10GbE

How come you aren't on 10/G/bE ?

Just upgraded my RAID6 server to 10GbE from Gigabit and it even saturates my local SSD.

I can't hide this bulge in my pants.

That's only 4.3Gbps you nerd

because i dont have massive files to transfer

and it's wasted on a windows user too dumb to take a screenshot

no need for it.

That's what he said, it's saturating his SSD.

His problem is that he doesn't have an nvme SSD in m.2.

>How come you aren't on/doing/buying X?

What the fuck is this retarded opening statement I keep seeing here? What is it supposed to even mean? Why would I be doing the obscure thing you're doing, why are you inquiring as to why everyone else isn't doing it? Does everyone else here speak like a retard learning English?

First day, huh?

I need this, had to transfer 800gb last week and it took like 7 hours

No, tenth year. I'm just sick of seeing this retarded shit everywhere. Its such an idiotic way to speak.

over gigabit ethernet? not possible.

What router are you using?

>not teleporting quantum states
lmao

Are you retarded? That's literally what I said.

Also my RAID server doesn't have SSD (NVME or SATA), so that may be a limiting factor too even if my local drive was an NVME SSD.

Do I look like an alien?

It was literally a $300 upgrade, totally worth it.

You didn't say a single word in that post except (you)
You nerd.

i don't have a practical use for it

What did this mean?

>Just upgraded my RAID6 server to 10GbE from Gigabit and it even saturates my local SSD.
>saturates my local SSD
>saturates
>local SSD

That's right, you autist. You can't even have decent comprehension skills because you're off your meds you spazz.

No router. 10GbE routers are like $600+ right now and not affordable.

I just used a direct connection via Cat6a 25ft cable ($10 on amazon).

Here's the total cost:

Intel x540-t2 (2port) 10GbE for Server: $184
Intel x540-t1 (1port) 10GbE for Workstation: $99 off eBay new.
CAT6A cable: $10.

Not bad desu. Not bad at all.

I remember last year this would've cost me like $600+

>he only has a single 10GbE connection
pure pleb

And no they're not, they're under $100

You fucking retard, server has 2 and target comp has one.

10GbE is more than enough for now and I don't need to combine ports n shiet.

Also post link for $100 10GbE switch and I will suck your dick. It better not be some chink ali express crap.

>You fucking retard, server has 2 and target comp has one.
Thats still only a single 10GbE connection.

>Also post link for $100 10GbE switch and I will suck your dick
Off the top of my head, for a 2 port a Cisco Catalyst 3560E/3750E on Ebay. If you want to spend $300 for more (20-40) ports you can get a Cisco Nexus 5010/5020.

Now stay poor and retarded you literal nigger. And feel bad that you chose 10GBASE-T which just about no switch supports instead of the clearly superior SFP+ NICs.

>$100 on a used and discontinued switch from 5 years ago

Lmfao literally kys. Faggot.

>i wish i knew those existed before i wasted my money on 10gbase-t
>i wish i knew that the x520 NICs are far cheaper than my shitty x540s
>using a 5 year old switch is bad but using a 5 year old NIC is ok

stay poor user. not that you could even configure one since you clearly dont even know the difference between a router and switch as evidenced by the post I originally replied to.

op unironically butt blasted

You forget that to go with SFP+ I had to invest an extra $300+ for transceivers and expensive SFP cables you moron.

It literally cost me like $300 max for all of this and I can hit 1GB/sec if I need to for my main workstation.

You really don't think I didn't pull the trigger on SFP+?

I also need backwards compatibility with Gigabit you fucking dolt, I don't want to use tranceivers.

Also you retard, X520-DA2 doesn't support Winshit 10 and it's literally like 10 years old and only $15-20 cheaper than the X540-T2.

Go fucking cut yourself.

Thanks for the story OP, I haven't been keeping track of prices. I think I'm going to wait a while for the price to go down a bit more though.

>I had to invest an extra $300+ for transceivers and expensive SFP cables you moron.
No you dont you retard. I'm not here to hold your hand like the retard you are but SFP+ SR optics are under $10 each, SFP+ DACs are also dirt cheap.

>I also need backwards compatibility with Gigabit you fucking dolt, I don't want to use tranceivers.
You clearly dont since you're just connecting two computers directly together, and even then 1GBASE-T SFP modules are dirt cheap

>doesn't support Winshit 10
it does

>and it's literally like 10 years old and only $15-20 cheaper than the X540-T2.
They're both the same NIC you retard, the X520 and X540 both use Intel 82599 chips, they just have different PHYs

Anyways i need to go to sleep. stay buttblasted that you're too poor to afford a switch and have to directly connect your computers together, and that you were too retarded to buy NICs that you could even find switches form.

Running Intel E10G42AFDAGP5 on 2 computers with a SFP+ DAC cable. Didn't pay anything but stay away from these AF DA models. Really sacks of shit and getting them to work is a chore itself. These didn't even work with a switch.

I'm bottlenecked by my drives so its pretty much useless now.

> being this new, jet saying you have a decade Sup Forums under your belt
Sure kid.

In a few years, this will be standard on all new motherboards and routers. I'll wait until then.

I'm still waiting for terabit fiber in the house, that would be nice.

>Put server in the baement
>Transfer huge files and run a 4K 120hz signal over the same cable

Perhaps in 5-10 years.

