Tfw you've been able to play any windows game on your linux laptop since 2014 but you just haven't known about it

tfw you've been able to play any windows game on your linux laptop since 2014 but you just haven't known about it

pcworld.com/article/2359241/how-steam-in-home-streaming-can-turn-your-old-laptop-or-windows-tablet-into-a-pc-gaming-force.html

maybe if you're super casual about it. the delay is definitely gonna fuck you up for games where you'd need responsive controls

the delay would be less than even the highest speed server multiplayer game

It's not the direct copper connections that slows you down, it's steam trying to run a game and stream the display signal as with a many struggling bits as it possibly can muster

that'd affect fps not control responsiveness

Someone with a steamlink that is always connected through a gigabit lan connection here.
Even when you fiddle with the settings there is still some noticeable delay to input. Playing counterstrike is out of the question.

yeah well if it's a multiplayer game you're then looking at server lag plus your own lag from relaying the controls to a different device

But the delay is bad enough even when playing singleplayer games. reflex FPS and fighters are out of the question. Even games like Super Meat Boy can be frustrating because even when steam sharing has a perfect setup, there is still just a bit too much lag for those kinds of games.

Visual novels, Puzzle games will be fine. Who gives a fuck.

It does when it takes a quarter second for each input to process over internet

doesn't really make sense if you ask me. Maybe you're just imagining the delay. it really shouldn't be any greater than what you'd have in an online game with really good ping

Why does it not make sense that adding several layers of additional processing would add several layers of additional milliseconds

>doesn't really make sense if you ask me. Maybe you're just imagining the delay
I gave you my first hand experience that was done on an ideal setup. If you look around at all the reviews for steam link/steam streaming people have come to same conclusion. What are you even arguing for?I had my suspicions that you were daft but now this confirms it. Fuck off retard

He's trying to play video games on a Linux machine, let him suffer

Get your delay to steam server, times two, add rendering time. Ever played online with 300-ish ping? This will be the input lag in SINGLE player games.

yeah i guess that's the one possibility here. i guess there must be more than 100ms delay per frame to encode if people think it's worse than online multiplayer responsiveness

It's not frame-based you dipshit
The computer hosting the game, processing everything while rendering a non-native resolution and refresh rate, is also encoding, streaming, and decoding any inputs from your machine, which also has to send inputs while streaming a video in "real-time"
If you think this all happens in a short enough amount of time to not even be visible you're retarded

Basically what I'm saying is switching to 30fps wont solve your problem whatsoever

am I the only one here who wants to lick Klossy's armpits?

Do you really think this is like a multiplayer game? Topkek no. You get your whole picture rendered somewhere else. It's even worse for multiplayer games.

>able to play any windows game on your linux laptop since 2014
Tell me again how good Wine is with DX11 or how PCI passthrough is so much worth it (kek)

...or just play your games on the desktop with Windows in the first place?

Linux fanbois seem so dumb.

What logic do you even use where input delay isn't related to how fast the picture updates on your screen after you move?

so you place no value on jacking off to nier automata while in bed playing on your laptop?

>
>Someone with a steamlink that is always connected through a gigabit lan connection here.

I have steam link as well. It has a 100M lan, so anything over 100M is useless. It works well on lan and on AC wlan

I played with steam in home streaming for a few months. With wired gigabit network I was able to stream 60 fps 1440p between a dedicated windows steam server and a Gentoo desktop. There was latency but pretty minimal. In competitive FPS games I still held top score in some matches. Worked pretty well once I had it going but steam documentation is really minimal and it seems like they are no longer improving streaming features.

PCI passthrough is great as long as you shell out for a high core count Intel. AMD processors shit themselves and 4C Intel isn't enough since I've noticed you have to leave one core on Linux, meaning you can only pass 3 cores.

It should be reversed, reddit.

I've known. I've just found it comfier to use a large screen and control wirelessly when I want to lounge.

>they are no longer improving streaming features
That's not true at all, they just added custom Steam drivers for audio, apparently now they have better 5.1 support and microphone support on Link, though I just use stereo anyway and don't play multiplayer on the Link at all.

I've used Steam in-home streaming, it sucks.

Karlie Kloss is a dumb bitch. Saw her at a tech conference where she was hawking Wix, and I challenged her to the 'first two million primes' coding contest. She said she was busy, but after she was done sucking corporate cock we got lunch and she offered fellate me. Told her off and mentioned to never look at me in public again.

>implying I wasn't doing that since it was a thing

I want her to stuff my face in her armpits after she's had a lot g workout.

No, those look delicious
Any more, OP?