Lol what the fuck Sup Forums? Is this guy serious? Tell me he's trolling, no way he's fucking serious right?

lol what the fuck Sup Forums? Is this guy serious? Tell me he's trolling, no way he's fucking serious right?

Fuck off larper

You overestimate people.

go ask him, retard

>no CLI utilties like coreutils
>impossible to find to to configure something as simple as partitions
>try to change filesystem from ntfs only to find out you can't
>trivial stuff in linux only exists as a bloated gui in windows, if at all
>once installed, have to deal with asinine problems like telemetry baked in, shitty ntfs filesystem restrictions, and so on
Windows is only easy to the illiterates who tap apps on their smartphone, because they don't actually use Windows for anything. Trying to make Windows work and its restrictions is so much of a headache that most people just switch straight to a Linux distro and never look back.

Windows isn't really hard, it's just an enormous pain in the ass. You can tell it came out of an organization like Microsoft where different teams do things in different ways at different times and everything gets awkwardly bolted together for release. And where they make big, enterprisey GUIs for things in preference to command-line tools, text config files, etc.

Programmers in the Linux world (usually) make the software that they want to use. Microsoft makes what they think other people want to use. I guess it'd be great if you have lots in common with what people in the MS marketing department think people are like.

Windows is easy because it's what you've used your entire life. You probably tried out linux at one point, but expected everything to be handed to you like your retard-proof iPhone, so you just went "this is different, I don't want to learn it, this is a piece of shit"

Installing a printer under linux easily takes up a whole weekend.. And when you're finally done, it's probably not gonna work anyways.

>The current state of linux

I plugged in my printer and then I was done and I could print things from my applications. I didn't even have to go hunting for drivers like I would have on windows.

yep he is trolling them

>it just werks.
that's a nett virgin faggot talking, trust me on this.

But he also has a point, installing a distro like ubuntu will also preinstall the required drivers to make your computer work out of the box without problems.

That's how you attract normies into computing. Most of people won't be interested on how to compile a kernel or reading the documentation needed in order to know how to control things properly.

Windows is incredibly difficult to use for people who actually expect to control their computers

>buy masterrace Brother laser beam printer
>drive home
>take it out of the box
>plug it in to the wall for power
>connect it to wifi network
>type brother into package manager for driver
>use print manager to type in the device URI
ezpz

Why would he be? Setting up windows 7 is time consuming as fuck. You need to fix windows update (which is permanently broken because microshit doesn't give a fuck about you streetshitters), install all drivers and essential software. Then configure OS to not be shit.
Compared to this, installing linux takes 30 minutes to have something that just werks.
Now, on the other hand if something doesn't just werk on linux, it's much more time consuming to fix than it would be on windows, but as long as your hardware is well compatible it's easy and fast.

>but expected everything to be handed to you

I don't have time for mundane tasks, I need to get up and running fast so I can start working. Setting up the environment should take a couple of clicks, everything else should be taken care of automatically under the hood.

>Compiling my own drivers or software.

Are you having a laugh, m8?

>Install cumulative update from pre-downloaded file
>Install software with one click from your ninite .exe
>Configure OS and install drivers

With an SSD, it's done in less than 30 minutes.

That's funny.

My dad bought a Brother printer and asked me to help him set it up in his office. He uses linux. I plugged it in, and it worked. Then my mother asked me to make it so she could print files without needing to plug in cables. She uses Windows 10.
>"Okay, cups can do that"
>[test it on my linux laptop, it works great.]
>[test it on my brothers mac, it works great.]
>[test it on my mothers laptop.... oh wait, cups doesn't work on windows]

>"O-Oh, maybe SAMBA can do this."
>[test it on my linux laptop, it works great.]
>[test it on my brothers mac, it works great.]
>[test it on my mother's windows laptop... DRIVERS?? U GOT SUM DRIVERS????]
Inexcusably bad.

apt does it in half the time on an HDD. and apt is famous for being slow.

>Now, on the other hand if something doesn't just werk on linux, it's much more time consuming to fix than it would be on windows,

But user, nothing "just werks" on linux. Everything you want to do requires you to write a fucking novel in the terminal.

You clearly haven't used linux and are just meming. A linux install takes FAR less time than windows does.

