/pcbg/ - PC Bulding General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hcXg9xDze5U
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/PWTgM8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/wip3out/saved/gfKvK8
pcpartpicker.com/list/6wyrFd
pcworld.com/article/2899351/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nvme.html
fsplifestyle.com/PROP163000554/
seasonic.com/product/m12ii-620-evo/
pcpartpicker.com/list/2h4kM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/rTTx3F
cryorig.com/news.php?id=67
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QDgyCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/RMHZYr
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw need more fans, but have to use a fan splitter
Any cons to them?

It works boys, it fucking works. Now all I need to do is cable manage and wait for my RMAd 1080TI to get here, and everything will be done.

forgot picture LMAO

Cable management, depending on the length and size of the splitter
If you're splitting from your motherboard, most fan headers won't support more than 1 amp (12 watts), so don't overload a single header

>GeForce 1060 is too slow
>GeForce 1080 is too expensive
>GeForce 1070 has an uneven digit

NOCTUA IS FINALLY NOT GOING TO LOOK LIKE ASS!
youtube.com/watch?v=hcXg9xDze5U

im actually waiting on my vega to get here
now i just need a pc to use it with...

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/PWTgM8

anything wrong with this?

Hi anons, I'm thinking about getting a R5 1600. Will it be an upgrade from my current i5 4690? If yes, is it significant enough?

Yes and yes

The price difference between the 1600 and 1600X is only $15 right now on Newegg, but the X doesn't come with a stock cooler
If you've got a third-party cooler already which is (or can be made) AM4 compatible, I'd recommend the higher model

Thanks. So what kind of performance increase would I be expected to have? In gaming and video encoding?
And should I pay an extra for the 1600X or is the 1600 good enough?

Ryzen or Intel?

AMD or Intel?

General gaming, programming and blender. Hope to be able to do GPUpassthrough with VMs.

No rush, so if its worth waiting on anything, then that's fair.

Also, what are these m.2 drives I keep seeing round?

Just get a B350 board and Ryzen, the 6 core variant is already smokng the 8350 rig I'm building, it should be plenty.

There's something charming about original Sailor Moon anime's style. Is it nostalgia?

Grats. Integrated GPU's are a godsend for booting your first build.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/wip3out/saved/gfKvK8

any advices?
everyone tells me my psu is overkill and should change it. also idk which cooler should i pick (is on list), can i go more budget?, i want build pc which will last for a few years. i will play mostly games than office work.

M.2 is a new form factor for SSD's, uses a new connector
Lets them lie more or less flat along your motherboard instead of needing to be mounted somewhere in your case
Most new motherboards have at least one, high end boards will have two or three

But as mentioned in the OP, M.2 is a FORM FACTOR
You can find standard M.2 drives which use SATA connectivity (typically supplanting one of the board's standard SATA sockets), or NVMe M.2 drives which transmit data over dedicated PCIe lanes

Is an intel hd graphics card enough for watching 1080p videos or streams?

How much of a bottleneck is SATA3? Will there actually be a benefit of having it connected via PCI-E?

Lmao the 6700k has better graphics than a GT 610 video card.

You don't really get to pick and choose what Intel HD you get, but yes.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6wyrFd

Can I build something better? I have $400 more budget I can use if I have to. Pretty heavy gaming but I do stream occasionally.

Not even sure what intel hd it is, just wanted to know if it sufficient enough to watch streams/yt videos

Yeah it's plenty, even my core 2 duo Dell with 4500MHD from 10 years ago can play 60fps 720p.

pcworld.com/article/2899351/everything-you-need-to-know-about-nvme.html

puh thank you, just to be clear, the rig in question will have 8 gb ram an i5 7400 and intel hd,its for a friend that want really just watch some yt/streams

Seems kind of overkill for the equivalent of a facebook machine.

The only option atm it seems, i would go for a custom build but its just too much struggle to save 100 € and im not that experienced with hardare, minimazing error is top priority i think and if that build posted can watch videos stream reliably at decent resolutions, im happy (and hope he will be too). thanks for input

1600 is good enough if you plan on oc. If not get the x version.

that's good on its own.

