Is this the best antivirus there is?

Is this the best antivirus there is?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity
twitter.com/AnonBabble

for windows xp yes

For 2005 yes

What's the difference?

there is literally no reason to be using antivirus in 2017 if you're on WIndows 8-10 or OSX/Linux

I'm intrigued by your comment sir. Do explain?

OSX and Linux have security through obscurity. You have to be pants on head retarded to get a virus on either. MS bundles free WIndows Defender antivirus with WIndows 8-10 and since it's deeply embedded in the OS and not constantly fighting for system permissions and resources it runs way better in my experience.
inb4 >botnet

>and since it's deeply embedded in the OS and not constantly fighting for system permissions and resources it runs way better in my experience.
To add to this, MSE, which defender is based on, was actually better AV than AVG to begin with.
People who disable defender on 8 or 10 and install some third party shit are out of their mind. You literally disable one of the best AVs out there that and replace it with something inferior. Now you not only share your data with microsoft but also with third party, while reducing overall security and lowering performance of OS.

>you have to be pants on head retarded
>macfags are usually college children with rich parents who "want the best for mai chaild :D"
>end up buying them a $2000 Facebook machine
>college child is "bed wit comprenters :D"
>they bring their half a year old MacBook filled with dust, bent chassis, keycaps missing, cracked screen and virus-ridden to me (university sysadmin)
>"cen u fixit xd"
You seriously overestimate the computer literacy of the average macfag.

>his OS is so inherently flawed that it needs invasive real time system monitoring

There's nothing inherently secure about Linux besides the fact no one uses it. It's not difficult to develop a Linux virus, it's just a colossal waste of time

>There's nothing inherently secure about Linux besides the fact no one uses it
You are using it, even if you don't know about it.

total security 360 with bitdefender and avira engines enabled is the best and its free

>ATM machines and cash registers getting viruses

What the fuck are you on? Security essentials was/is one of the worst antivirus programs there is.

Okay maybe Essentials is ok if you use Windows as a user, have enabled advanced was it SEP and use VPN (+Firefox adblocker etc.).

>security through obscurity on open source software
Security through obscurity is shit like using 5 different file hashing algorithms as a password hash.
Or not releasing the code out of fear someone might break it
I get what you mean in that "the only reason Linux doesn't have viruses is that not many people use it" which is also incorrect. Linux and I'm pretty sure OSx install based off of repositories. Meaning you don't install anything by browsing the web. You install something by getting it directly from the creator of the distro, be it canonical, Debian, Red hat, or whatever servers Arch uses. Only way someone could get a virus is if one of their programs has an exploit, be it SSH, bash, or Firefox. But that is also true of Windows.

I thought it was called GNU/Linux.

So it's best to install an antivirus or not?

Not if you're not retarded.

An anti-virus just gets in your way and tells you not to do anything you want to do even though you know what you're doing.

My school forces me to use a mac and it's fucking horrible

fucking shills. That happens when somebody who has no clue about technology does technology decisions

The best antivirus is brain.exe, noscript and adblock

>i refuse to use an OS that doesn't have swiss cheese security and doesn't require a fucking bloatware antivirus program
>it's ok, I'll just use "common sense" while my OS can be infected from fucking images on the internet (an actual security flaw in windows at one time)
If you're on Sup Forums and you don't use GNU or *BSD... please leave. You don't belong.

No. The best antivirus is:
Common sense 2017 + uBlock Origin (with malware domains blocked) + on-time system updates

>implying these engines obscure the fact that total security 360 is still chink botnet

>antivirus
>2017

yeah my machine is so slow with it. I really hope we get faster computers in the future so I can play games while still having an antivirus

/thread

Microsoft Security Essentials. Lightweight and werks great. I use it on my server + all client pc's and I've never had any nasty surprises yet.

I don't use antivirus and I also never had any nasty surprises yet

But as my grandpa used to say: If it works, don't fix it

ms defender is abhorrent for performance. If I dont install a 3rd party av, everything gets noticeably slower

I find the built in Windows Defender is good enough for Windows 8/8.1/10, MSE is good enough for Windows 7.

For the autistic, there are Avira Free, and more recently Kaspersky Free, both of which are better than the bloat and ad riddled shitfest AVG has become.

how do free antivirus make money? Sounds like botnet to me

>using windows

By selling you the more advanced features in their full product suites.

