/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ro0KT8SA6Lc
imgur.com/a/6CNO8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Seiko is SUPERIOR

Reminder for Seiko fans:
youtube.com/watch?v=ro0KT8SA6Lc

Agreed. Understated horological virtue instead of flashy Rolex crap for rich stock brokers who don't even know anything about watches.

>Faggot got beat to making a new thread
Lol

Seiko is indeed a very respectable brand.
They made the first quartz watch and they make tons of mechanicals with in-house movements and original designs too. All the admiration for Seiko, they are the undeniable kings in their price point.

Seiko is KING

>wristlet wearing their watch on their hand
checks out

Agreed. Look at how much watch you get for $4500. If you bought a Swiss watch for almost $5000 you'd get something small and feminine looking. Tiny watches for men with tiny wrists. And maybe something else tiny LMAO

Where's your wrist bone?

Every quartz clock I've ever come across has a piece of shit inside it like this. Loud, unreliable plastic turds.

Does anyone know of any jeweled quartz clock movements with metal gears and plates? Current or out of production, but preferably current?

Leaving aside that I'm fat, I always take watch pictures with the face tilted back from the camera to minimize reflections, which tends to obscure my wrist bone in photos.

why don't you just skip breakfast/dinner like everyone else, fatty

Anything from a decent brand. Stop getting memed by Sup Forumstards who think quartz is bad. It's bad because they can't afford nice things and like to pretend their fucking vostoks and seikos are works of fine art

Clocks, not watch movements, dipshit.

You get what you pay for when you get a quartz watch. A 100 dollar Casio G'shock will lose less than 10 seconds over the course of a week (and many models will negate this via syncing with the atomic clock). But that 10 dollar no-name watch at Walmart will be off 10-15 minutes per week.

The absolute state of /wt/ eh?

I tried doing a little googling and didn't find anything. I'll dig around a bit more and see if I can find any non shit quartz clock movements. What size of clock do you need a movement for?

Wow. Just wow.

Why is /wt/ filled with dummies all the sudden?

You can literally get a chink sweeping seconds hand clock movement for less than a dollar.
You can buy a seiko wall clock that looks pretty much like a Seiko wrist fedora (with or without lume) for about $50. Ronda also makes clock movements so there's that.
Try looking a bit.

>Come to a watch thread
>Ask about clocks
It's not exactly like you're in the appropriate thread, and the image you used looks like it could be the back of a really cheap watch.

>why is everyone stupid except me
Because pic related, Einstein

I need an analog desk/alarm clock that isn't loud as fuck. Apart from mechanical wristwatches I only have LCD clocks in my room since the 1s ticking drives me nuts at night. So far I'm only researching if these even exist. I'll try looking into early 70's stuff, when manufacturers haven't yet figured out how cheap they can make them. But I recently worked on a 1975 Seiko wall clock and it already had this kind of movement.

>seiko
Nope, still about the same. Same size format, materials (ABS, nylon, etc.), same jewel count (0). Same for Hermle, Junghans, UTS, etc.
>Ronda also makes clock movements
Not that I'm aware of.
>sweeping seconds hand clock movement
Maybe that's a solution but I heard people hearing the buzzing at night.

>It's not exactly like you're in the appropriate thread
Back to r/watches.
>the image you used looks like it could be the back of a really cheap watch.
Back to r/watches.
Back to r/watches.

I'm banned from there because I shat on too many blatant advertisements

Also pro tip: a cell phone can serve as an alarm and you can control the volume

>search
>silent clock
>1000000000000000000000000 results
???????????????? are you dumb?

what differences am I supposed to be looking at? don't know what equates to better finishing. some examples would be nice

The silent ones don't have horological virtue. I need horological virtue because I appreciate horology

Go back to /r/watches

>screw down crown
>not assembled by malaysian children and the bracelet attached by japanese robots therefore qualifying for "made in japan"
>chronometer spec
>reasonable size
>has resale value
Lol who needs that shit. Rolex sucks, go for the one with the misaligned date wheel because that is true horological virtue

It only looks like a lot of watch because you have tiny wrists my dude.

jlc atmos

Well the original Junghans Astro-Chron might fit the requirements, it's jeweled, metal and it's balance driven. Too bad it probably costs a lot now.

Also look at that stack of PCB-s. Is that the fucking binary counter? Build from discrete components? Fucking amazing.

>ever going to Reddit in the first place
Well you can fuck off from here too.
These are sweeping designs, dummy. At night most can be heard. Also they're shitters. Stop pretending this isn't your first week here.

Forgot pic. Seriously, look at this shit!

The SARX in the middle has much crisper edges than the SARB on the left, its more challenging to machine a crisp edge with a transition between brushed and polished finishes than to machine surfaces with heavily rounded shapes and corners.

The SARX also has many more transitions between polished and brushed finishes, better integration between the bracelet end links and the case lugs, more complex to machine bracelet link shapes, and a better quality of brushing applied to it.

Its therefore obvious that the SARX case and bracelet take a lot more work to produce than the SARB bracelet and case.

