There almost seems to be thousands of open source game engines out there, which one's are actually worth a damn?

There almost seems to be thousands of open source game engines out there, which one's are actually worth a damn?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vxf9K1-qlmg
godotengine.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o
godotengine.org/showcase
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

make your own

I've been dicking around with 3D game aet creation and game engines for a couple years now.

I'm convinced the real 9th circle of hell is gonna be forced to collaborate with Sup Forums on creating a game using nothing but blender, gimp and open source game engines. I'd rather scoop my eyes out with corn holders desu.

What are some wise words you would give to newbs?

I have seen game development being discussed on Sup Forums plenty of times without issue.

Everything takes 10x more effort than you thought. Only do it if you really enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it when you tart the learning process, you won't enjoy it later on either.

Watch Youtube tutorials and download commercial tutorials for the software you use. Except for blender and XNormals, use proprietary software.

Don't expect to git gud fast, your first 3-5 years are gonna be the learning phase.

Spend at least 2 hours every day + weekends or you're never gonna make it.

Uhh what kinda game were you working on?

only use an engine that's been used to make successful games
if nobody has made a game with it, don't even bother

Godot is a good engine for beginners in game development. None of that C# bs

I'm doing a "walking simulator" right now, because that lets me focus on creating the assets, graphics, physics, etc without having to much/any character modeling, animation and rigging.

I'm basically trying to push real time graphics, by using 3D scanning to create very detailed assets, baked simulations to create very realistic waves and rivers etc, and very detailed vegetation that is both affected by a sine curve based dynamic wind system as well as player collision. I want the player to feel the wind, smell the ocean, and really experience the elements in a much more impressive way than ha been done so far.

I've always loved computer graphics, so it's really fun to dick around and try to create something that pushes the boundaries.

Something like this is my goal, only better:

youtu.be/vxf9K1-qlmg

Godot 3.0 is the premier FOSS game engine, it's up there with Unreal Engine 4 and Unity 5.

godotengine.org/

youtube.com/watch?v=XptlVErsL-o

godotengine.org/showcase

That's what I thought. A bunch of shitty 2D games.

t. plebbit

best of luck with the game user! here is my wishes that you will make it to the Green Light!

Thanks.

godot and libgdx

Just use opengl

>Watch Youtube tutorials and download commercial tutorials
sabotaged

I'm a massive freetard and I'll admit that making a modern game with free software only is pretty much unthinkable since the gaming industry has zero interest whatsoever in free software, aside from abusing FreeBSD for easy console firmware. Even using different programming languages for implementation is hard as fuck because nearly every API only supports sepples, or whatever unholy summoning ritual the PS3 required. I've even heard that DICE wanted to use Rust for bits and pieces of Frostbite but were held back from it.

That said, only engines ideally need to be free software so it's not impossible in the long term. A full game including assets constitutes art.

there's some reasonable adaptions of id tech engines that try to fix some of the common problems (like fps based physics in id tech 3) but generally 'worth a damn' changes based on whether you give a shit about it having a foss licence or not as there's very few good engines that aren't based on id tech which means there's very few good engines that aren't gpl

last time I looked into this (and this is *years* ago, mind) the reasonable engines were actually 3d graphic rendering engines rather than full game engines, so things like ogre, but the reasonable full game engines were things like the cube/2 engine, jmonkeyengine or something like irrlicht, the problem is all these engines look and feel from the early 2000s which is usually by design as in a lot of cases they try to emulate old school arena shooters like quake 3 so if you don't want to use something licensed in gpl (like id tech) and don't want to have to do a shit ton of work to get something like ogre looking modern or functioning like a game engine, you're probably better off using a proprietary engine that has free access and reasonable licensing plans if you plan to go commercial

is this a criticism of open source game engines or game development in general? because it really just sounds like you're criticising 3d game development from a hobbyists standpoint
while I can understand that something like unity is far nicer than any open source alternatives there's plenty of awful unity games because people simply can't do the backend stuff and can barely slap assets into a simple unity project, the open source alternatives don't provide half of the backend that something like unity does which acts like a barrier to entry - there's a huge amount of work required to get something good out of both types of engines

to add to this post, the gaming industry won't touch true foss engines with a 10 foot pole because their whole business model relies on being proprietary, while foss games can and do exist to some success (nexuiz, etc), no company is going to want to spend hundreds of thousands developing a game where the only thing stopping competitors putting out a clone is some loose trademark and copyright law on assets, and even then asset flipping is an entirely legal path to put out a clone

a modern game in a foss licence can be done but you have to be prepared to sink a shit ton of your own money into it without any expectation of extra investment or return on investment and you have to be better than literally everybody else that is going to abuse your generosity to put out a clone, you basically have to build a community about something you can keep from releasing to the public like an mmo server and even then you'll have to expect people are going to make their own clients and more importantly bots incredibly easily never mind that people can make their own servers, hobbyists make their own private servers for games like aoe online, runescape, world of warcraft etc all the time despite it being in a grey area legally and despite the clients being closed source proprietary and often heavily obfuscated (in the case of runescape)

unfortunately the foss model just doesn't fit well with games

how do you learn that actually good stuff? every tutorial and book i saw so far was for beginner/intermediate. i'm interested in this, but if i see the tutorials that look worse than 2010 games i don't even want to get involved with it, i'm never gonna learn this on my own and if the teacher is shit and just teaching some basic stuff for retards is not very appealing

Cube

look past the first page

consoles are proprietary walled garden cancer anyway, they aren't worth touching

the game industry is filled with clones and abuse anyway, there is nothing specific about releasing a free software game that would make it easier for other people do that
>make their own clients and more importantly bots incredibly easily never mind that people can make their own servers
this is a good thing and should be encouraged

Isnt the unreal 4 engine free to use for anyone now? The source engine isn't bad either.

I know I'm going to get shit on for freedoms and whatever, but they actually work, look good and are easy to use. If I wanted to actually get something done I'd probably use one of them

just realized I missed the open source part, but I'd still probably use one of those

It has always bothered me how, despite the vehement resistant to paywalls and the use of free software to *distribute* mods (i.e. Nexus), taking a proprietary game and modding it remains popular, but not open games that are modular and open by design.
Even polished, modern clones of old proprietary games fail to take off.

>consoles are proprietary walled garden cancer anyway, they aren't worth touching
That's beside the point. I would absolutely consider buying a Switch if it used free software for the OS though, or at least allowed side-loading custom software. It'd be fun to use it as a mobile computer and play some Metroid during downtime.

>every tutorial and book i saw so far was for beginner/intermediate
well obviously, experts don't need tutorials
if you're interested in making a modern-looking 3D game, use unreal engine or maybe unity. if you want to make your own engine, don't except it to have great graphics unless you're willing to spend ten years learning

>passing knowledge is for the stupid people

????

Looks good