Get you on the free version, tell you to upgrade if you want the more "pro" features.

Sure it is

>2017
>using an antivirus

see

This is why you don't use AVG

This thread is quite interesting.

> anti virus are the real spyware

really activated my almonds

Do we even need AVs anymore? They build them into the OS and avoiding an infection just takes common sense.

>common sense

And a secure system. That means updating it regularly. If your system is vulnerable even common sense won't protect you

I'll go ahead and use this thread instead of starting a new one

If I were to try my hand at cleaning an infected computer, what tool would be better to TERMINATE (not necessarily delete) malicious software?

I'm between rkill and RogueKiller. rkill is nice because you click the .exe and it goes to work, but RogueKiller lets me look at exactly what processes it wants to kill before going through with it.

What do you guys think?

The best way would be to set up a new system .. There is no way to know what kind of viruses a retard can get on his system

See I would prefer to do that but I'm being paid to have the system be "just like it was before all of this bug phooey"

When I uninstall av, I notice that the computer lags a bit. Why is that?

you probably already have a virus which mines bitcoin on your machine

So what should I do?

you should probably remove it

I'm not even sure how you can get a virus unless you're being retarded. If you avoid pirated software (or make sure the pirated software you're getting comes straight from the release group), use a decent adblocker, and keep your web browser up to date, you chances for getting a virus are almost zero.

Those annoying adware toolbars or trial software that come with a lot of freeware and sometimes open source software are a lot easier to get and an antivirus doesn't stop them.

>pirated software

Sorry it can always happen that you get a virus through this.

But normally yes, if you are getting a virus it is safe to assume you don't know much about computers

I was just memeing. I don't know where the lags come from, we need more information about that?
When did it start?
Did you try reinstalling the AV and see what happens?

Comodo.
>Security software firm Comodo, which deals with business solutions, received perhaps the best badge of honor from the CIA, described as: “a colossal pain in the posterior.”

>“It literally catches everything until you tell it not to, including standard windows services (say what?!?),” the documents state.

>not having a job

enjoy your shitty font rendering

ether Microsoft security essentials or no av software

> seriously discussing antiviruses
Are you 60 or 6?

We are Sup Forumsaylords

Windows relies on security through obscurity.
GNU+Linux is open source, and must rely on security through design.
OSX would fall into the security through obscurity and security by minority camps.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity

They couldn't have made their logo look more like a contraction of "Average" if they tried.

Normies do all sort of idiot things.
I have a customer that both she and I love the fact she is using norton.
Norton limit the user so much on doing idiot things they usually do that I'm very happy she don't get virus anymore.

This faggot hasn't heard of ransomware or crypto viruses.

>being stupid enough to get ransomware
Current Sup Forums everyone

wannacry infected either through you being dumb and running it, or you being dumb and not having a fully up to date system.

Both cases are because you were dumb.

Did you even bother reading the little text? AVG sells your browsing history to buyers to pay for your antivirus. Might as well be malware.

antiviruses are bad, they get in the way for my malware

The only good antivirus that doesn’t impact productivity and rape your resources is windows defender. Everything else is for autists and paranoid pedos.

>not using symantec endpoint

antiviruses are botnet and garbage. real time scans slow down computers so they are unusable and sends your files to the company that made the program if it detects something.

Got linux. Here's my worst case scenario:
>Somehow enable scripts so that I can get hit with ransomware.
>Due to firejail, Ransomware encrypts my downloads folder.
>Shift+Delete folder
>Redownload Boston Legal and start my Sup Forums picture collection from scratch.

bitdefender.

All antivirus programs are GSDTPs (government surveillance and data mining programs, look it up). It's been shown time and time again that various antivirus programs, AVG included, 1) are financed by the governments of various countries (AVG is financed by the US government and, to a smaller extent, the British, French and German governments); and 2) periodically copy the contents of your RAM and take screenshots of your display and send these to their servers. Have you ever had the command line come up on Windows when you have AVG installed? This is AVG running its screenshot utility.

*GSDMPs
My bad.

> Linux
> shift+delete
You have recycle bin on Linux?

And by the command line coming up, I mean the command line briefly appears and then disappears.

Yup.

Common sense 2017

That's not even intelligible.

Common Sense 2017 + MalwareBytes + your choice of adblocker