What are the cultural differences between Spain and Portugal? If you speak one language, can you understand the other?

What are the cultural differences between Spain and Portugal? If you speak one language, can you understand the other?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iCWrjt8hCZk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Spanish is the language of his country
>he doesn't know

wew

Portuguese cry when they get beat by a more strong team

Portuguese hate when they win a game against a more strong team

They are pretty autistic; always silent and respectful to the point that they look naive and unwary.
They are also chronically sad.
You'll be able to understand Portuguese if you speak Spanish and viceversa.

Portugal likes fish
Spain likes tomato

Spain likes it shaved, Portugal likes it really bushy.

>being this buttmad
You took out our best player and got rekt by our worst KEK

>autistic
>not spanish
Pick one.

Portuguese are respectful and nice people, spaniards are arrogant fucktards that act nice.

We also hate eachother.

Less than you would think

>>autistic
>>not spanish
>Pick one.
I didn't use it as an insult, my clearly autistic friend. I mean that you guys are socially awkward, to the point that you make Germans look like social geniuses.
You guys feel uncomfortable when there are Spaniards around because you feel we "are loud", you act way too respectful to the point that you look like servants.
This are not insults, these are just facts about how Spaniards see you and feel in Portugal.

>We also hate eachother.
We don't hate you tho

Spaniards have always been cunts to me and i've never been disrespectful to them. And no, not a few people. It was more like a whole city full of cunts.
We are the Japan of Europe when you're China culturally speaking.

It's almost time for a siesta Diego.

>We are the Japan of Europe
>when you're China culturally speaking.
Culturally is not the word you are looking for, it's "socially".
>It's almost time for a siesta Diego
I don't have siestas, Joao.
Just look at yourself, you are so autistic you got mad at nothing.

portuguese people are more melancholic,sad,cold and very respectful.
spaniards are the opposite
ARRIBA AYAYAYAYYAYYYYYYYYYYY CHIHUAHUAAAAAAAAAA

>tfw nordic women expect me to be the stereotypical latin: extroverted, daring and basking with confidence
>tfw they realise we are finnish-tier autismo

It's that disgusting yellow in your flag. It triggers me.

4 more minutes for your 5'o clock siesta.

We don't hate you lad, you are the Best neighbors

>It's that disgusting yellow in your flag. It triggers me.
It's arguably supposed to trigger you, the only reason is there is to pop out in the ocean.
>4 more minutes for your 5'o clock siesta.
It's 6 o'clock here, and, again, I don't have siestas.

Diego stop making a birra, go have your siesta. It's almost dinner time.

>Diego stop making a birra
We only drink with friends, drinking alone is a pathetic non-Spanish thing to do.
>go have your siesta
Siestas give severe headaches.
> It's almost dinner time.
Not even close, call back in like 4 to 5 hours.

Birra in portuguese is only used as slang for beer, its more common use is for when kids are acting out with you will stop doing after your siesta.

>drinking alone is a pathetic

No it's not you FUCKIN NORMIE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

wich**

But I'm not going to have a siesta.

you can read porch if you speak spanish, kinda hard for a non native to understand portuguese tho

Come to Porto, i will drink with you.

>mfw i actually live near Porto

Why is this board full of Nortenhos?

What do Portuguese people feel about the fact that they spawned a gigantic country with a huge population and important economy, while they themselves are still tiny and irrelevant?

this.

On the paper are highly intelligible, but as far as listening comprehension goes, a Spaniard has real trouble understanding a Portuguese. Funnily, Brazilian Portuguese is more understandable.

t. Spaniard

En Alemania usan lavavajillas así que eres ingeniero no? Por que todos los canis se van a Reino Unido? Antes era irse a trabajar a la obra ahora es Reino Unido xdxd

According to my Portuguese family, Spanish sounds like a slowed-down version of Portuguese with some minor things changed. They say that they can understand Spanish people fine, but Spanish people cannot understand them.

Which loser spent his time to make this?

los memes nunca fallan

Precisamente sí, soy ingeniero xdxd

That image is great, Hans.

Apparently not many differences, since we both have autismos ITT.

>fish
>tomatoes
Incredibly true. Good job.

>If you speak one language, can you understand the other?
Generally speaking, Portuguese is Spanish on hard mode. If you know Portuguese, you basically know Spanish, but not the other way around. Grammar is pretty similar so it reads similarly, but speaking is very very different.

>What are the cultural differences between Spain and Portugal?
Portuguese are more serious and conservative, relatively speaking.
Portuguese are more pessimistic and quiet, and generally discrete.
Portuguese are more practical.
Portuguese are more receptive to English/Anglo culture.
Portuguese are nicer to tourists.
Portuguese generally don't like Spaniards, but I think it's mostly because we only really know the ones that live closest to us, whom Spain equally hates. I can honestly say that I've never met a Spaniard that I liked outside of Galicia, although the good ones might be further east.

