as dicks power supply
nigga just stop right now
buy this: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151119
theres a couple of rules with a PSU when youre building a PC

>1) leave a bare minimum of 100w over your estimated power draw
A power supply has a peak output, it cant sustain that output. Having a 400w PSU need to sustain 385w would result in psu failure really quick.
>2) Your estimated power draw is usually an overestimate of max synthetic load but its best to leave that headroom anyway
While pcpartpicker usually gives you an overestimate to cause minimal issues, you may hit that 385w. Especially if youre gonna use an overclockable processor, youre gonna need that extra wattage anyway.
>3) Dont buy cheap shit
Cheap power supplies use cheap components which are prone to failure, they can take down parts of your computer when they fail. Most commonly a failed power supply will kill a motherboard and any drives on the rail that fails
>4) Higher effeciency is better
You got different effeciency ratings, this is about how much of the power is wasted in the form of heat and other little losses. 80+ means 80% of your power is going to be used fine, but at most 20% will be lost. Then theres metal ratings such as 80+ Bronze, Gold, Platinium and Titanium. The higher the rating, the more effecient the PSU, the lower your energy bills, heat output from it and fan noise will be. A really high eff PSU can usually go passive with no fan if its under a certain percentage of load.
>5) never buy chinkshit unless youre under 150w max usage
All those 20$ "650w EXTREME GAMER POWER SUPPLY" units on ebay are garbage, but they'll power like, a Kabini build under 150w fine.

The seasonic i suggested is a decent line in a good brand, its above 100w over your estimated requirement and is 80+ gold. I think it would be one of the better choices for a mid range PSU that doesnt cost a shitload of money.

>all the ayyemdee fags show up to shit on OPs build
it never fails

>intel in 2017
do you like wasting money?

>pcpartpicker.com/user/Sarkastik378/saved/PQGBmG
Forget the other jealousposters.

You need:
- A far better PSU (EVGA 750w Gold for $88 is your best bet)
- To reconsider the SSD options, 1TB of SSd storage is fine, but SSds can fail and when they do it's usually at the drop of a hat, consider a 256GB system drive and a 500GB/1TB storage drive
- Consider Ryzen in your pricing

>ensured updates by the manufacturer

>pcpartpicker.com/user/Sarkastik378/saved/PQGBmG
>Sarkastik
Yeah Mr. Sarcasm, gtfo

What do you think motherboard manufactures do?

>Support some idiots who build bad computers and sell them way overpriced, but then also fill it the default OS with malware and advertising
No.
Business already supports them.

Make stuff for pc manufacturers

Take a shower and then grab the wires in you power outlet. That should be enough.