Hey Sup Forums I'm currently troubleshooting a wireless network for a resort...

hey Sup Forums I'm currently troubleshooting a wireless network for a resort, their network went down when the 'server' handling the firewall made itself read only and started giving 'fatal error unable to create lock file bad file descriptor (9)'. They're using PFSense 2.3.2

I'm thinking this happened because they just re upped their DNS (DYNDNS) and changed their password and because of that the server shat itself. So i'm wondering how the fuck do i fix this? tried remounting the drive to access it but it won't let me. The only thing I have access to is the shell and and the filter logs.

So, do you think its possible to take the server out completely and replace it with a managed switch? Also any ideas on what I should charge these guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=135466.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>replace the router with a managed switch
>what should i charge them
>its dns

you should charge them nothing, and find someone who actually knows what they are doing. you are just wasting their time

forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=135466.0

fuck off Xerant

no replacing the server with a switch (the server is a 6 year dell thats sitting on a self 10 feet in the air covered in dust) I think the HD shat itself but won't know till i get access to it tomorrow.
The setup is a fucking shitshow, they have 6 ubiquiti ap around the property and 4 swtiches connected to 3 different routers broadcasting 12 different networks and most of them are overlapping.

sounds like they're running pfsense on an sd card which went rip.

> (OP)
>>replace the router with a managed switch
>>what should i charge them
>>its dns
>you should charge them nothing, and find someone who actually knows what they are doing. you are just wasting their time
This.

Ensure the storage isn't full. Also, while at it, upgrade them to opnsense.

Upgrade them to something that isn't roll-your-own trash. Why any company would use some free shit when they could have 24/7 support is beyond reason.

T H I S
H
I
S

How old is OP? I'm guessing under 20. I wonder if he's saying words like "cuz" to the client.

This

I really wonder, heh?
Home use I have no problem. Deal with your own BS.

But as a company? Let's say a minor one, who has the bullshit with that? You probably have the resources to pay for a god damn product and have 24/7 support in case things goes ape shit.

Yes. Why turn an old server into a rock solid firewall when you could pay licensing fees for every little thing you want to do and let the vendor archive all your traffic.

Yep. Sounds like the storage is full

You can buy support for pfSense, but it really takes a complete moron to fuck it up bad enough to need it.

Yeah but you catch my point though.
I don't get how OP is having issues with it and expect to get paid.

>Upgrade them to something that isn't roll-your-own trash.

Like what?

Are you 12? Jesus read the documentation you fuck.

>Why any company would use some free shit when they could have 24/7 support is beyond reason.
Yet pfsense has commercial 24/7 support available worldwide.
Do you have a clue what you're talking about, user?

Yes, free and commercial.
There's two different thing and theirs is probably unsupported free package.