>Compiling my own drivers or software.
I've used solely linux for 6 years now and have had to do that maybe twice for some very obscure games

>Everything you want to do requires you to write a fucking novel in the terminal.
People still actually believe this

My entire job boils down to using Linux to back up and repair Windows systems.

I use CentOS on a weekly basis. A linux install is faster, but that's because I can't do shit on it, so I don't need to install a big graphics driver, large software installs etc.

>I don't have time for mundane tasks, I need to get up and running fast so I can start working. Setting up the environment should take a couple of clicks, everything else should be taken care of automatically under the hood.
then you would love linux

I was born in 83, grew up with DOS and Windows from 3.1 on. Linux is 100 percent easier than Windows, and has been since about 2006.

i lol at faggot kids on Sup Forums who think running Linux makes them smart computer guys

printers are much easier to manage with cups than wangblows, it gets disconnected for no reason and never tells you if it's working or not

>just spend hours setting everything up beforehand and it's easy
Amazing. This is the power of a windows brainlets. If I was a tech janitor installing windows 7 on work PCs all day I would bother preparing shit like this. But I'm not, and my experiences with windows 7 installs were always unpleasant as fuck, to the point that I wonder why there are people who still defend this garbage.
In first place, how is having system updates out of fucking box even acceptable. But I guess you can just prepare all updates before hand and have it fixed quickly, all the while gobbling that microsoft dick.
Or you can install OS that isn't broken the moment you install it.

>a distro like ubuntu will also preinstall the required drivers
the linux kernel itself has almost all the drivers you need, windows doesn't

>Google a problem on linux
>Find a solution
>It's 8 pages of esoteric terminal commands

what were you trying to do

>google a problem on windows
>find no solution
>it's 8 pages of people saying "that's just the way it is"

>he can't copy and paste text

I remember that time, setting manually IRQ for Sound Blaster in order to get Doom running. IDDQD etc.

If you have an experience with Unix-like systems and CLI which follow standards, Linux/BSD is much more transparent and straightforward in configuration and installation, a GUI usually only confuses and complicates things.

now does everyone see why i hate living in this autism country.

>>no CLI utilties like coreutils
Windows 10 provides linux kernel emulation :)

Microshit windaids is pure trash, deal with it wincucks.

>get win10 with creators update
>4 hour install time
>6 hours of updates which use up nearly all the resources
>another 2 hours installing the new updates when trying to turn off the computer
>still not the latest graphics card driver anyway

I am her on arch, but I installed quite a few win machines

currently with win10 you dont even need to hunt for drivers
and cummulative updates remove the shitty, update, search, update, search, update, search, of finally that was all

in matter of 10 min you have installed win10 on an SSD

sure there bullshit from store preinstalled but how else can microsoft make enough money and not look like little bitches?

anyway, I recommend win8.1 if you dont need dx12 for gaming

He's right you know.

I work at a local repair place and working with Windows day in day out is hell.
So much shit can go wrong and on most consumer PCs it's less hassle to reinstall the whole OS.
And even then you have to deal with drivers.
Lots of laptop manufacturers are just burying their win 7 drivers so if someone wants it: Here it fucking comes.
10 is easier to install, as long as your install doesn't randomly decide to start speaking all Cortana mode to you and pissing you off by blasting that janky female voice at 100% volume throughout the shop as it installs and no goddamned keybinds can turn any of the fuckers off-

I can stick linux on a single PC, apt-get update and apt-get some essentials and it's good to go. It doesn't stall, works well on HDDs, and can be repaired even in the event of hard disk failures.

Overall, I'm not impressed with how windows has progressed.

No it doesn't, wifi support is still trash.

>using random chingchong hardware

tfw this is actually true

I've fucked with a lot of laptops.

Windows nearly always misses a few drivers and it's especially fun if they're network related so that way it cannot even search the web for them.

Linux has only failed me in this respect in Live-CDs where they have to cut down drivers to get it to work in around ~2-4GBs worth of space for the whole OS.
Everything else worked on install.