>bragging about lan speeds
>too retarded to know how to take a screenshot

whatever you say kiddo

Thanks for the (You)s you clueless Redditors. Retarded language like OP's is a new, shitty phenomenon .

dont pretend to be a nigger its literally gone on since Sup Forums-chan's incubation

You're a literal nigger for trying to shit on RJ45's version of 10GbE.

That shit is inevitable you god-damn nigger. X299 and X370 mobos already have them built in.

I'm not running a fucking data center here, it's for a small office with 2 workstations at the moment.

Literally kys for thinking RJ45 is going away anytime soon when it's next in line to replace 1GbE.

No, it really hasn't.

>bought two Dell 10GbE rj45 Single Port Adapters
>80€ for both
>cant saturate them yet
D-D-Did i d-do good Sup Forums?

kek, didn't notice at first. he took a picture and then cropped it perfectly. honestly more work

reading this thread was painful. calling someone a retard in every reply is not the way to post here.

maybe he's running 10/100

then he needs gigabit ethernet, not this overpriced protocol.

But I am on 10Gigabit

Quanta LB6M and Mellanox Connectx-2 are cheap as fuck.

why does your vcenter box require 10gbe? or did you fuck up labeling it and meant to say vsphere?

it doesn't require it but I keep some ISOs on the local hard drive of the vcenter box so its nice to push stuff around at full speed.

It costs just 30 dollars to add 10 gigabit capability to any of my physical machines and plug them into the switch.

>has multiple boxes running 10gbe
>doesnt run vsan

>has multiple boxes
>still hasnt bothered to use a VCSA in HA mode instead of a dedicated box for vCenter

but I am using a server appliance. Its just the only vm running on that box atm.

why the hell would i run vsan when I have a 17TB Freenas array to take care of all my storage.

>only 17TB
>only freenas
Its like you dont even want to be able to withstand a server failure

yes but i am cheap. that 17tb cost me 600 dollars, and my servers are scrap scaveneged from a cave.

My 64TB cost me $0. Just take shit home from work.

thats called stealing user

>How come you aren't on 10/G/bE ?

Because the cards and the cabling costs a LOT. I plan on moving to 10gbe once I get a NAS, but the price is prohibitive, partially because I need to route a 6 meter cable through 2 walls. The cables are thicker too, so I need to drill crap as well (and remove the old cables before I start that).

I call it a e-waste recycling initiative.

>WIndows Server
Disgusting.

I have gigabit which is fast enough for even the highest bitrate videos.

>i dont know what fiber is

>i wish i could RAID 10 across servers with flash tiering and with protection against bit rot.

>SFP+ SR optics are under $10 each, SFP+ DACs are also dirt cheap.

Link to buy those or fuck off.

ebay. if you want new ones fiberstore has them for $16

tenth year alive?

Glusterfs can unify storage pools across servers, with redundancy and bit rot scrubbing.

>i dont know what fiber is

I know that then the cables are limited by the degree they bend to, which is a bad fucking idea when you want to route it in a house and expect it to not look bad.

any European outlets that have them for similar prices?

>Glusterfs
which you aren't running

anyways fags i gota go leave to drive downstate for the black sun. if this thread is still up in 8 hours i might be back

fuck if i know. import them? contact 10gtek, they're chinks who also make cheap optics.

nigger you install fiber in a home

hearty kek

>nigger you install fiber in the home
did you actually read the post you're replying to?

But I am.

I remember you.
That's some mad bandwidth.

Did the server itself cost less than the NICs?

lol op is retard

I don't have disks fast enough that 10Gb would matter for me or any autistic needs for such a thing in home use to justify the cost

>How come you aren't on 10/G/bE ?
Unless you keep moving files all the freaking time I don't see any reason to buy that.

>used is bad
>discontinued is bad
>5 years old is bad
get a life, loser

>not running SFP+ for half the cost of that

>only freenas
>posts screenshot of windows

omg youre retarded. freenas is good and windows is worthless

>why
Because:
1) most of my computers are wirelessly connected to the router, and the most used ones are tablets
2) the 10Gbps plan is 3.5x the price of Gbps plan
3) no need to buy a 10Gbps adapter, nor fell for meme 5Gbps / 10Gbps LAN motherboards. Anyway not an option for tablets
4) storage goes to large capacity HDD, SSD only for OS and programs
5) not running EXSi sort of stuff

>the 10Gbps plan is 3.5x the price of Gbps plan

Yo, where do you live? I gotta move where they have 10Gbps internet.

10 gig ethernet is fucking retarded.

even for short runs direct attachment is better

Cool. You're a few years too late to get a boner from that though.

I'm just going to get two NICs with 4x GbE and use link aggregation.

i don't transfer that many files onto my ssd
and my hdd is too slow for that to be worth it
though it would be a lie to say that i don't want such a thing

I spent under $300 for Server side 2port upgrade, a Cat 6a cable and 1port NIC for workstation.

How's that expensive? Mind you I didn't go SFP because I'd like to keep costs low as CAT6A cables are cheap and I need backwards compatibility without transceivers.

>Move home
>Why are my files transfering slow?
>tfw network only supports 100mbps

It was expensive back then, it's more affordable now for most people and it will likely replace 1GbE in a year or two.

Modern mobos have 10GbE now built in.

RAID?

i considered this, and i probably will do it once i´ll get to replace my old hdds.

Lol so mad

You're a retard

>replies: 88
>posters: 42
Welcome to the thread OP's poor decisions vs the world