Any pics of the vertical parts, the electronics obscured by those resistors I mean. I'm interested in the circuitry they used.

Too expensive. Is there anything from vostok, orient, or HMT?

I was here first, neener neener neener

Not really. I don't think anyone who has one dares to take it apart. Though I have seen schematics of generic binary counter circuits online.

GE telechron

t. fat fuck

What sort of outfit do I wear with a G Shock so I don't look like a fucking nerd?

the ones that plug in, that is

A hoodie, a deep V t-shirt, and green skinny jeans all from Uniqlo's spring 2010 collection
Chunky black eyeglasses from Warby Parker, also from 2010
Bright red Dr. Dre brand headphones
An iPhone 2, with a cracked screen
Sneakers that cost more than your entire outfit
And a police summons for jumping the turnstile

Watch repairerer here. AC clocks legit scare the shit out of me. They're very interesting but I don't think I'll ever work on one.

Thanks for the tips.

Thoughts? I'm a sucker for guilloche dials.

What are you wearing today?

I think they're all pretty nice in their own way, I just made that comparison because I wanted there to be at least a single decent comparison since this general loves to lose its shit over >muh finishing quality

why

too big for a dress watch

>too big
It's 42.5 mm wide. I think if anything it's too thick. not too wide.

>42.5mm
>not too wide
do you have a thyroid disorder?

Because they literally run on AC power. The only way to test them is to have them electrified with 110V AC. I ain't poking around in that shit.

Also I live in a 220V/60Hz country and most AC clock manufacturers were American I believe.

42mm is pretty much smack dab in the middle of watch dimensions, dude

I mean 220V/50Hz. I don't live in Peru.

So what? You'd have to be a retard to electrocute yourself.

reddit.com/r/watches

A lot of people wear light brown shoes with dark blue suits too. I bet you're one of those people.

I don't like it particularly aesthetically, but I don't tend to like Orients.

SDGM003 today, speaking of guilloche dials.

Are there any good Speedmaster homages out there? Preferably around 200 bucks.

t. poor

/wt/ isn't for you, newfriend.

>that date window
>sun/moon instead of moonphase
>random screws on the dial for no reason
Apart from that, it is pretty nice. Beijing watch factory makes some nice guilloche dials you might check out.

t. wristlet.

No good lighting, but Alpinist today

THIS. Thank you for filling in for me while I wasn't around to blow out this weeb.

>You are at the baselworld watch show and this guy comes up and slaps your wrist, calling it fat.
What do /wt/

Bulova moonwatch

did ninefag finally drop trip?

>tfw no white dial alpinist

How did he lose all his gains?

The 4s15 white Alpinist is also my favourite. They come up on Y! Japan Auctions pretty regularly for around $500.

Lung problems

Only if it is a Grand Seiko made and bought from their Japanese flagship shop senpai

is it really worth overhauling an eta 955?

seems like you could buy a new one for cheap and just change the omega engraved bridge.

you have no fucking idea what you are talking about as usual.

Casio WV-59DE-1AVEF, the pinnacle of the classiest digital watch?

The black one second from right looks interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the "every other hour marker is a number" thing DESU, even if on the Alpinist it's actually kinda bearable.

what gains?

Drunk on wine

That's lucky, they've just opened a GS boutique store where I live.

Doesn't look as good as Perpetual watches tho

Another excellent and informative contribution to /wt/. Would it be too much trouble to stop shitting up the thread with your samefagging garbageposts and actually contribute something to the discussion?

Mr. Fancy Pants there

you
are
a
faggot

spend more on wine than vostoks. that's the spirit; i do the same.

Can anyone identify the movement in this 1950s Accurist I recently bought?

feels like bait to weed out/trigger all the seiko fags

RUSSIA STRONK

Should buy one of these "minimalist" watches? I quite like how they look but is yet to look at one hands on.
pic related is from "Linjer" Also considering the instrmnt watches

imgur.com/a/6CNO8

If you're going to get one of those hipster minimalist watches, at least only spend like $2 on one of those DW fakes.

it's a quartz.

What do you guy use your mechanical chronograph for?
I use it for chronometring my coffee like TGV, my frozen pizza in the oven, and my morning shit.

>timing fap session length

Don't lie, you do it too.

>frozen pizza
PURE CLASS

Seiko King Quartz or SARY055?

Are their King-series good?

KING QUARTZ
really, its versatile, good looking and nice and thin

I tried finding it, but no luck so far. Looks like it's a center seconds movement, right?

Also oddly it has a left-handed balance cock, which is unusual for a Swiss movement, it's more of a Japanese thing.

Do you actually have the watch? If so there should be a manufacturer marking on the mainplate, under the balance wheel.

a rotating bezel basically performs the same function

Can somebody help me out?
I need a watch that is reliable, has perpetal calendar, a chronograp and a alarm complication.
Preferably under 100 USD.

Alright, here's what I found out.

It's an Adolf Schild movement, though I can't tell you exactly which one. It's from the same family as the AS 1187, so it's a 1950's design.

Thoguhts about G-Steel watches?

How on Earth is it even possible to have so many scratches inside?