It's not 2009 anymore, linux natively supports all major wlan chips

post speccy and upload/download speeds from speedtest dot com. I bought windows 8 at a discount for the free upgrade to windows 10 and everything proceeded in a timely fashion. if you can't install the most recent version of windows then you might as well just kill yourself because a relative normie like me was able to do it with ease

Until X is replaced since it's a flaming pile of trash then Linux is never easier to install. You still get screen tearing on pretty much every DE, forcing you to either install Compton or write some batch file you copy/paste off the internet. Furthermore there's no standard vsync so you have hundreds of forum posts complaining about Youtube videos and webpages tearing as well, and support for anything over 60hz is wonky as fuck. Firefox support is ok while anything Chromium based is completely broken on Linux. X is the single greatest problem with Linux and honestly I'm not that impressed with Wayland either.

But he's right. Linux is easier to use than Windows. Windows doesn't even have proper logging.

*regressed

>Until X is replaced since it's a flaming pile of trash then Linux is never easier to install.
Linux's biggest problem is package managers are garbage for regular desktop usage. They should implement a drag-and-drop apple style installer

>being this much of a brainlet
We're talking about using good software not catering to mac toddlers.

Flatpak is working on this.
>distro agnostic from Alpine to Ubuntu
>double click to install via GNOME integration on recent distros
>sandboxed via namespacing
>devs can trivially host their own repos or use flathub.org
>per user installs, no need for root

I've never had a single wifi dongle/chip work out of the box with Linux except one that explicitly said it worked on Linux. That's the only one that was supported in the kernel.
1. Wired device from Best Buy. Didn't work at all, some forum post recommended I install the Windows drivers through Wine, tried and almost bricked the device. Luckily draining the power, booting into Windows and installing the drivers there brought it back to life.
2. Some OEM wifi chip inside prebuilt. No support at all.
3. Panda Wireless, seemed like some sketchy Chinese thing but ended up working out of box. No complaints except kinda cheap, ended up breaking after a year or so.
4. Another mobo wireless chip, only had drivers for 8.1, didn't support anything else, not even Windows 10 strangely.
5. Current USB device, claimed to "support" Linux, but would only work for 10 minutes before entering sleep mode. Had to manually disconnect and reconnect. Found out support in the kernel has been broken for ages and never fixed, had to download other driver, probably proprietary, and blacklist the driver inthe kernel.

Fuck Linux wifi support.

If you had used the linux subsystem on Windows 10, you would realize that it's complete trash.

>buy hardware that doesn't say it's supported under Linux
>get mad when it's not supported under Linux
The problem is you.

Real today support for windows 7 is nightmare.
Windows 10 is perfect on it,Linux is good

You can't say Linux supports everything if you still have to spend hours looking for something that natively supports it. Kernel wifi support is nonexistant, like I said I bought a wifi device that specifically said it supported Linux only to find out it didn't. The kernel driver didn't work, this issue is well known and yet nothing changes. I was lucky someone had the real driver in the AUR. It shouldn't be a gamble to buy a device that works without a kernel hack or using Wine.

Depends what you're trying to do with it. I use it for git, C development and debugging, and testing stuff on a local webserver and I haven't encountered any sort of issues.

>someone had the real driver
So it was supported albiet not out of the box which is annoying. What device was it? I've installed various linux distros on plenty of laptops and everything worked fine. Granted, most of those were intel chips which has excellent support.

>leddit

>lol what the fuck Sup Forums? Is this guy serious? Tell me he's trolling, no way he's fucking serious right?
It's the same for me. WIndows is just shit and annoying to maintain. Latest windows (8 to 10) are a disaster. They are making things harder to find (configuring it, modifying a setting...) and they are closing more and more the OS.

Linux just werks despite what most windows users wants to believe. You just have to deal with it.
All linux needed was a better support from some companies, and we got that for a few years now

>Now, on the other hand if something doesn't just werk on linux, it's much more time consuming to fix than it would be on windows, but as long as your hardware is well compatible it's easy and fast.
on top of that, if there's something to be fixed on linux, you know you can do it, and the fix will last forever.
In the other hand for windows, sometimes you never know how / why / what the fix worked and more importantly, it can just happen again for no reason (with the fix not working this time).

It's an Asus model, I needed to download the rtl8192cu driver I believe from the AUR, the current kernel driver doesn't work properly. I'm assuming it's available on other distros as well.

X is not a problem for linux adoption. Of course it's dogshit and should be replaced asap, but there's more important.