Not all of these make us necessarily better, but those are the ones I notice most. Obviously they are biased and I'm sure Spaniards have their counters.

>slowed down
Without meaning to offend, both Brazilian and Spanish sound somewhat like dumbed down Portuguese. Spanish more so. Like if you were talking to someone who's deaf and have to enunciate every single vowel. They are not slow speakers, though. They talk fast and loud as shit, and never shut up.

Conversely they say we sound like deaf Spaniard, so it ties up.

Brazil as a punching bag is our right. I can honestly tell you I never much liked Brazil as a principle because of all the noise and bullshit, but I've honestly never met a Brazilian I didn't like. You can sort of see some Portuguese niceness in them, which is cool. Their food is also GOAT, like Portuguese on vacation.

Is it common that Portuguese people go to vacation in Brazil or do you mostly stay in Europe?

we go to algarve,we have one of the best beaches in the world and also we have the biggest beach culture in europe

It's not common Portuguese go on vacation much nowadays. When we do we either go to Algarve/Alentejo depending on whether you want urban parties or rural quietness. Some go to souther Spain just to say they go to a different country, but those are usually the pretentious wankers. We have good enough beaches here, honestly.

A lot of people do go to Europe for non-beach vacations, though.

Brazil is a bit too far for most people to go to on a yearly basis. When people go there it's generally once or twice in a lifetime sort of thing, but like one third of the population goes there at least once. My grandparents went there after they retired (we have family there), but me and my parents never did, and we are a low-middle class family.

>we have the biggest beach culture in europe

what does that even mean?

I don't know what he meant either. Probably that everyone here goes to the beach because we're a coastal country with most of the population in the Atlantic border?

Although I don't know why we'd be any worse than Greece about it.

surfing,tanning,beach soccer,summer festivals near the beach(or on)

I like Portugal. Seems like you people are pretty much like us. I'd love to visit there.

I see a piramid husband
a piramid wife
and a piramid wife's son
You had ONE (1) (UN) job.

What's the best beer in Portugal and or Spain?

>because we're a coastal country with most of the population in the Atlantic border?

So we are, with the exception of Madrid, most of the population lives next to the coast and madrileños escape from their city during summer to invade our coasts.

>surfing,tanning,beach soccer,summer festivals near the beach(or on)

So stuff that even in Galicia we do despite having worse weather than in the south/east. Last weekend was the spanish surf competition in Doniños btw, and I was there.

In Portugal there's an eternal fight between Super Bock (North) and Sagres (South), although there's a few microbreweries that probably have better stuff.

Estrella Galicia and Alhambra in Spain. Can't talk about portuguese ones because I've only tried Super Bock and it is pretty bad but I was told that over there it tastes better.

I just downloaded it

You guys have more coast, but have less percentage of your people on the coast than we do. Spain is a pretty huge and has a lot of mountains throughout for a lot of its area. I think percentage-wise we win you out.

We also had a much earlier connection/dependence on the sea. Your discoveries even started later with Portuguese-designed ships and whatnot. We're a pretty ocean-inclined people. We are the third biggest fish consumers in the world, only topped by Iceland and Japan who are islands.

So yeah, we pretty much beat you in that regard, if only because Madrid is pulling your average the other way.

>to invade our coasts.
Let's be honest, they're ours :^)

Silent and respectful? Try to play CSGO with them. Ever since I moved to Spain (recently), I have been playing with new people. No more Russians really, which is fantastic. Russians and Polish people have been the insane toxic shits of the internet, it stopped being funny long time ago.

But man Portugese have been AWFUL in all the way.

Spanish arent that good in the game but usually chill enough. I dont speak the language too well so its hard to communicate though.

That being said, since I now live in Spain, its easy to travel to Portugal and other countries that are nearby. I do have some interest in the nature there. Especially Azores.

Which city is better, Lissabon or Porto?

>when someone asks something general about culture in Sup Forums

REEEEEEEEEEE FODECHINCHOS OUT

>You guys have more coast, but have less percentage of your people on the coast than we do
Not him, but that's not completely true when talking about coast culture.
Most of the population of Spain lives in the coast, and while most of the coast is not lived in -because Spain is empty- the provinces with people actually living there have gigantic population densities.

>Silent and respectful? Try to play CSGO with them
Even the most respectful people in the world turn trolls when playing that game.

But funny enough, I have had great and/or respectful teammates with Spanish, Danish and Irish people and have nothing bad to say about them with these experiences so far

>what is galicia, asturias and cantabria

These places were isolated from the Meseta due the mountains. Also, since neolithic times we traded with the british isles. Just go to the coast of Galicia (where most of the galicians live), there is a massive sea culture.

youtube.com/watch?v=iCWrjt8hCZk

And even basques basically were the first europeans to hunt whales and reached Iceland and Terranova during their expeditions.

