I want to learn backend web development Sup Forums so I can get a career in the future, is Java a good starting place...

I want to learn backend web development Sup Forums so I can get a career in the future, is Java a good starting place? Why or why not?

Yes. Start building shit in Spring Boot. Another popular option is play framework.

Yes, nodejs w/ express and mongodb is also hot in some circles. But java remains bread and butter for mid-large corporations. And I don't meant small businesses and startups, I mean companies that have been around for a while and employ at least 1000 people.

Also look into java nio. Even if you don't use it on the job it's an attention grabber for getting a foot in the door

If you want money and work on huge, slow and horrible big grey business projects learn Java Spring. If you want to do it while having fun, learn Spring Boot, which is fantastic. If you need SQL learn some of spring-data, which is amazing.

If you want to go all the way and get a bubba nigga penis inserted in your anus, also learn JSF and spring-webflow. Companies will love you.

Java isn't slow, minecraft babby

He's obviously referring to SDLC nigger.

Doubtful. Especially since he uses "spring-data" (actually jpa2) rather than handwritten sql

What is JSF?

Learn Java, Javascript and probably Scala, and learn them well.

Should make you interesting for a lot of web developer jobs, including full time ones (rather than one-off).

Don't bother. Front end should be written in js.

I'm currently in a online course that teaches full stack development mainly focusing on js and node, once halfway through the course I decided I wanted to be a backend developer and want to learn java. Should I continue learning this front end JavaScript cause I will need the knowledge to merge it with backend? Or should I be focusing on java?

Finish learning what you're learning to a degree at which it feels like you can program or hack around in "most" kinds of code, then continue with the next. thing. Be it glorious (but hard) Scala or Java.

>Why
- massive amount of well-paying jobs
- the tech "just werks"(tm) and there's tons of resources online to help you
>Why not
- muh poo in the loo pajeet meme
- muh java is slow meme
- you need some hobbies and/or pushing your career forward all of the time because being stuck in a run–of–the–mill enterprise gig might not be very fulfilling to you (mostly applies if you're relatively high in openness and relatively low in conscientiousness)

learn to suck dick. better pay, better hours

read up on your design patterns. I have just been hired into a job and everyone "knows" java but the code is a mess. The architects had complete control and micro-managed even the developers. I had an arguement with the architect on my first day. it turns out he didn't know any design patterns and thought they were overated - hence why the solution is a mess.

So yeah. Read up on design patterns, you will be ahead of the curve on that - trust me. Also read "Effective java". it helps.

Ok, but can I still be informed on what JSF is?

How do I get paid to suck dick?

Not him

Java server faces, no one uses it. Last time I touched it was in uni years ago

I literally built a whole backend using springboot in one day. Woke up, made my database schema, make my create table statements in a big ass SQL file, set up my SQL server, and made some basic CRUD apis for my models. I used the JDBC approach instead of H2 or hibernate cause I enjoy cucking myself with plain old SQL. String builders and formatters is breddy comfy desu senpai. Literally anyone can get a working we server with REST endpoints up and running in an hour. Most of my time was actually spent just making my models and deciding how I wanted the architecture to be.

For web, look to PHP or C# .NET.

Java is a good language on paper but terrible in practice.

Not by default.

But shitty programming can make a project slow regardless of the language.

And these corporate back-end behemoths are notoriously famous for being slow, undocumented pieces of shit

boring and extremely verbose language.
used a ton in enterprises.
learning it to get a career is definitely worth it, but it shouldn't stay the only language you know though if you want to be a serious programmer.

I do Java backend at a tech company.
I don't really know what Spring is.