Can Raspberry Pi 3 be used as a "normal" PC that's usually only used for browsing the net...

Can Raspberry Pi 3 be used as a "normal" PC that's usually only used for browsing the net? The shortage of RAM scares me, especially on bloated sites like Facebook (it's for my mother). Every old backup PC I had died and it seems a waste spending 100$+ on a PC that only ever runs Firefox.

get like a tv smart stick and a wireless keyboard

fuck the pi
wait for le potato

Was thinking the same thing but rather an orange pi pc2 because I wanted to watch videos too.

thinkpad if you don't mind refurbs or your mom typing on dried cum. but seriously spend more than 100$ on your mom you fucking underage jew

go to pc dump store and you'll find ivy bridge oems for less than 100$

'Yes' but it'll suck.
There are other Single Board computers like it that are far better though.
ROCK64 is far better for example.

This is pretty well the best idea though unless you need something under 10watts - just buy a used Optiplex and call it a day, it'll be faster than every single board computer.

Check out the Asus tinker board, it says it can decode 4K but the official os is still in beta

>4x overpriced ARM7A board with currently non-existent software
>paying for ASUS brand name

You're literally as bad as an macfag.

Yeah, it works fine. I'd buy the codec pack for like $2 as well.

But a used Thinkpad will run just as fast and be about the same amount of money.

>Can Raspberry Pi 3 be used as a "normal" PC that's usually only used for browsing the net?

That's why we make web pages more bloated with js and whatnots so you wont :)

Buy a used haswell Chromebox.

I use a raspberry pi for work and sometimes when I'm too lazy to get my laptop and the pi is attached to my screen, I use it for days to google shit. Works really well as an internet machine and to edit code, I don't know what happens with 25 Facebook tabs and a YouTube video in the background though.

Also: in the

Your mom is gonna be frustrated as fuck with a Pi. Get her a real computer.

Is a pi an imaginary computer now?

I tried it but I'd say unless you're super autist who only visits text-only sites, no. Uptime was a major issue, as well. I'd frequently come back to find it had crashed at some point overnight or while I was out. Using the "official" raspbian as well. Also, it can't decode a lot of video so it's useless as a HMPC as well unless you're a streamcuck watching some xvid 240p shit. Even a shitty chromebook is more stable

It's an irrational computer.

Doesn't make it any less real

Just get her an iPad.
Problem solved.

You're thinking of the i(Mac)

What? It does h264 decoding in hardware.

>because I wanted to watch videos too.
So you go with a board that has very bad driver support for GPU and VPU?

Does your mother have autism aswell?
No? Then fuck off with this stupid idea.

Honestly? Yes. I have a Pi 2 and it runs pretty much every basic task like a champ. Pi 3 has a bit more extra power plus built in wifi.

Go for it my dude.

Why so autistic user? I bought one on sale for the price of a pi, it has a faster CPU, twice the ram and gigabit Ethernet. I couldn't careless about the OS because I'm just going to install nextcloud and kodi on it.

>raspi
If you have $100 to spend, consider one of the hundreds of OTT boxes on aliexpress that is better equipped and sometimes ships with Kodi preinstalled.

Unless you're planning on making a custom case and fitting a massive heatsink (when compared to the rest of the board), RPi3 will overheat and throttle very soon while doing basic tasks like browsing the Web. I speak from experience, I have done this exact thing and only after I fitted the heatsink on I get reasonable temperatures (~60'C after 20 minutes of sysbench on all 4 cores) and the Pi is... Reasonably usable. You have to have a lot of patience, it is certainly not what I would call snappy or responsive.
All in all, don't give it to impatient tech illiterates with no patience that expect the magic box to "juts werk xd".

It is usable, but it's slow af

>pc dump store
what is that?

Get a bunch of them and cluster them

Also anyone got a usb hub for power supply that works well with them? I mean a charger with multiple usb that can be used instead of having the regular power charger/power supply? I got three of them so far and plan on getting more to maybe play with just clustering them.

I've seen a lot of shit that they get unstable etc if you use a wrong charger/supply

>Get a bunch of them and cluster them
Yeah, that's exactly what his mother needs. I'm sure she wants to manage a raspi cluster.

it's a bit cool you know because then you can test and code shit aimed at well clustering, setup usb 3 bridges between them because it's rather fast

but I don't want to have like 12 power sockets out from there just to mess alot with openmpi and cluster coding. running stuff like ec would go slow anyways but just to mess with it

Odroid C2

places like good will or salvation army