How would you figure out the IP address of a device connected to a wired network that has a static IP address which you...

How would you figure out the IP address of a device connected to a wired network that has a static IP address which you don't know and you can't just type ipconfig/ifconfig in a cmd/terminal. The wired network consists of your PC, the device of which you want to find the IP address and a shitty old Edimax router.

cmon man that's like basic shit man

Yeah I know, use nmap. But what if the device has it's IP for example set to 10.100.10.1?

And not 192.168.1.* as is set for the DHCP sever an the PC.

>what is ARP?
nmap? this is only useful AFTER you get the IP address of the device assuming that you are looking for some ports open

Can you access router

Yes.

Wireshark

look for ip leases if dhcp simply look for clients list, most routers have it

Yeah I know that. But this device didn't show on the list.

Then it's not an IP assigned by the router and the device wont be able to connect to anything?

ahh I think i get what you mean - for example, you just buy a new switch, connect it up but cant find the management interface?

get the manual, look up the default address - and how to reset it to default - if its not on the default then reset it.

to get to it if its on a totally different network, get another device (laptop, raspi etc) force it to a static address on the desired subnet then try connecting to the first device.

that sort of thing?

Exactly. It's an industrial equipment that has a RJ45 connector. The manual for this device lists an example IP adress, but when I tried it it couldn't connect. I thought that it would get it's IP assigned by the DHCP server but the list of connected deviced only showed my PC.

*devices

arp -a

This would not work: the arp table only gets an entry if the one of the devices talks to the other. If no communication has ever been in place, the arp table won't show the device's MAC and IP address. I am not sure if nmap can be used to run a scan/query of MACs

If the default IP is outside the range of your router, you ain't connecting to shit. A better bet is to connect the device directly to your computer and set your computer's IP to the same network (like 10.100.10.3)

I thought that you need a crossover ethernet cable for that. I could set the network on the router to be 10.0.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.0.0.0 so I have a wide range to work with.

When a device is added to the network it broadcasts its presence. Your arp table will contain all the devices on the network.

Only on switches

Considering OPs device is a router it might be on different subnet

you don't need crossover cables for anything nowadays, cisco has auto mdix

Do it on your router

Neat

Check the ARP table or ping the broadcast address.

More than just switches.

Switches will pick up the MAC address, but when a device joins a network it sends out a TCP broadcast which all other devices on the network will log in their ARP tables.

yes, but the point is devices on different subnets won't and we don't know if the OPs device is on the same network

True, but OP hasn't suggested that they are on different subnets. It is a wired network so unless he has gone through the trouble of setting up different subnets it should be around.