Solus 3

People here don't seem to like solus (insert "go away [some name] meme) but 3 was released a few days ago.

Anyone using?

Other urls found in this thread:

solus-project.com/2017/08/15/solus-3-released/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm using Solus as my daily driver for 3 months now and i can say that it received many improvements with the new update
It uses the newest kernel (4.12.7) now and Budgie changed the most
But it's not the Qt update for Budgie which is planned for the future. It still runs on gtk and looks better than ever before
I highly recommend to try it out in a vm or on a liveUSB
I don't know about the improvements of the Gnome and Mate edition

>insert "go away [some name]" meme
Those kind of posters actually never tried out Solus and just want to keep alive their dead meme

I've been using both Arch and Manjaro for the past 5 years. Tell me why I should give Solus a try. I don't care about DE.

k e v i n
e
v
i
n

Does suspend on lid close work well on your laptop?

The meme comes from Kevin, who used to post his solus desktop, including screenfetch, everyday until we started calling him on it. He stopped once he shared his github and got doxxed.

The legends say he owns a macbook now and is an Apple shill. Thoughts on his recent turns of events?

While I honestly like Solus and Ikey, if you're using Arch, you'll be happier there. If you were a really basic user, I'd say go for it, but as it stands Solus has fewer packages and is always in a state of change within it's core. Ikey has made some great improvements and contributes to the community like a mad man, but I'd wait until things settle down a bit. The final product should be amazing. I should also note that Samba and a few other programs are not available in this distro at the moment, which could be a deal breaker for a lot of users.

I was using Solus and Budgie before switching to Arch actually. Looked nice and was fairly stable (though less so than arch, for me)

Only switched because I'm new to linux and it's a lot easier to find info online for distros that aren't solus. Would have kept using it otherwise.

I actually used Budgie when trying Antergos but it must have been an older version or something because it looked different and ran shittier than the native Solus versoin.

Linux noob here. I've completely switched to Solus a couple of months ago. Solid system. Got used to it quickly and forgot about Windows.

Is solus a small team? I wanted to switch but people always made it sound like a one man show which I'm afraid would be abandoned at some point so never wanted to get too used to it.

Solus is super comfy. Everyone should install Solus.

>[some name]
stop pretending it's not you, Kevin

Solus can be gorgeous if tweaked properly.

When i close my lid it doesn't suspend at all
It just disables the display
But normal suspend works without a problem

Hibernate is what doesn't work so well
Sometimes the display stays off or it reboots the system

If you are already using distros that are reliable for your purposes you shouldn't switch
Solus is still in it's early days but doing a very good job
Also i wouldn't recommend it to a advanced user
It works very well out of the box and compared to other distros you can't customize it so much (speaking about the Budgie version)
It's excellent for new Linux users though

>Is solus a small team?
Yes, just a handful of people working on it. But i wouldn't be worried about the project getting abandoned. Ikey, the main developer, has so much passion for his OS that he quit his job to work full time on Solus

How much of the Solus love is just for Budgie rather than Solus itself?

Kevin goes meta

>Gahoo/leenux can be gorgeous if tweaked properly
ftfy

I could use Ubuntu Budgie if the only thing I cared about was Budgie.

I personally like it for being overall quicker than most distros while still having a complete package of software out the box, all while not feeling bloated. The software repo is a bit lacking at the moment, but they've added a significant amount of software since I started using it about a year ago.

How do you remove a package and its dependencies? Like pacman -Rs

Affen-Suppe
EIN GENUSS

Been using Solus on my laptop for almost a year but I have yet to update to 3.

What's new in budgie?

solus-project.com/2017/08/15/solus-3-released/

(sudo) eopkp remove [packagename]

eopkg* rather

share pape?

Looks really fucking sweet.

To be fair this could be any xfce / kde desktop

>can be gorgeous
>literally worse looking than stock Solus MATE.

Looks worse than stock budgie desu

had solus for a while but then kubuntu happy I switched

I'm fine with Xubuntu.

I'd use Xubuntu in a heartbeat if it wasn't for Xfwm being a screentearing piece of shit. Using Compton or Compiz fucks with muh ricing, so it's not really an option.

I think budgie is best out of the "normal" des like cinnamon, gnome, etc.

Visually, at least.

Evopop is great

FUCK OFF KEVIN

Who?

Solus is the best operating system.

He was always retarded for using chrome and actually installing gentoo and clover os

i still love him though

How is budgie? I'm tired of gnome so I'm thinking of trying it

It's good, fuck gnome.

Is it as bloated and shitty as gnome?

Operationally I don't know, but it runs faster and it's less visually bloated.