Packages managers are great and I hope they'll stay forever. It's one of the best feature linux has over windows or mac.
You're right that for normies, it's not really welcoming, but in this case, they should just provide a GUI that gives the most basic functionalities of the package manager. And if possible a nice picture and a sign saying "trusted software" or something like that for the "important" software normies might want to install (text editor, office, web browser, music/video player...)

>he doesn't have a prebuilt image/recipe for his many CentOS installs.

Learn how to do your fucking job

linucks is the new mac

Hey look someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

This. Installing ubuntu on a random notebook gives me more driver support out of the box than a fresh windows install. Linux just works. Now if only gpu drivers weren't dogshit and wayland was mainstream...

I also want open source Windows. I don't hate the NT Kernel or Win32, I just hate what MS has done to it.

This. Msys 2 is better. It even has a package manager.

Get real Satan. Package managers are pure sex and honestly one of the biggest reasons I'll never go back to Windows.

macfag here
I find linux easier than windows also

As mentioned Windows update is completely broken in 7 and 10 still has too many catch up updates after an installation.

With Linux you get the latest version as soon as you install. After that a sudo update(whatever the command is) will get you up to speed with no restart.

Troubleshooting on Linux is a massive pain but in terms of daily use the OS is much more userfriendly as long as you don't have to go past basic terminal commands. More of a testament to Microsofts failures than Linux's successes but still. On Windows you have to deal with registry editing and the like, for example to disable Cortana. You don't have to do that on Linux. Assuming it works as intended after an install with no driver issues etc(which it often doesn't, but assuming it did) I definitely find Linux easier to use.

Linux Just Works™ until you have to configure something.
Just disabling the retarded middle click on a buttonless touchpad is an adventure.

this guy gets it

>werks

It's a troll.

install something not on the main repositories

After a certain point most wifi chip makers cheaped out and stopped including a ROM to contain the chip firmware. The OS had to upload it to the chip RAM on every boot. It was literally illegal for linux distros to distribute the firmware. Thus, Linux wifi was a pain for some time.

>I didn't even have to go hunting for drivers like I would have on windows.

>Connect printer to Windows machine
>windows begins searching for drivers
>within a few minutes Windows either finds and installs them, or tells you to insert the disk that came with the printer
>insert disk
>drivers installed
Your right it's nearly impossible to find drivers for shit

>install windows
>no Ethernet drivers out of the box

Why is that exactly? As far as I understand there is only a dozen controllers out there. So what gives? I hate installing drivers.

>windows begins searching for drivers
Kek. I bet it's doing the same thing as when it says it's "fixing your issue" or "checking disk"

As long as your choice of linux implementation is stable on your hardware, it shouldnt be difficult.

Compiling the programs properly to take advantage of your specific hardware reduces processing time and makes it more efficient, in the long term it's much more effective for the hours sacrificed setting things up.

Assuming your choice of implementation is stable.

That explains why my printer doesn't print anything on windows (it just take the paper and it goes out blank), I've tried letting windows 10 to download the drivers automatically and installing the fucking HP suite without luck i though that the printer was broken but tested it on linux just in case, and for some reason it just works.

Now I've it connected by usb to a router using dd-wrt and works like a charm on all PCs

>No it doesn't, wifi support is still trash.
Sometimes is the other way around.

Windows 10 without official website downloaded drivers can only use the 2.4 ghz band on my wifi adapter and it drops every 10-15 minutes, on linux it works with both 2.4 and 5ghz without dropping using the default drivers.

>Linux is user-friendly

>just werks

Dumb faggot gave himself away so easily.

He's not wrong

use appimage

use a VM and export your files into pdf format and print it inside winxp

people who use windows must actively work their way around it in order to find any use in it. Those who use linux have stared into the abyss and have seen what windows really is. A horrible, inchorrent mess with little to no functionallity. ffs 'everything' can search an entire drive in seconds while the built in seach function in explorer takes 5 minutes to do the same. With less software, you can find a plethora of different uses that achieves a wide range of tasks in linux. When you do things the windows way, simple tasks become needlessly complex.

uhh no, you just find it on the network hit it and done

If you can, switch to a less shitty distro because
1. your repo should contain everything you need
and
2. if your repo does not contain something you need/want, using a different repo to get that thing should be painless.

take apt for example. adding repos is as easy as one command that you copy/paste

take pacman. They have the AUR as a miscellanous repo, or Stuff that's still fairly new in the realm of software