Is there any difference in efficiency and OC potential between the 2?

>Paying for Windows 10

Maybe spring for the G.Skill Flare X RAM with better latency
Other than that, there's nothing much else to improve

The X versions may have a slightly higher overclocking ceiling, or slightly better voltages along the way

fsplifestyle.com/PROP163000554/
Is this FSP HD600 a good PSU to get? Or should I pay $25 more to get the Seasonic seasonic.com/product/m12ii-620-evo/ ?

I'll be honest, never heard of FSP before
I'd get a SeaSonic or an EVGA

I have an R5 1600 (pic related)

I haven't built before so I'll ask here instead of being a retard.

The stock cooler has stock thermal paste applied, but build guides show people applying thermal paste between the CPU and mobo (where the connections meet)

will the stock cooler with the preapplied paste be good or will I fry my CPU unless I shill out on some paste between the mobo and CPU?

>between the CPU and mobo

>but build guides show people applying thermal paste between the CPU and mobo
nigga yo serious?
is this bait?

Even though the Flare X is DDR4 2400 vs the Rip at DDR4 3200? Is that difference negligible enough that the lower latency makes up for it? It's only like $30 bucks more though

those are bait videos. you don't put thermal paste anywhere aside from on the cpu heatspreader which makes contact with the cpu cooler.

insert cpu into mobo > put thermal paste on heatspreader (ignore this if thermal paste is pre-applied to the cpu cooler) > insert cpu cooler > screw it down firmly

Shilling out can get a few Cs cooler than stock, good for if you're bored and have some pocket change for it.

That's a great way to completely destroy your system

What's the best 2tb hdd that isn't a wd black? Don't want to spend $120 on an hdd.

2x hgst Ultrastar in RAID

They've got the WD blue 2 TB for 67 shekels.

Those are only 5400 rpm though I think.

is that you backblaze

should i get a threadripper 1950x? how much better will epyc be?

>1300x
just oc the 1200.
sure it's better binned on 1300x, but 100 to 200MHz is not worth it.

1500x is not worth it only, $20 more for a 1600.
1400 is questionable, only $50 for a 1600, just cut something out that can be upgraded later, like ssd.

rx560 is still faster than a 1050.
if you have a ryzen just get an amd card and not deal with nvidia crippling drivers.

What do you plan on using the drive for that benefits from 7200RPM?

>Wake up early
>Feel ominous portent
>Check tracking
>Fedex transferred my package to the post office in the city where I don't have postal service
>Have to call in
>Catch the package as they're about to ship it back
>Go and pick it up
I am going to write a rather unhappy letter.

mostly storage but I don't want to wait an extra minute or two for files to be moved around. might also install some games if my other two drives ever completely run out of space.

I'm just going with a seagate.

Okay, Anons. I need an opinion. My house's wiring is shit. Should I run a series of heavy duty extension cords up under the house feeding to my computer room to provide a solid power pipe to my PC? Good idea? Bad idea? More boobs?

What do you mean shit? As long as you don't pull 1200W from the same outlet you'll be fine.

Fuggg, I'm gonna have to use win10 if I want to take advantage of DX12, ain't I?

I'm using an older GPU so those precious few fps I'd get really make a difference. Is windows 10 really THAT bad? WW/pcbg/D?

If I flick the light switch in the next room over it makes my monitor flicker.

Fuck that, get an extension from the mainline to your apartment or wherever, make sure it's 18 gauge or better

Huh. Apparently reading up, hard-wired fluorescent lights can fuck with RF fields and cause interference. The light being turned on IS a hard-wired fluorescent ceiling light. Guess it's time to replace the entire fixture.

Is it a good time to build a pc?