Porto, by a country mile.

Portuguese are much more vocal on the internet, but in person we are generally nice, I've heard. We are not nice towards Spaniards especially in a competitive setting. That comes with the culture.

Right, but so do we. It's just Madrid that's holding you back. We have a lot of fishing cities and depend a lot on the sea. It's a culture thing, mate. We don't have those horse riding planes from Cervantes and whatnot.

Galicia is true, but Portugal is a giant, vertical stretch of Galicia in that regard.

I'm not sure why you guys are being so resistant to the concept of average, I wasn't even the guy that said that we have a beach culture.

Here's an idea for comparing the languages, I'll write an english sentence, you guys translate it into your respective language:

> People on Sup Forums still occasionally use the Carl the Cuck "don't you ever talk to me or my son again" meme even though it was ruined by ironic meme facebook pages

>mfw met a danish girl last carnival
>mfw she told me that about the portuguese man she met last summer
>mfw i acted like the stereotypical latin man
>mfw i banged her 3 times that carnival because of that
>mfw it was awesome
Get your shit together tugas

>Right, but so do we. It's just Madrid that's holding you back. We have a lot of fishing cities and depend a lot on the sea. It's a culture thing, mate. We don't have those horse riding planes from Cervantes and whatnot.
Spain is primarily a coast country.
As someone from Madird I can tell you that even I see it. We have the largest city, but we not the largest nor most populated region in the country. And here in Madrid we are kind of our thing, with our own differences to the fueros.

>microbreweries

I always thought those were just an American thing that started so we didn't just have piss beer like PBR or Bud Light. I like Sagres and haven't tried Super Bock. What are some microbreweries I should look for when I'm in Portugal in August?

Thanks, got any other recommendations too? Its cheap to fly from here, but I dont know anything about local places. What are some good cities or places to see when talking about the nature? I can go multiple times there next year, good to live nearby

Really? Why is that? I never heard the original Spanish accent to compare but for us it's a bit hard to understand our neighbours unless it's spoken slighly slow. Specially the Chileans

This make me want to study Portuguese. Italian is loud and annoying and stands in Japanese cafe talking to barista.

Portuguese attach their teeth when speaking. It's really hard to understand what they are saying. Brazilians on the other hand tend to vocalize in their speech but the problem is when you talk fast.

>Porto or Lisbon
>Porto
You get robbed by a wigger holding a AIDS infected needle
>Lisbon
You get robbed by a nigger holding a gun

Stay away from both IMO.

>Estrella Galicia
Based. One of the best brands sold here, if you have good taste

I don't drink, I just called it microbreweries because I thought that's the name. We have a couple of houses that make their own beer, whose quality a lot of people seem to like, although that might be the novelty of it.

We have a huge nature park "Gerês" up north. You can make a trip from Porto to there in like a hour at most, I think. Porto as a whole is a beautiful city. Very romantic and much cleaner than Lisbon, which has mostly become a working/business city. It still has some great monuments and place to see, though.

I don't know it well enough to recommend specific places, but I always liked the view from Gaia, it's neighbouring city across the Douro river. Try the food. Most foreign people love trying the Francesinha.

Near Lisbon, however, you have Sintra, which has a great place to look if you like Elven looking architecture in the middle of a forest and it's about enough to see in one afternoon. Pic related is Quinta da Regaleira.

As pessoas no Sup Forums volta e meia ainda usam a meme do Carl o Corno "nunca mais fales para mim ou para o meu filho" mesmo apesar de ter sido arruinidada pela meme irónica do facebook.

It's not that we like but the average menina Portuguesa is a hairy gnome. So it's bushy or right hand.

Also, where does this idiotic idea that Portuguese are quiet came from? Just try to get some sleep anywhere close to city areas and you will wanna shot yourself. Street noise is just appalling and young Portuguese, specially students, are just uncivilized swines.

It does not. Sagres and Bock are both piss-level beers. Better go for nice refreshing vinho verde.

That's some serious survivor bias. You only ever notice the ones that make noise.

We're certainly more quiet than a lot of the foreigners, and mostly stick to ourselves.

wut
is this a joke or something
you're the rude ones, talking too loud

not common

>Lissabon
german? lisbon is shit desu but it's bigger. like berlin really

Foreigners just join the yelling fest. The Portuguese are the cancer that is starting it. I travel a lot because of my work and only in Portugal, Spain and Italy I'm never booking a hotel close to city centers. So yeah, during the day Portuguese are autistic and reserved. Come night they turn into retarded chimps.