If you don't want a good GPU, sure

Fuck that too, get LED

No. Wait about a week so Intel rolls out thwir new lineup and then build your PC. This only does not apply to enthusiast level PCs. Since X299, TR4 and Vega are already out.

you can buy a gtx1080 for the same price you could several months ago

i've got my front two fans on a splitter, no problems at all. benefit is that they're always in unison.

pcpartpicker.com/list/2h4kM8

Rate

>pcpartpicker.com/list/2h4kM8

8/10

you can downsize the CPU cooler. something like that would be better on a large chip rather than a 1600.

can't downsize or it wont fit on the motherboard

>tfw all my nearby retailers don't have any good CPU air cooler in stock, even the Hyper 212
Fuck watercooling meme

It's not necessarly bad, but you could get a better performing system if you re-distributed your budget.

Get a 1080Ti by getting a 500GB SSD and a cheaper (but still high quality) case.

Or get a 1700 intead of the 1600, depending on your use.

Also the cooler is a bit overkill.

why?

On the other hand that cooler can last until AM4 dies, so why not. Pop in a 12c/24t Zen3 in 2021, reuse the cooler. Profit

other than the GPU, you essentially have a budget build but you're splurging on a lot of unnecessary stuff.

If you want to save some money, consider dropping the cooler and doing something about the storage. You can get a 240GB m.2 SSD and a 4TB HDD for the same price, or do some other combination to drop the price. Also, you can get similar sounding speakers for less than half that price

im just gonna be producing music, and playing games

then they'd have to get a new PSU, and the 1080ti means a better monitor etc

any cooler you have in mind?

>producing music
I'm not familiar with the hardware requieremnts for this. But It would probably be better to get a 250-500GB SSD and a 3TB HDD to store all the shit you make.

Also the 1700 might be better for music production, but as I said before, I'm not sure about the real hardware demands of rhis spexific task.

As I said, re-distributing the budget to get a better PC. Or at least one that is the most adequate for his needs.

pcpartpicker.com/list/rTTx3F

something like this would be more effective

god bless, user. always nice to see your shit work on 1st boot. what happened to ur 1080 Ti? which one was it

a guy in another thread said a 1600 would be fine
compatibility issues

what compatibility issues?

the cooler can't be mounted on motherboard

any company will send you an AM4 bracket for free

and how do i go about that

cryorig.com/news.php?id=67

if you're interested, you can find a cooler you like and then use a search engine to find a page to get your bracket

so i have to use stock until i get it?

I want to get the Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive for $225.32 for reliability but it would be cool if someone could point me in the direction of a cheaper one they know is reliable

Part 2:
Also point me in the way of a reliable cheap GTX 1080 Ti

Nah, it's a ryzen build so gotta sub in my old 1060 for now.

Thanks lad, had some ram hiccups but all good and running now. Strix 1080ti OC edition that had a fucked fan on delivery, now gotta wait ~2 weeks for my fucked one to return and the replacement to arrive.

Get several Ultrastars and RAID. It's the most reliable way there is.

in hwinfo64, there's this
>GPU VRM Voltage In (VIN/+12V)
row under my rx 560, should the value be as close to 12.000 V as possible? because hwinfo64 currently shows 11.922 as the max value it's recorded since i've started the tool some 5 minutes ago
i guess this reading tells you what voltage the psu actually supplies over the power connector, is that right?
my psu is an evga g2 rated at 550 W

what do you mean?

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QDgyCy
Criticism very much welcomed. I'm aiming for a portable build since I'll be going back and forth when at university, so it has to fit in a suitcase.

The games I play - when I do play - are mostly processor intensive games such as Hearts of Iron or ARMA. I'm not really bothered by graphics so aslong as it is presentable. Apart from that, I'll mostly be using it for research, browsing and playing music.

Mostly wondering if anybody has suggestions for a motherboard, but any suggestion is welcome, as I'm very much an amateur.

self bump.

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QDgyCy

you'd almost be better off with buying a laptop

27" 1440p IPS display or 32" 21:9 IPS display for GTX1080/70. Mainly for vidya and movies.

Maybe an XPS or something is better immediately, but laptops don't last for two years I'm going to need it for. What's so bad about it?

pcpartpicker.com/list/RMHZYr
first computer build, how is this?
Planning on waiting for GPU prices to go down.

That case sure as hell won't fit in a suitcase, try looking at something like the Cougar QBX or even the NCase M1 to go with that ITX board instead.